how to make reverse lights to brake lights?

stlunatics2oo3

Hey, I'd love to get rid of my existing reverse lights and convert that part to red, then tint the whole light.

My reasoning, is because I don't like how on my tail-light, the bottom half is white. I want my tail-light to look like this:

i-1.JPG

as opposed to this:

i-3_B.JPG

Then, I would put the reverse lights somewhere else, in the bumper perhaps, since it IS illegal to not have reverse lights at all....

however, you will pass inspection, and it is legal if you just have reverse lights...

-MaD-

Hey all...i was thinking about this the other day. You know how the CS coupes have the reverse on the trunk, but us sedan owners have em below the brakes and then a 'fake' revers light (like in that red one right above).

I know those things flake like craszy. Luckily mine hasnt yet. Is there a way to repair it when it does (like repaint it?) Or, I had this crazy idea of gutting it out and adding lights in there....extra reverse lights. Just run the wires up the trunk.

Is this possible? Or can you not even get that peice off?

Jon

I basically made my reverse bar red, except for a shadow of an olds logo (clear) right where my reverse bulb is. I installed one 194 red bulb on each side of the reverse bulb (2 per taillight)

Guest TurboSedan

is there any way to take the big panel off the trunk lid and clean it? (without breaking anything). mine has a bunch of dirt in the clear area. i just tried taking it off. i removed the 7 10mm nuts but it seems to be held on by some adhesive along the top edge. should i just carefully pry it off? and what adhesive should i use upon reinstallation?

joshua

Heh, breaking that part seems to be my specialty!

After you remove nuts that hold it on, you can use a razor blade to free the plastic part from the goo. Whatever you do, DO NOT PULL on the plastic part at all. This is how I broke my first one, and I broke a MINT ass one at the boneyard like that too. Then, I finally got a sweet replacment, and I dropped it on the corner!! It's barely noticible, but if I find another one, I'm buying it. So yea, Just use the razor blade....

Once you've cut all the goo, carefully remove the piece from the trunk lid by pulling straight out (remember, the bolts)

Instead of cleaning my clear bar, I sprayed it with black laquer from the inside. I like it a LOT better than the clear. Now it's all uniform-black, however, it makes the the tail lights look weird because they have the clear part, and that's why I want to make em red, then tint em.

These were my original plans, when I first removed it, but I broke it and couldn't find a replacement for a while. Since I couldn't find one, I tried to paint it, but since it was cracked it just kept breaking, until it split right in the middle. Wack. I still would like to have a nice painted piece so it doesn't look like plastic as much...kinda how like the newer plastic pieces are:

i-3_B.JPG

The red part (with the olds logo) is plastic, and painted, I never knew that until I asked Brian P about it. I thought it was actually metal and that the trunk was shaped like that! I thought they just added the tailbar part.

Mine looks like this one:

4049_4_full.jpg

It screams "plastic" lol...

but anyways, I suck at painting, so until I have a replacement to practice on, I'll keep it looking like plastic.

Besides, once I find a way to tint my tails, it should look money as hell...

Just all black in the rear...kinda like the berettas:

1180beretta.jpg

now, to tape it back on, use 3m ultra super duper double-sided outdoor molding tape. It's a little roll for like $3 and it has a red lining. It works miracles. buy two rolls...

That's it!

-MaD-