Switching to a N/A cluster

White93z34

So due to the relative rarity of TGP clusters, and more over tgp clusters that actually work right. I broke down and bought a later sport cluster from a 3.1 SE recently, aparently the 91-93 clusters are better at actually displaying the MPH and RPM semi correctly, and I'd just as soon have a voltage gauge that reads voltage rather then a Boost gauge that reads whatever the hell it wants to. Getting the milage set correct was easy. I also moved over the pigtail on the top of it.

I checked my 90' GP FSM, and it only has pinouts for the Sport and Base clusters (which are the same FTR), yes I also checked the Turbo supplements for a pinout but a pinout for the Turbo cluster was no where to be found. I did however find that the boost gauge gets its input from pin C16 which is unused on the Sport cluster. Which leads me to believe that that is the only difference and I should be able to just drop this cluster in and have it work fine.

Am I right in believing that this should do the trick?

if you have them, please. I went through all my 90' FSM for the turbo pinout and could not find it.

no problem, i'll shoot up the TGP cluster and say a 93 with the guage package?

Getting the milage set correct was easy.

What did you do to set this? This is whats holding me back from installing the cluster you gave me.

:cry: yes its still in my garage, but this will help me install it repinning is no biggie though

actually I have been meaning to mess with completely tearing a odometer apart. What I did was just take the entire odometer assembly from the old cluster and put it in the new one as it just screws to the back of the cluster.

the lumina ones are different in that the ones with the trip odo are different then the base ones. pm me or email me and I'll see what we can figure out for you.

I've actually turned the odometer rolls themselves. NO YOU CREEPS! I WAS CORRECTING MILEAGE. you can PM, too. or call? :P

I've done that... I have a spare TGP cluster with 0 miles on it :razz:

Okay, finished product:

A normal sport cluster will plug right in, no wiring modifications needed whatsoever. the Boost gauge gets its input on pin C16 which is not used on the N/A cluster.

however you will need to take a soldering iron and remove and reinstall the little pigtail on the top of the cluster the holes are already there, just de-solder them and re-solder them on the new cluster.

New cluster works perfect too, speedo and tach are spot on, nice to have a battery gauge for a change. While I had the cluster torn apart I also re-soldered the connections for the check gauges and low fuel lamps.

also had to stick a lamp in the anti-lock spot as the car I got the cluster out of did not have ABS

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm...then in theory a TGP cluster would work in a N/A GP, give or take a boost gauge....if I could find a cluster again. :sasun:

They're all broken. There's a reason why some people are resorting to using N/A clusters.

Hmm...then in theory a TGP cluster would work in a N/A GP, give or take a boost gauge....if I could find a cluster again. :sasun:

They're all broken. There's a reason why some people are resorting to using N/A clusters.

Granted, yes. My cluster broke though and my dealership fixed it.

• 1 month later...

thought only the solder on the TGP cluster cracked and you had to go over it again. Was a common problem. Might be invisible to the naked eye. Just go over it again. I think it was around the driver ICs.