Installing lowering springs. help!

GrandPrixGTP95

Ok, i'm going to get my ST lowering springs put on the car, finally, next week. Would anyone happen to have any instructions or anything to help me along the way? Like the tools i'll need? I'm sure i have everything i need, i'm just double-checking!

Guest TurboSedan

you'll definately need a strut spring compressor. i just removed my stock springs from my '97 strut/knuckle assemblies a couple weeks ago. installation is opposite of removal. pretty easy but be careful with the spring compressor. i bought mine from Harbor Freight Tools and it sucks. i was almost scared to use the piece of crap. but it only cost like $10 and it got the job done. also, you'll be taking the complete strut/knuckle out of the car, so you'll need to undo the sway bar ends, a pickle fork, a BFH & an 18mm socket to undo the lower ball joint. put your foot down on the lower control arm and swing the strut/knuckle assembly out of the way so the lower ball joint stud isn't inside the lower control arm. then remove the 3 bolts underhood on top of the strut tower. get an axle nut and unbolt the big axle bolt, then push the axle thru the strut/knuckle assembly. it should come right out then :) oh yeah you might need a 2 jaw puller if the axles don't come out of the hub easily. or you could just unbolt the hubs from the strut knuckle (four bolts on the backside) and pull the axles out of the tranny with a slide hammer. if you do that tho get ready to catch tranny fluid :) the whole axle will come straight out of the strut/knuckle assembly this way, but i would leave the axles in and just push the axles thru so they are out of the way if you can.

actually, the job is pretty easy really hth

joshua (note: i'm really stoned right now so maybe someone should confirm or correct my info :) )

EDIT: oh yeah! you'll need to undo the tierod end with a pickle fork/BFH. actually i've used either a 2 or 3 jaw puller i think.....

joshua