"Knock" when I turn.

RomeoZ34

Lately I have noticed than when I go into turns I hear a slight pop coming from the front tires. Also, if I park w/ the wheels turned, it has a dry moan sound when I back out. What could this be? CV joints? Ball joints? Any help is appreciated!

Lately I have noticed than when I go into turns I hear a slight pop coming from the front tires. Also, if I park w/ the wheels turned, it has a dry moan sound when I back out. What could this be? CV joints? Ball joints? Any help is appreciated!

I get a little moan too sometimes when I back out. I hadnt really payed much attention to it though

Robby

i had a problem similar to that a while back ago, but mine moaned when i put it in reverse and if i was turning while reversing.

it ended up being the cv joints for me

Yeah, thats what mine does............great.......CV joints.

Robby

How would I fix my CV joints? I will never take my car to a mechanic, I'd rather spend a week of my own time than 600 of my own dollars. So what is necessary to check the CV joints? How can I tell if they are bad and what must I do to change them? Thanks!

ok we just went over this in drive trains class so it is fresh in my mind!

here is what you do to make sure it is your CV joints. go to an empty parking lot drive back wards with the wheels cranked to one side all the way if it pops its the CV joints.

ok if it does that take it home set the parking break chok the wheels (block) then get it up in the air as far as you can and set it on jack stands!!

now you are ready to get under there take the axle and yank it if it moves and makes noise its bad or if the boots are leaking its bad.

if the CV's are poping they are bad 2 or 3 things you can do

1: take it to a shop (get the vasoline out)!!

2: get a kit to rebuild them (i don't suggest that for a DIYer)

3: get new axle/s at a local parts store (couple hunderd ) you would have to check the prices!!

ok option 3!! before you put the car in the air get a break over bar and loosen the hub axle nuts once you did that get it up in the air wheels off then remove the axle nuts get under the car loosen the ball joint nut and pry it loose (some tapping may be needed on the side of the spindle flange. once you have that done move the spindle and strut assembly towards the back of the car. then work the axle out of the hub. now pry on the tranny and the axle (dont pull on the axle the inner CV joint will seperate) once you have that out get the new one and mach them up install in reverse of removal.

now if you want you can try to rebuild them if you can find a kit (im not sure if there are any!!) take your time clean the CV's up good look for snap rings and ect. do just go hitting them.

if you go with the DIY rebuild feel free to ask any questions pm, e-mail (if my e-mail is veiw able not sure)

good luck

let us know what you find?

i forgot to add that you might have to tap the axle loose from the hub some get seezed in there be sure to use the nut when tapping if you dont have a claw puller to press it out

good luck