Instrument cluster 93 Cutlass

BN

On my 93 Cutlass the car ran out of gas when gauge read between 1/4 and E. The temp gauge regularly goes to hot and the check gauges light comes on. Mechanic checked it with infared temp device and it shows the temp is normal and not overheating. He cahnged sending unit but no change. He thinks cluster may be bad. Anybody have a simlar experience? Is switching clusters an easy thing to do?

You may just want to try resoldering the chip on the cluster. My check gauges light would come on and off randomly and the fuel light would stay lit when I had more than half a tank. There is a write up on here somewhere that I used. It's a prety easy thing to try worked great for me you just need a fine tip soldering iron.

the analogue clusters are not very common to failure but they are still electric so i would say try a used one from a yard as there are tons around.

My gas gauge on mine was always off by a little then I upgraded to the UB3 and everything was much better

a replacement cluster is 92-93 only.

the gas gauge is more likely to be the fault of a dirty sender in your fuel tank. If you have not had the car long, or have had it parked for a while, you will have to burn through a few tanks of gas before it starts working correctly. Sitting tends toallow the sender to oxidize on the contact area enough that the guage will not work correctly. You can also try adding some seafoam to the tank to see if it helps.

I would try a new cluster from what you describe the coolant temp gauge doing.

Unless you had a sending unit and a coolant temp gauge fail at the same time.

oh yeah... on your car there are two temp senders. the one by the thermostat hidden under the intake throttle body area is just for the ECM/PCM. the one for the gauges is on the driver's side face of the front head. see the green wire? can't miss it. makes sure that the mechanic changed that one.

here you go:

ecm/pcm:

com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServlet%3Flanguagecd%3DEN%26countrycd%3DUS%26user%3DInternetUser%26mfgname%3D%26prodlinecd%3D%26acpartnbr%3D213-4396

Gauge sender:

10232601.jpg

I just did this for a lumina cluster and will be producing a writeup soon. Chris Dinunzio told me how and said that this style of odometer is used on alot of gms. All I really have to do is upload the pictures and post a description with them

If I change the cluster and it works is there a way to switch odometers or set the new one to my current miles ?

very easy. the innards of the cluster is very modular. in fact, you can get any 92-93 analog cluster and switch the circuit boards on the back and maintain the 3.4 faceplate.

I am certain I have one of these clusters. need me to dig it out???

If I change the cluster and it works is there a way to switch odometers or set the new one to my current miles ?

very easy. the innards of the cluster is very modular. in fact, you can get any 92-93 analog cluster and switch the circuit boards on the back and maintain the 3.4 faceplate.

Oh yeah I forgot thats only needed when changing to a different type of cluster that doesnt use the same odometer.

Interested, PM sent.

• 1 year later...

On my way home today my gauges died in my cutty...If u have the lights on it dings as if the car was off and the lights was left on...My turn signals work but nothing else on the dash does...Help please!