Gear Shift Light on Cutlass

sl3196

I have a '96 cutlass with the floor shift and I was wondering is the gear indicator supposed to be lit up when the lights are on. Mine has never worked since I have had the car. Almost every car I have ever seen has lit up down there>

When I bought my cutlass, the light didn't work either. I later found out that both of the wires that feed the little light, were both broken. They were broke right on the bottom of the light at the crimp connector. I was able to fix it with a tiny screw driver to pry the connector open, and some solder I believe.

Also my rear interior lights don't work. I replaced bulbs but still don't work. They did turn on once during a hail storm. Any idea's? Do I have to take the shifter and console out to check those wires and bulbs or is there an easier way?

I have a '96 cutlass with the floor shift and I was wondering is the gear indicator supposed to be lit up when the lights are on. Mine has never worked since I have had the car. Almost every car I have ever seen has lit up down there>

Either blown bulb or severed wires.

It's an easy fix as people have shown...

A retainer clip on the shift knob; and four screws for the gear selector housing.

Piece of cake, 20min install tops! :D

- Erik

First off, my Gear Lights light up. I just got home and saw they were on.

Anyway, as for your rear lights, mine used to only work some of the time, so I kinda fixed that...here goes:

Take the screw out of the little clothes hanger.

Pull out the entire light fixture.

You should then see a pulg kinda up in the top of the car, unplug that.

Now that you have that out, just hard wire, basically by-passing the wire that the switch uses. I think the colors are gray and black, but can't remember for sure.

After you solder them, (or just crimp together) put it back together, and they should be on.

Now, they wont' be on if someone in the back wants to use them cuz the switch won't be wired in, but as long as that isn't an issue, have fun.

As to everyone else, is that correct the way that I put that? Cuz that how I did mine!

• 2 weeks later...