Weak convertible top pump??

George

The top pump seams weak is it will not lower the top all the way down. It will not raise the top up, once the top is helped up the first foot the pump raises the top just fine. This was with the engine running.

The pump resivoir is full and I asume you check it with the top up?

Is a pump rebuild kit available or just a pump/motor assy?

Would it help enough to lubricate the pivot pionts on the top?

The outside Temp. was about 60 deg. F.

Any ideas? Thanks.

over the last few years mine has gotten weaker as well i was planning on replacing the pump i havent heard of an actual rebuild kit but im sure there are shops that can

I've not looked really closely, but at a quick glance, the Cutlass convertible top pump looks a lot like the pump in my LeBaron convertible. If so, there are WAY more of those out there than our cars...Chrysler sold more LeBaron convertibles PER YEAR than Olds sold for the entire run of the W-body convertible. Might be worth checking out at the local junkyard.

I'm not aware of any......looking online, the replacement pumps for our cars show the entire model run using the same pump every year.

I've been saving a pump and rams in case I ever need them. As soon as I sell them I might. I pulled them from a dead 94 for my 94 and tested the pump on the bench. If you ever get desperate, contact me.

This is a very good idea. I kept meaning to do that for my LeBaron, but never got around to it. Over the winter, BOTH top rams broke at the mounting pins...they're plastic at the mounting pins, so it shouldn't have come as any great suprise. Fortunately, one of my local junkyards had just pulled in a '94...it cost me $70.00, but since I didn't have the luxury of shopping around, that was still a decent deal for two. They sell for around $150.00 to $200.00 EACH new.

That's where I got the top rams for the LeBaron. Their prices are very good, and I usually check online to see when new cars have come in. I've gotten a bunch of stuff from them, I"m usually there every 3 weeks or so.

• 1 year later...

Mine was doing the same thing, but i did two things to fix it.

1. I put in a bigger replacement alternator from GM. It puts out more amps to the hydraulic pump and that seemed to help a lot. Please dont reply back and tell me that im putting too much amps to the pump, because this was suggested by the GM dealership and they said that is what they would do. I also build electrical circuits for a living and did the math, its just fine.

2. Instead of buying a new pump go to a place that sells farm machinery. Farms use all sorts of hydraulic pumps for everything. I brought mine to a john deer dealership and they rebuilt the entire pump for 45 bucks. All new seals and fittings.

That was all about 2 or three years ago and i haven't had any problems with it since.

Mine was doing the same thing, but i did two things to fix it.

1. I put in a bigger replacement alternator from GM. It puts out more amps to the hydraulic pump and that seemed to help a lot. Please dont reply back and tell me that im putting too much amps to the pump, because this was suggested by the GM dealership and they said that is what they would do. I also build electrical circuits for a living and did the math, its just fine.

2. Instead of buying a new pump go to a place that sells farm machinery. Farms use all sorts of hydraulic pumps for everything. I brought mine to a john deer dealership and they rebuilt the entire pump for 45 bucks. All new seals and fittings.

That was all about 2 or three years ago and i haven't had any problems with it since.

Thanks for those tips! :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

Come to find out I had an internal leak in the left lift cylinder. I found some in the j/y, replaced both and installed the heim joints and all is good. I just had a cloth top and rear curtain installed - no more gorilla tape and no more leaks - very nice.