headrest removal and now i need help with something else

jake91

i went out to put my new seat covers on and i cant figure out how to remove the headrest

EDIT: now i need help removing that little switch on the back of the seat

If you look on the side of the plastic insert, where the head rests come out of the seats, there should be a little hole. Stick a paper clip, or something of the sort in that hole and it will release the rods and the head rest will pull right out.

A sharp fast pull up, or two, or three and they come right out.

NO! that breaks the mechanism

Do I need to explain that breaking the mechanism means the headrest no longer resists moving and CAN eject from the seat without warning... like when you need it? or when you are on the interstate in your vert trying to adjust it? @^&@#$%^&*@#$%^&*

there isnt a mech on these things i thought, like on my gtp i had to remove the seat cover as much as possible then release the clip from inside the seat but for the cuttlass i just gave it a good pull, there was no spring load or anything. maybe its different for 95?

A sharp fast pull up, or two, or three and they come right out.

NO! that breaks the mechanism

Do I need to explain that breaking the mechanism means the headrest no longer resists moving and CAN eject from the seat without warning... like when you need it? or when you are on the interstate in your vert trying to adjust it? @^&@#$%^&*@#$%^&*

Not to dispute that, but the fast pull up is how I've done it in the past and have not had any problem with them staying in place. But then I never raise them off the seat. Even at that, the shafts are so long, I can't imagine them coming out on their own even if raised some. From the many pics I've seen of Jake's car, I've never seen his headrests raised off the seats either?

every time I flip the seats forward in my 93 vert... the headrests EJECT. I will eventually cut some junk seats up to extract the WEAK PLASTIC RETAINERS that hold them in place. 95 is no different then all the rest.

Just went out and checked my vert. Other than the way I suggested, I don't see any other way of getting them out? Unless there's a special tool that goes down along side the shaft to release it. A sort of slim-jim?

unhook the upholstery at the bottom of the seat, it has a snap strip at the bottom. carefully pull the front part loose from the velcro of the foam cushion. with 2 door cars there is a tab on the rear of the seat. You must pull the upholstery up and over that tab; sometime this requires enlarging the hole by increasing the length of the slit by just a bit. don;t worry it will be fine. Pull up the upholstery and eventually you will have it completely inside out and upside down covering the headrest with the headrest extended. Now lift up on the foam and you can tilt it up and see the plastic retainers. there is a tab on each one and you must pry that tab out, while pulling up.

1. Took a look at mine

2. Learned that I have headrest (didn't know those moved)

3.I saw no possible way to removed them.

4. I pushed up kinda hard, But nothing. It sounded like I was straining it so I stopped.

well i got lever off. i broke it so if you know how to remove one without breaking it that would be great so i can get one from the yard, and the headrest came out just like swift said and it went back in and hooks normaly