94 Lumina Euro 4T60-E Tranny prob

luminator94

Every now and then my tranny will act up. Sometimes when I pull up to a stop sign or whatever and accelerate to go again, the car will just rev, like its just in neutral. Sometimes if I rev it up good, and the RPM's come back down to a grand it will kick into gear, or sometimes I'll have to put it into park and back into Drive. The fluid/filter/and gasket all have been replaced. The fluid is Vavoline Max Life for Transmissions. Could this be the sign of my tourque converter starting to go bad? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Aaron

P.S.- Car is currently at 107k

these transmissions are very sensitive...first have you properly checked the fluid level? (basically you drive the car around gently until operating temp, then come to a stop, go through all the gears on the shifter, placew in park, then with engine running check fluid) if all checks out, grab a bottle of "trans medic" from an auto parts store. I normally say "screw you" to additives but this one cured a similar problem to yours...my car would take a minute to engage into drive when cold. Added the bottle a year ago and the problem hasn't returned, and I've changed the fluid twice since then! I just recently added a bottle today and the trans feels a lot healthier, even at 162,000 miles. Good luck

Yes, I checked my fluid. I'm very religious on preventive maintenance. I change my oil every 3 grand, but everyone tells me to do it every 7500, screw that. But anyways, I did change my fluid/filter/and gasket about 7 thousand miles ago. I will try that additive. Keep in mind that the tranny only does this at normal operating temp. It hasn't done in awhile now, so I don't know, I think I'm ready to change the name of my car to "christine". Thanks for the advise, I'll give it a try.

Aaron

Also, would it be a good idea to change my timing chain? I'm on 107k on my 3.1L, its not acting up or anything, I just don't want it to break on me someday.

But this only happens maybe once or twice a month. When I did change my old tranny fluid, it wasn't burnt or brownish. Also, when I removed the pan, there was absolutely not once trace of any metal shavings anywhere. Going down the road, it shifts perfectly. Possibly just an occasional electrical prob? I hope so, I think that you should be able to get more than 107k out of a tranny, but maybe not. Or maybe these trannys are known for clunking out early?

Aaron