Getrag 284 Swap Complete Parts List

Danspeed1

Hello,

Does anybody have a complete parts list for a Getrag 284 Swap? (Meaning does anybody have a parts list of what I will need to do the swap in a non-284 car. I don't want to forget anything,

Dan

trans

axles

flywheel

clutch

shifter cables

shifter assembly

firewall plate with clutch and brake pedals on it

wiring harness and vacuum lines for clutch/brake/cruise switches

trans mount

clutch master and slave

The thing about this swap is theres so many ways to do it and it varys depending on the car/year your putting the stuff in. It says you have a 95, so this is no bolt in.

.: Trans :. Since your doing the 284 swap you'll obviously need the 284. Make sure you have get the clutch fork and jack shaft/axle bracket.

.: Axles :. You'll need them from a 284 car. 282 and 4t60e Axles will not work. Make sure you get them with ABS RINGS if you want to keep your ABS (if you had it in the first place.)

.: Flywheel/Clutch :. I would get these parts new from AZ, The clutch can only be from a 284 because of its weird pull type clutch. Flywheel should be the same for all w-bodys - i could be wrong.

.: Shifter Cables :. I thought 282 and 284 cables were the same but im told theyre not so cables have to be from a 284 car. Maybe the shifter too?

.: Firewall Plate/Pedal Bracket Assembly :. This giant thing can come from a 282 or 284 w-body. Because you have a 94 you'll have to do a decent amount of work to fit it. It wont go in with your stock firewall insulation, it wont clear wiring, it wont clear the dash, your steering column will not bolt to it and probably a few other things.

.: Pre94 Brake Booster :. Yes its smaller, no it wont stop as well but it will clear the clutch master cylinder; your current booster wont.

.: Wiring :. Ugh well if you want to do it right youll need to do a obd2 swap or obd1 swap. You have to fck with the computer to get it to run how it should. Youll also need the connectors to the VSS and the reverse lights.

.: Trans Mount :. Buy it at autozone. Dont reuse mounts.

.: Clutch MC/SC :. Try to get the MC and SC as an assembly. Because you can get the MC and SC from an auto parts store but you can not get the hydraulic hose!

Hope this helps :) . PM me if you need any thing else.

Edited by gpchris

Ouch! I was hoping this was going to be easier... I have the 284 trans. I think I found someone who can sell me the rest.

Does anyone on here actually have a 95 Monte Carlo with a 284 swapped in or will I be the first?

Dan

Maybe instead of waiting for the parts to fall into your hands, you should try sourcing them yourself.. There's a lot of 1992 5 speed W's hiding out there.

I've been looking for a parts car daily for the last 6 months.........

I see you have a parts car listed in your signature.... are you suggesting you are looking to sell me the parts I need?

Dan

I don't have any or my 5 speed stuff for sale at the moment, but I would be happy to help you locate a 5 speed car or the parts you're needing. Where are you located?

Orange County, New York about 30 minutes from New York City...

I figured that's what you were getting at,.. since I noticed the parts car in your signature....

Thanks for the help,

Dan

The 284 Trans mount is NOT sold in auto part stores anyomore.. So Good luck finding one if your tans didnt come with one!!

I thought 282 and 284 mounts were the same? I just bought a 282 mount at autozone a month ago.

"firewall plate with clutch and brake pedals on it?" I was at the u-pull it yesterday pulling the clutch pedal out of a 89 gp and thought I would need the bracket the pedal swings on, well it looked like I needed to spend another day at the u pull it yard for this bracket. so I looked at three grand prix's and 2 other w-body's (all auto trans) the brackets where the same identical to the standard car. all the cars had the hole for the clutch safety switch and the hole to bolt the pedal in place. I put some thought into this, I check drawings and occasionally do drafting when a manufacturer makes a special use part they try to modify an existing part to mate to this unique part. It cost less to modify a drawing and manufacture a part for all variations instead of qualifying a new design. The brackets had the room for the additional holes so it was a no brainier type of change. Now is my pmiii abs breaks going to prevent me from the swap?

"firewall plate with clutch and brake pedals on it?" I was at the u-pull it yesterday pulling the clutch pedal out of a 89 gp and thought I would need the bracket the pedal swings on, well it looked like I needed to spend another day at the u pull it yard for this bracket. so I looked at three grand prix's and 2 other w-body's (all auto trans) the brackets where the same identical to the standard car. all the cars had the hole for the clutch safety switch and the hole to bolt the pedal in place. I put some thought into this, I check drawings and occasionally do drafting when a manufacturer makes a special use part they try to modify an existing part to mate to this unique part. It cost less to modify a drawing and manufacture a part for all variations instead of qualifying a new design. The brackets had the room for the additional holes so it was a no brainier type of change. Now is my pmiii abs breaks going to prevent me from the swap?

No plenty of clearance with the PM3 in there for the clutch master..

BTW are you using all the 5 speed parts from that 89 GP you found in the yard?

I thought 282 and 284 mounts were the same? I just bought a 282 mount at autozone a month ago.

Yes for the 282 autozone sells them.. 5x.xx dollars if IIRC.. i bought mine for 4x.xx dollars last year from autozone.. so the price has gone up within a year.. who knows how much longer they will stock it for..:confused:

I need to go back for the stub shaft, I found out about it yestarday. The mastercylinder was busted so I did not grab either, I might grab the hose.