• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SrMichi

• RobertISaar

• Breakdown

• White93z34

I took the upper Intake Off and checked all of the vacuum lines I could find and they where all good. The one thing I found was that the metal nipple on the intake that the brake booster connects to was blocked with some crap. It looked like mud or something. I'm going to burn the fuel in the tank and put some higher octane fuel and take it for inspection sat morning.

I took the upper Intake Off and checked all of the vacuum lines I could find and they where all good. The one thing I found was that the metal nipple on the intake that the brake booster connects to was blocked with some crap. It looked like mud or something. I'm going to burn the fuel in the tank and put some higher octane fuel and take it for inspection sat morning.

I was just about to recommend higher octane fuel. The higher octane fuels have less ethanol out here. Not sure how it is out there, but you get the idea.

I've heard of people pouring some acetone in their gas tank as a way to help them pass emissions testing.

I was just about to recommend higher octane fuel. The higher octane fuels have less ethanol out here. Not sure how it is out there, but you get the idea.

I've heard of people pouring some acetone in their gas tank as a way to help them pass emissions testing.

I've heard vinegar as well. No inspection here (thank GOD) so I'm not about to try it.

I suggest that if you can find a bottle of this stuff locally, give it a shot. We used to carry it at our auto parts store, my dad trusted it to work on our family's vehicles. The "guarantee" is on the back of the bottle. Don't remember it exactly but I think they guarantee to refund double your purchase price if you fail emissions after using the product.

I suggest that if you can find a bottle of this stuff locally, give it a shot. We used to carry it at our auto parts store, my dad trusted it to work on our family's vehicles. The "guarantee" is on the back of the bottle. Don't remember it exactly but I think they guarantee to refund double your purchase price if you fail emissions after using the product.

i've seen that a million times by now, but i have yet to discover how it works... i imagine the MSDS would be a good start, but if it will actually guarantee the product, it must have some merit.

Oh yeah I also changed the thermostat. And I could try that bottle that guaranties you to pass. If it won't pass inspection on sat with he higher octane fuel I'll try the Bottle.

do they check for aftermarket chips? if not, i could burn you a chip at cost that actually looks at the O2 at idle...

this offer still stands... i believe it would cost me $45.15 plus whatever it costs to ship to you(~$5).

wanna sell me your car instead? :dance:

more seriously, could it be a bad cat? does it rattle? my 92 lumina had high HC count, but I just passed a hair under the line. the converter was a rattling MFer.

wanna sell me your car instead? :dance:

more seriously, could it be a bad cat? does it rattle? my 92 lumina had high HC count, but I just passed a hair under the line. the converter was a rattling MFer.

seems like a bad cat would be more of an issue when the engine speed raises... then again, i don't care for emissions crap, i just use the MPG boost that comes along with some of it.

A slight misfire could be raising your HC count...how old are the plugs and spark plug wires? Additionally, a burned exhaust valve can do the same, particularly if it's significantly lowering compression. Additionally, a burned exhaust valve isn't sealing well during the power stroke, which could push unburned air/fuel out by the valve seat and into the exhaust before ignition....which would also raise the O2 content of the exhaust....which would then be detected by the O2 sensor, which in turn would enrich the mixture, raising HC even higher.

This might sound obvious, but in what condition is the O2 sensor? Its obviously running rich for a reason, and the other explanations just don't pass the smell test (no pun intended).

Also, the use of higher octane fuel may very well be pushing up, not down, the HC number, as the higher octane fuel is more difficult to ignite relatively speaking.

The cat was changed last year sometime before the june Dayton meeting with a universal High flow magnaflow cat. The plugs and wires and everything tune up wise was replaces no more than 15000 miles ago. I guess I could throw a new o2 sensor on Sunday and take it back to Inspection on Tuesday.

About the chip how does it exactly work?

Hi flow converter generally means it won't convert very much...

generally, this is very true.

however, that doesn't really explain why it works well at a higher flowrate than a lower flowrate, especially after it's already been warmed up...

as far as the chip: changing nothing else, the ECM would quit ignoring the O2 sensor at idle, allowing the lean condition that causing you to fail to be corrected by the O2 sensor. normally, the ECM relies on tables that use IAC steps as a reference to how much air is going into the engine, and therefore how much fuel is being used. now if the IAC gets loaded up with crap, or there is a small vacuum leak somewhere, this method becomes entirely worthless. i'm not entrely sure why GM decided to do it this way, but that's how it happened...

Just about to suggest a cat, but you go the same cat as I have. Man Im glad my cars are exempt. Last time I had to pass emissions, I used GM top engine cleaner and had it running for 1/2 hr.

I have heard many stories of so called hi-flow converters hosing a car on emissions. make sure it is GOOD and up to temperature when you take it in. make the fans cycle a few times and generally run the piss out of it beforehand. Even with a screwed up EGR system my old 3.4 euro was able to fly through emissions no problem.

i know your car has pretty low miles and spent a good bit of time in NYC so I would imagine it spent a lot of time idling in traffic. I would seafoam it if you have not already.

what all have you replaced to this point?

Well I did all that stuff yesterday and put some seafoam and some 93 octane fuel and it still fail it did better but fail.

7b81dc27.jpg

Mike,

I don't want to mock you or anything, but 270 is better than something or other that you posted before but it's effectively horrendous!! I think that the Cdn standards are actually much higher IIRC, like 200 PPM.

My Cutlass (Same engine) with 265,000km on it, an engine which couldn't hold an idle for its life and smelled horrible. You probably have a carbon build-up that won't go away without a supplement to the gas tank.

Also run the car at WOT a couple of times on the way to the test.

:dance::dance::dance: DFFTW!!

Mike,

I don't want to mock you or anything, but 270 is better than something or other that you posted before but it's effectively horrendous!! I think that the Cdn standards are actually much higher IIRC, like 200 PPM.

My Cutlass (Same engine) with 265,000km on it, an engine which couldn't hold an idle for its life and smelled horrible. You probably have a carbon build-up that won't go away without a supplement to the gas tank.

Also run the car at WOT a couple of times on the way to the test.

:dance::dance::dance: DFFTW!!

Wow was I wrong. 220 is probably exactly the same as in Canada for that year and car, AMY (two years ago) she goes in this year needed 200 or less. The results?? AmyDyno.jpg Let's just say that your car is 135 times worse for carbon emissions, AMY was not "prepped" for the test.

Dam have not had any time to work on the car all week but was able buy that g2p bottle yesterday and I'm going to get new 02 sensor and check all wires and plugs. I took it to work yesterday and I have already used up 3/4 of the tank i was doing WOTs everytime Getting in the highway. About the oil change I think I changed it before the second test. I'm hoping that the temp will help out and won't cool of the cat to much while the idiots at the DMV try to figure out how to test a obd1 car.

Do WOT on the WAY to the test, otherwise you're pretty much wasting gas, also (if possible) plan for a dry day with low humidity.