Rim questions for 94 Cutlass

Pselus

looking to get rims and know nothing about this so:

1) will 18's fit on my car?

2) if so what dimensions do I need to look for?

3) I know I have 5-lug but is every 5-lug rim the same?

4) with 18's what size tire am I looking for to not mess up speedometer?

5) same for 17's.....tire size?

any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Not an expert, but 5 lug is just a starting point. There are many other factors that matter.

1 - Bolt Circle - ours are 115mm

2 - Width, seems w-bodies are all over the place, some 6" wide, some 8", so backspacing is critical.

3 - Offset - on a 6.5-7.5" wheel it seems a 35-42mm positive offset is tolerable. Not sure what the offset is on the 8" wheels.

4 - Center Bore (don't know ours, usually aftermarket wheels aren't hubcentric, so they make them big enough to fit any car hub)

Then after you find out if they will fit in the first place, you have to think about what width/profile tire will be similar to your factory setup or your ABS/speedo will be off calibration.

Finally after all that, you have to worry about rubbing.

Best bet is to do some research, and either stick with factory styles or buy a specific matched set from a vendor who has all the specs to make sure they will be ok on your car.

BTW, you should be able to find an 18 that will fit.

yes 18's will fit perfectly (i should know i have them on my ride)

for 17" - 235/45/17

for 18" - 235/40/18

those sizes won't give you any rubbing and won't mess up your speedo that bad, 5mph difference at best

bolt pattern is 5 x 115 but you can use 5 x 114.3 as well with most rims (some might require a spacer)

yeah i dunno why you want rims either, i love the stock 5 spokes on the cutlass, made sure the cutty i got had em' on there. i think the look good on the car, a lot nicer than other stock rims, or should i say wheels with wheel covers. just my opinion

1uvakind....thanks for that that was exactly what I needed...:)

by the way I was randomly browsing Cardomain the other day and really enjoying your car....nicely done.

and I like the stock 5-spokes as well but there's a massive difference in stock 16" 5-spokes and aftermarket 18" rims....I already have a unique car but I want it to be even more unique.

maybe I'll post here the ones I like and ask your advice on them.

I know as of now that the rims I would LOVE to have are the 18's off of a 2000's corvette.....the chrome 5-spokes....I LOVE those rims...but I don't know if they'll fit....I'll hafta find out.

speaking of those rims....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43958&item=2432511671

think they'll fit?

CHROME CORVETTE REPLICA WHEELS 2001

REAR WHEEL SIZE ( 18 X 9 1/2" OFFSET 65mm )

FRONT WHEEL SIZE ( 17 X 8 1/2" OFFSET 56mm)

BOLT PATTERN - ( 5 lug on 4 3/4" )

18x9....would be kinda tight?

and the offset....only 65mm.....is that the part that needs to be 115? (like I said I have no idea)

since this is about rims

will the stock 5 spokes fit my 89 cutty?

Yes. Take a look at RedTurbo90's sig photo; he's has the Cutlass 5-stars on his 1989 Grand Prix.

Personally, I think it's sweet! I like the look / idea of new OEM generation wheels on a older car.

That's what I'm wanting to do on my VR6...

ya plus the vette rims are for rwd only

Yes, but also based on application.

You can take the front wheels of the Corvette and directly bolt them on the S10 / Sonoma / F-Body.

Saw a Sonoma sport with the chrome Z06 wheels and it was a big head turner.

- Erik

and I like the stock 5-spokes as well but there's a massive difference in stock 16" 5-spokes and aftermarket 18" rims....I already have a unique car but I want it to be even more unique.

:werd: If I knew they wouldn't get curbed, I'd love to put a set of chrome AE 077 18" on the convertible.

I just think a triple-black car needs chrome rims.

ya plus the vette rims are for rwd only

and 5 x 4.5 is the same as 5 x 115, some companies list them in millimeters, and some in inches

Actually the 5x4.5 is the 114.3mm number you see alot. 115mm is different even if it is just slight. You are right in that they "might" fit. And that's only if they drill the holes a bit big, AND you aren't using lug nuts which are countersunk or tuner style. You'll have to use a flat bottom lug or the countersink space will stop the wheel from seating properly if you try to put a 114.3 on a 115.

I've tried various 114.3mm wheels on my GP and they will NOT seat all 5 lugs tightly. I've had all the lugnuts start, but they wont always fit. I've got a black set of OEM 114.3's in the garage that will not fit.

Hey check out these wheels, i am thinkin about gettin them for my 1993 Cutlass Coupe.http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=3800P&Product_Code=AE-185&Category_Code=WT_GP

yes sorry i was mistaken about the 5 x 4.5, and yes some 5 x 114.3 will not fit, a reputable wheel shop should be able to get the appropriate info from the manufacturer to be able to tell you if they fit or not.

my rims are 5 x 114.3 and they needed spacers, and we (the wheel shop)had to try 5 different brands of lug nuts before we were able to fit them on, but they did fit.

my wheel shop was willing to either get the proper info needed to see if my selection of rims would fit my car, or order them in and physically try them on.

Wow, you are really fortunate to have wheel guys that flexible. Most the shops around me won't even consider experimenting with anything that isn't a sure fit. And nobody is willing to test fit anything anymore it seems.

BTW, nice ride you've got there, curious why you kept the luggage rack.?