My Carputer Build Thread v2.0 - Update PG 3 - Molding Monitor In-Dash Process

BXX

Ive been looking and have noticed a decent mobo isnt too expensive anymore. Im not a gamer so nothing fancy is needed.

Just before I buy a new one, wanted to see if someone had a decent used one laying around.

Must be a mini itx form factor!

Prefer one with a processor already and ram if possible, but ram isnt expensive so not manditory.

Processor, would prefer low power Intel, although I can live with AMD. 650mhz or higher.

A standard PCI slot would be a plus (for sound card)

Price, well cheap. A new Intel mobo with Atom processor can be had for well under $100 new

Thanks!

-Bob

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BXX

• Jonpro03

• 91LuminaEuro

• bodeen2007

Mini itx?

What are you doin?

Carputer?

Yup, but more proper this time..

First time was V1.0, main issue was power supply (used elcheap invertor) and crappy computer.

Lets say im going for V2.0

Then an eventual upgrade will be V3.0 (larger SSDs, Faster mobo)

I plan on using the mini itx board, M4-ATX power supply, 24bit sound card, dual 4GB CF cards for HDDs (one for OS and programs, other for media), and other goodies :mrgreen:

Im going all out on this. I will be doing a proper custom trim panel for the monitor too.

So for starters, really, I can use a slower mobo to tweak the bugs out. Im redoing my requirements in my first post. I can live with a 650mhz processor.

Well, earlier I realized I still had a desktop in my closet that I never looked at (was given to me)

I know it works but didnt know processor or anything.

Turns out is a P4 IBM mobo. That will work great. Gonna slap 2GB ram in it, upgrade the Celeron and good to go.

But if someone still have a mini itx form factor, im still interested

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs

Its windows XP minus all the cr@p

High speed low drag

Im DL it now :wink:

Gonna try it out tonight and get my HDD setup, Install Media Engine and transfer over my media to the drive. I think im gonna stick with this mobo I have now. I put a P4 2.26ghz (runs fast with XP Pro w/ only 256mb ram) so I would like to see how fast it can boot and run with FLP and more ram.

using a torrent?

Ill seed for you!

Yup..

Installed it last night.. Not gonna work

Why?? The damn login. As far as I know there isnt a work around to it.

So, I reinstalled XP Home. Disabled some un-needed services to keep them from starting up.

Im using Centrafuse V2.0. I like it much better than media engine!!! I have it set as my default shell and from a cold boot, im up and running in Centrafuse and listening to music in under 1 minute.

Gonna get a faster 7200rpm HDD (currenty have a 30gb 4200 or 5400rpm) and upgrade the ram from the current 256mb to 2gb and boot time should be under 45 seconds. I know there are some other tweaks to get it around the 30 second benchmark. Even though im perfectly fine with 1-2 minutes as thats the time it takes me to get situated in my car and driving.

I got Centrafuse off a torrent, but I need the North America GPS maps. Found only one torrent but its stuck at aboot 18%. Not many seeds out there.

So I will prolly just spend the $130 and actually buy a legit copy of software for once. It will be version 3.0 too. I tried the trial and it seemed ok compared to 2.0 but I didnt spend long playing with it.

And can a mod please change the title and move this to whatever or something. This is gonna be about my carputer build thread.

Thanks

-Bob

Heres a crappy cellphone pic of the front end main menu. The software runs very fast and seemlessly even with my small amount of ram.

The screen is a 8" widescreen Lilliput, touchscreen of course

To fix the login go to run under start menu and type in "control userpasswords2", then unselect "users must enter a password to use this computer"

Or xp home... whatever!

Ya know, I did an xp embedded build once. That was a lot of work, but it was smokin fast on 400mhz and 256mb ram. There really was no loading screen.

8 seconds from post to media engine using embedded, or 57 seconds using XP pro

like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxoT0fQiLqo

Only problem I had was getting media engine to work with embedded.

But I eventually fig'd it out:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=73021

I was thinking about running embedded. Didnt really look for any good torrents for it yet though.

Im not worried about the Media Engine issue as im gonna use Centrafuse. I used ME last time, I really liked it but after trying out Centrafuse, ME looses hands down :lol:

Guess I will try the XPe, any certain edition or whatever I should use??

Make sure you download sp2. Im not sure if there was ever another service pack.

Also be sure to select the CDO component in target designer. Im not sure if Centrafuse uses a database or not but its good to have it in there anyway.

And you don't have to use a torrent, its a free 120 day trial from microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=dacd1722-256b-48c5-91c1-af6062340efc&displaylang=en

After 120 days you just have to rebuild your image, and you probably will before then anyway. Seems like I was rebuilding mine every couple of weeks adding or removing components.

I never did, but if your computer supports booting from memory cards or sticks, you can load xpe on there and forgo a hard drive!

My last xpe build was only 180mb or so. I wanted to do that and have a usb port mounted somewhere in the car to insert a memory stick, mp3 player, or even my cell phone for music.

Good luck!

Im gonna try to XPe next.. I have plenty of time before the actual vehicle install :high5:

I was really thinking about using compact flash cards as HDDs. I already have 2 IDE to CF adapters. I run a Sandisk Ultra2 8GB CF in my Motion tablet pc. It seems quick but there is a noticable lag at time while writing large amounts of data.

Im gonna highjack that CF card maybe this week and install and see how Centrafuse runs.. The card seems to read quickly, I just wanna make sure its not slower than my current HDD

Im uploading a cell phone vid of bootup right now.. Needless to say I got bored :lol:

how much would it cost for me to do this to the moo cow

Well I scored the Lilliput 8" widescreen touch monitor for uber cheap on ebay new. But I will make a list of stuff needed and about how much on average. Take into account im not using a case, but rather a custom done trunk :twisted:

8" touchscreen monitor - $240

Motherboard - $75

Ram - $80 (to max out)

Powersupply - $100

Harddrive - $75

Cables - $100

To get sound...

Amp - $100

Speakers - $200

Hardware and such..

Centrafuse Front End - $130

USB GPS Antennae - $35

USB DVD Drive - $40

HD Radio Interface - $180

Standard Radio Interface - $40

Now those are round aboot prices, most can be scored cheaper, and somethings are optional really. Ive just been buying one thing at a time.

My setup will be this.. and prolly change mainly the mobo and hdd later on.

8" Lilliput widescreen touchscreen - $100 (already have)

IBM P4 mobo - $FREE (already have)

256mb ram - $FREE (already have)

40gb 5400rpm HDD - $FREE (already have)

M4-ATX PSU - $100

Centrafuse - $FREE (already have, but will prolly buy legit copy later)

Cables - $100 (for everything at the most, even amp)

Infinity 4-channel - $75

Infinity Speakers - $150

Rework Trunk - $100

----------------------------------

$625

Like I said, you can cut costs down a lot if you already have stuff (like stereo shit) and have a spare computer laying around with a small mobo in it. The powersupply can be had (smaller one) for aboot $65

Make sure you download sp2. Im not sure if there was ever another service pack.

And you don't have to use a torrent, its a free 120 day trial from microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=dacd1722-256b-48c5-91c1-af6062340efc&displaylang=en

After 120 days you just have to rebuild your image, and you probably will before then anyway. Seems like I was rebuilding mine every couple of weeks adding or removing components.

I never did, but if your computer supports booting from memory cards or sticks, you can load xpe on there and forgo a hard drive!

My last xpe build was only 180mb or so. I wanted to do that and have a usb port mounted somewhere in the car to insert a memory stick, mp3 player, or even my cell phone for music.

Good luck!

theere is SP 3 now, so i would recommend that, and x4 on the gettin a memory stick, that would probably work a hell of a lot better than a HD

Oh, i forgot that XPE has something called EWF (enhanced write filter) that makes the filesystem read-only... In other words, no changes are saved. Why would you want this in a carputer? It gives you the ability to just turn off the computer without shutting down.

I never tried this either... but wanted to. The only thing I was worried about is getting media engine (in my case) installed before the image is compiled and made read only.

If you do try this and figure out how to install software before compiling, please let me know! I know its possible because I've seen it done on youtube, but I could never do it.

I dont want it read only, cause im sure I will constantly make little changes here and there.

Im gonna load up XP on my 8GB Sandisk Ultra2 CF card (30mb/s max) and see how it runs. I got the ide to cf adapters in the other day but havent had much time due to work to get everything dealt with.

If the card works out good, I will get another 8GB Ultra2. I have 2 IDE to CF adapters so one will just be a slave and my main media HDD

Im having 3 teeth cut out tomorrow at 10am, so I will have plenty of painkiller induced madness and time to play with the computer setup :lol: My boss said if I need an extra day off on Thursday to call him. Hes cool as hell like that (also he was out for aboot a week after having his wisdom teeth out :lol:)

Jon, the online installer you gave me, currently im leaching off a neighbors wireless on my tablet pcs, but no connection on the carputer mobo. Will the installer save the files after download to the HDD and I can transfer or burn an ISO boot disk, or is it gonna automatically try installing on my tablets HDD??

Take into account im not using a case' date=' but rather a custom done trunk :twisted:

[/quote']

Glovebox

286078_36.jpg

I would rather not... I use my glovebox :lol:

Plus, my trunk will pwn :willynilly: I haz a sweet idea in my head for it. Wont be hard to do, just prolly spend a few days off doing it

I dont want it read only' date=' cause im sure I will constantly make little changes here and there.

Im gonna load up XP on my 8GB Sandisk Ultra2 CF card (30mb/s max) and see how it runs. I got the ide to cf adapters in the other day but havent had much time due to work to get everything dealt with.

If the card works out good, I will get another 8GB Ultra2. I have 2 IDE to CF adapters so one will just be a slave and my main media HDD

Im having 3 teeth cut out tomorrow at 10am, so I will have plenty of painkiller induced madness and time to play with the computer setup :lol: My boss said if I need an extra day off on Thursday to call him. Hes cool as hell like that (also he was out for aboot a week after having his wisdom teeth out :lol:)

Jon, the online installer you gave me, currently im leaching off a neighbors wireless on my tablet pcs, but no connection on the carputer mobo. Will the installer save the files after download to the HDD and I can transfer or burn an ISO boot disk, or is it gonna automatically try installing on my tablets HDD??

[/quote']

The files you're downloading are ISO's. But they're not bootable. It installs the programs used to create your image. Also, you don't necessarily have to burn them to a cd... You could just mount them using MagicISO. Either way, you want to install the programs on a fairly powerful pc.

EDIT: When I downloaded this, it was a 3 ISO download... I've never tried this embedded web installer they've got out now.

Installation Guide:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd128781%28WinEmbedded.51%29.aspx

Building and Deploying Images:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd128781%28WinEmbedded.51%29.aspx

I don't claim to be an expert with XPE, but I have deployed many images.

If it's giving you a lot of trouble, you can just send me your TAP.exe files and Ill compile a build for you.

Good Luck!