The Monte is home.

Hippie

Very nice, looks just like a '96 Z34 I drove several months back. Good stuff, let us know how that baby turns out. :)

Here is what I'll be swapping the Cad 4.9 into.

It has some door dings and the interior needs some serious cleaning but it's all there and all mine. Now the fun begins.

not to be an ass or anything, but the 4.9 isnt all that strong of a motor. i raced a good friends of mine dad's 4.9 caddy(true they weigh a lot), but i beat him up bad. he could only hold up right off the line. truth be told, i think the 3.4 has more oppportunity.

not to be an ass or anything, but the 4.9 isnt all that strong of a motor. i raced a good friends of mine dad's 4.9 caddy(true they weigh a lot), but i beat him up bad. he could only hold up right off the line. truth be told, i think the 3.4 has more oppportunity.

Case in point about my post in the other thread..........Who gives a shit??? Hippie wants the 4.9 in there, he doesnt care how fast or slow it is, thats what he has and thats what hes going to do. Can you not realize that???

Robby

Case in point about my post in the other thread..........Who gives a shit??? Hippie wants the 4.9 in there, he doesnt care how fast or slow it is, thats what he has and thats what hes going to do. Can you not realize that???

Robby

Thanks Robby.

Aaron, I'm gonna be 48 next Monday, it ain't about racin' anymore................ it's about enjoyng the whole car, zipping through long sweeping S curves, long Sunday drives, cruise nights, the drone of V-8 exhaust at cruise RPM on a hot summer night, especially in a car that never came with a V-8. The look on peoples faces when it fires up and instead of that V-6 raspy growl they hear the rumble of a V-8, albeit a small V-8 but it's still 299 cubes and puts out a lot more power than a '65 283/220HP which in a 3400 Lb. '65 Malibu with a 4 speed and 3.31 gears was a fun little car. 220 HP in '65 was the equivalent of about 140 the way cars are rated now and the 283 wasn't a torque motor. The Cad is rated at 200HP and 285 LbFt stock and I plan to improve on that a little bit. The Monte is around 3400 Lbs., several hundred lbs. lighter than the Deville the 4.9 came out of, it has a 4 speed auto with OD and I am swapping the Z34's 3.06 gears for 3.33's. Pretty close to the '65 Malibu but I'm willing to bet it will pull a lot harder and at about twice the MPG's. I like the sound of a V-8 and the smooth pull of a motor with low end torque. 4.9's are S-M-O-O-T-H and torquey. The best part is I'll have less in this whole damn car than some people have in their paint job AND there won't be 20 others just like it when I'm done. Not that I know of anyway. 8)

point in case...Aarons opinions(though he has a right to them) are based soley on the fact the he is bitter towards everyone that has a car that runs. But thats okay because im sure he can probably push his car faster than mine can go right now. BUT i could give a rats ass if i lost that one 8)

Or is that case in point lol...hell if i know

ok thats fine, im just saying you wont see much as far as performance goes, i dont know if you have driven a 4.9 b4 or not.

You're comparing apples to oranges. A 4.9 Deville is several hundred pounds heavier, has 2.84 gears, a tight torque converter, the PCM is programmed for nearly undetectable shifts and gas mileage and the air intake and exhaust are designed to operate in "stealth" mode. It was never intended to be a "runner", by the same token neither was the original Chevy 400 small block, those things were HORRENDOUS mutts when they came out in 1970 but let 'em breathe a little in something a bit lighter with some decent gearing and they would kick butt. Take a '69 Z28 302 motor and put it in the Kingswood Estate wagon the 400 came out of with it's low stall converter and 2.41 gears and you'd be lucky if the thing would move ! Drop a 3.4 into a Deville with the same parameters as the 4.9 has to operate under and see how good it runs. It will be a DOG because it has no low end torque compared to the 4.9 because, like the 302 Z28, it was not intended to move heavy vehicles. Give that 4.9 a fair chance operating in a lighter car under the same conditions as your 3.4 but optimized to take advantage of it's strong points, low and mid range torque, and I believe you would have a very different opinion of it.

Yeah but who even cares if its fast....just as long as it sounds like a V-8 i would be content with 0-60 in 10 seconds. Just for the sound and the turning heads thinking "Holy shit is that a newer Monte Carlo!!"

Yeah but who even cares if its fast....just as long as it sounds like a V-8 i would be content with 0-60 in 10 seconds. Just for the sound and the turning heads thinking "Holy shit is that a newer Monte Carlo!!"

See ? He "gets it". It ain't always about "fast"................... :wink: 8)