• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BXX

• tornado_735

• 94 olds vert

• 5speedz34

You're getting lugnuts from the junkyard?! :eek:

used OEM lugnuts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Autistic Zone ones...

A lugnut is a lugnut! what makes used OEM ones so superior?

I remarked in another post about how easy mine were to strip, but they don't seem to catch a whole lot of threads. Another member told me to torque them carefully, but I'm not a superhero or something? Whenever I get into a corner of the car for something else I put 5 new nuts on and they don't strip when I tighten them. My guess is that yours stripped much like mine did and never got replaced. The ones from Autozone are threaded the whole way and have a bigger mushroom thingy on the base than the after market chrome ones do so they look like they catch a lot of foot print and have the threads to back it up and not strip out.

Yes people, for the love of god, put on ALL lugnuts/studs.

Who makes them doesnt mean dick!!! Yes, thats pointed at you Ken.. Maybe they broke because he doesnt have a big aftermarket trans cooler :lol:

Buy a damn torque wrench.. 100ftlbs

And no, just your big butt cranking them down with a 4 way wont be torqued correctly. You end up at 140ftlb, wait a year and take it to a shop such as mine, and my 1/2" drive IR Titanium struggles to remove them due to overtightened and rust and corrosion!!!

/rant

Oh, and honestly, on our small studs, at about 140ftlb youve definately stretched the stud and actually HAVE LESS clamp force keeping the wheel on than 100ftlb..

BTW, do you know that since your missing lugnuts, you obviously know it, and your wheel comes off and you kill a family in a minivan your gonna face jailtime??? Your ignorance of lugnuts and their importance doesnt mean crap to the law.

You obviously dont know the importance of having ALL your lugnuts and studs intact. Now you know, they are very important.

So quit being cheap and a dumbfuck, hit up a parts store, get what you need to correct the problem 100% now!!! and rent their damn torque wrench while your there and make sure ALL of them are at 100ftlbs

Yes people, for the love of god, put on ALL lugnuts/studs.

Who makes them doesnt mean dick!!! Yes, thats pointed at you Ken.. Maybe they broke because he doesnt have a big aftermarket trans cooler :lol:

Buy a damn torque wrench.. 100ftlbs

And no, just your big butt cranking them down with a 4 way wont be torqued correctly. You end up at 140ftlb, wait a year and take it to a shop such as mine, and my 1/2" drive IR Titanium struggles to remove them due to overtightened and rust and corrosion!!!

/rant

Oh, and honestly, on our small studs, at about 140ftlb youve definately stretched the stud and actually HAVE LESS clamp force keeping the wheel on than 100ftlb..

BTW, do you know that since your missing lugnuts, you obviously know it, and your wheel comes off and you kill a family in a minivan your gonna face jailtime??? Your ignorance of lugnuts and their importance doesnt mean crap to the law.

You obviously dont know the importance of having ALL your lugnuts and studs intact. Now you know, they are very important.

So quit being cheap and a dumbfuck, hit up a parts store, get what you need to correct the problem 100% now!!! and rent their damn torque wrench while your there and make sure ALL of them are at 100ftlbs

I could do the calculations, for the critical load of the stud, but i'd rather say that I doubt that the studs have a safety factor of less than 1.4, especially when GM has to consider all of the DICKS that use an impact gun without consideration of what torque they are applying to these "tiny studs." I'm all for proper torque and all, but jesus, what the fuck are you saying? Jailtime for lugnuts? Plz take a chill pill.

Yes...

Your the last one to touch them (i.e. a shop for example) and the wheel falls off and a severe injury happens as a result, then there is a criminal liability..

Driving around missing lugnuts and the same result happens, guess what, they wont slap you on the wrist.

Guess too many hillbillies in PA so they overlook things :lol:

Yes...

Your the last one to touch them (i.e. a shop for example) and the wheel falls off and a severe injury happens as a result, then there is a criminal liability..

Driving around missing lugnuts and the same result happens, guess what, they wont slap you on the wrist.

While I could see someone being held responsible for something like that, I've never heard of any cases where anyone got in trouble for that. These are home mechanics anyway...its gonna be alot harder to convict someone of something with no papertrail behind all that. Anyway. I'm still standing by the safety factor statement. Like I said, I think you are getting a little worked up about this...

And of all the the things you could poke fun at to make your argument a bit cheaper and YOU are calling ME a hillbilly? :lol:

You're getting lugnuts from the junkyard?! :eek:

used OEM lugnuts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Autistic Zone ones...

A lugnut is a lugnut! what makes used OEM ones so superior?

quality. seriously, the one's I've had from autozone seem to be much lower quality, and round out easier. maybe a lower grade material?

Nothing is wrong with an older lugnut as long as it is in good condition.

I have a very difficult time buying that one. I've rounded off all sorts of lugnuts doing stupid things, and hell if you use proper 19mm/3/4inch 6 sided sockets you should never round off any. I've used all sorts of lugnuts from different stores and never had a problem yet.

not saying anything is wrong with a older lugnut, but I just don't buy what you are telling me.

Says the guy from the state of "see thru fenders" :lol: :razz:

1Loudcutty speaks the truth...

My studs sheered off because my 140lb ass over tightened them with an 18" breaker bar (I now have a torque wrench)

I dunno about down there in the US, but around here, if you put them on you are liable. And people these days are so lawsuit happy and will sue you if you look at them the wrong way, so yeah, if your wheel pops off because you over/under tightened your lug nuts, you could very well get sued.

FWIW, like Chris said, if your rounding a lug nut, try the 6 point socket instead of the 12 point :willynilly:

Jamie

Using a 6point socket is a no brainer :lol:

WTF kinda dumbass uses a 12point on lugnuts :willynilly:

Ken apparently if he is having so many problems with rounding off "non oem" ones

I know people are going to say this is wrong, but I put a dab of antiseize on all wheel studs, as well as coat the mating surface of the rotor hat and rim hub, then torque the nuts to 100 ft/lbs with my Snap-on torque wrench. They come off beautifully every time (even on my winter driven cars) and I've never had ANY problems with studs breaking or nuts coming loose.

OMG, you seriously use antisieze???

You do know that makes for highly inaccurate wheel tightening. Antisieze is the number 1 reason wheels comes off. Your streching the studs.

Does anybody use common sense and basic knowledge when it comes to putting their wheels on correctly anymore :willynilly:

I know people are going to say this is wrong, but I put a dab of antiseize on all wheel studs, as well as coat the mating surface of the rotor hat and rim hub, then torque the nuts to 100 ft/lbs with my Snap-on torque wrench. They come off beautifully every time (even on my winter driven cars) and I've never had ANY problems with studs breaking or nuts coming loose.

I do the same thing :D

Well that should resolved the clunking when braking and cornering!

"hey .. that looks just like one of my wheels ..trying to pass me!"

Scary...

Scary.... yes, that's what we will call it....

I was missing one lug nut, just one.... then the other 4 studs sheered off while I was doing about 60mph

That, is scary

Jamie

same thing happened to me. car started shaking badly, i was like wtf this isn't good. f'ed my rim all up on the brake caliper and everything

I've seen more problems with people having rusted / seized studs breaking off when trying to remove a wheel, than people using antiseize.

Biggest problem is asshat techs that rattle the nuts on to 200 ft / lbs......

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/Article/Story/2009/04/Custom-wheel-torquing-101.aspx

Another good read..

I've seen more problems with people having rusted / seized studs breaking off when trying to remove a wheel, than people using antiseize.

Biggest problem is asshat techs that rattle the nuts on to 200 ft / lbs......

Then take it to a real tech :lol:

A reason I have good torque sticks and use a good torque wrench for the final torque..

The studs break off because they were either crossthreaded or the threads were stretched from overtorquing and then they removed it and it was seized... When they strech beyond the yield point, they then end up with different thread pitches and is like you crossthreaded it anyway. Most lugnut threads will not stretch (nugnuts are much harder than the studs)