Spark plug gap HELP

Jonpro03

On my TGP:

I just bought some nice ACDelcos Iridium tips and when I went to gap them, they are already set at like .060

I wanted to put them at .038 but it has to be at least .045. I tried using needle nose pliers to pull it out but I can't get it to budge and Im afraid to ruin these plugs I just paid 7.50 each for.

How do I gap these?

I did a little checking around on the internet...the consistent thing I found was DO NOT GAP ACDELCO IRIDIUM Plugs. Leave them the way they came.

Which runs counter to everything I've ever read before about spark plugs...

On my TGP:

I just bought some nice ACDelcos Iridium tips and when I went to gap them, they are already set at like .060

I wanted to put them at .038 but it has to be at least .045. I tried using needle nose pliers to pull it out but I can't get it to budge and Im afraid to ruin these plugs I just paid 7.50 each for.

How do I gap these?

Exactly. That's what I would have expected...personally, I've never put a set of plugs in any car without setting/checking the gap first. That's why it sounded so wrong to me--I agree with you.

Thats really weird... It says right on the box:

SET GAP PER VEHICLE SPECIFICATION

Iridium is supposed to be very hard...but generally, that would also mean brittle. Not sure how they'd hold up to having the electrode bent..

They look like regular side-electrode plugs, at least according to Google images. Why can't you just gap 'em like normal plugs?

I thought the side electrode is just regular ol' iron and only the tip of the center electrode and that little dot on the side electrode is the only part that's Iridium? That was how it was on the Delco platinums.

Usually if the starting gap is larger than I want, I just gently tap the side electrode on a hard surface till it's right.

So i found this:

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/sparkplugs/identification.jsp

Im assuming they cant be gaped as they come pregaped.

Then I found this on NGK.com (the iridiums in my 96 are ngk):

Should I gap my Iridium Plugs?

The manufacturers say NO.

This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers say an iridium spark plug will run so much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor, that they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.

Personally, we at sparkplugs.com, gap our iridium plugs for our own vehicles (we’re rebels). If you insist on gapping your iridium plug, please refer to Proper Gapping for instruction.

Then this:

Proper Gapping

In most cases the factory set gap should conform to your vehicle specifications. However if it is necessary to widen the gap, do so with a tool that only pulls back on the ground electrode without touching the center electrode or the porcelain. To close the gap on a plug, gently tap the plug, electrode first on a hard surface.

71.jpg

I thought the side electrode is just regular ol' iron and only the tip of the center electrode and that little dot on the side electrode is the only part that's Iridium? That was how it was on the Delco platinums.

Usually if the starting gap is larger than I want, I just gently tap the side electrode on a hard surface till it's right.

correct, the only iridium is on the tip of the plug, not the ground strap.

a light tapping with a light hammer or rubber mallet may get the results you're looking for, but my gapper is able to open and close the gap with relative ease...

If you're looking at the stock boost gauge, it is off. If its chipped and you really are running 12 PSI, then yes, run .030.

a very useful tip for closing gap on spark plugs that i use is a soft piece of wood on a table. Then i take and press the ground into the wood till I feel it move slightly and it has always worked perfect for me. What I recommend is trying it out on a few old spark plugs first for good measure :mrgreen: