My 89 GP McLaren Turbo has been sitting for two years ~ HELP!

1989 TURBO GRAN PRIX

I've tried starting my 89 GP Turbo a few times and it seems to start & run a couple of minutes and shut right back off and then very hard to start! This has been sitting in my garage for over two years; has 7,100 miles on it and in like new condition, but bad health has resulted in me letting it sit too long.

What would you suggest for first tip/suggestions???

Thanks, Jim

Could be gas, could be that the fuel system needs more prime...

To check for prime, turn on the ignition, wait for 5 secs, turn off the ignition, wait 10 secs, and repeat 2 more times. Then try to start it.

If its bad gas, then you are talking about taking the fuel line off, on the gas tank side, of the fuel filter, then with a catch pan under the loose line, jumping the fuel pump hot lead under the hood, and draining the tank. Then dropping in 2 gals or so of fresh gas.

Does it start easily to begin or do you have to hold the key for an extended period of time? When the car stalls out, does the engine die instantly or does it start idling rough and slowly shutoff? Let's say you've started it, it shuts off, now if you wait 20-30 minutes to try to restart it, will it start easily then?

Is your check engine light coming on?

More than likely has to do with old gas sitting in the car though. Still original plugs in it?

Oh yes original EVERYTHING, plugs, wires, even the original tires!!!

(Sorry don't know how to do a multi-quote!)

Could be gas, could be that the fuel system needs more prime...

To check for prime, turn on the ignition, wait for 5 secs, turn off the ignition, wait 10 secs, and repeat 2 more times. Then try to start it.

If its bad gas, then you are talking about taking the fuel line off, on the gas tank side, of the fuel filter, then with a catch pan under the loose line, jumping the fuel pump hot lead under the hood, and draining the tank. Then dropping in 2 gals or so of fresh gas.

I'm sure that BAD GAS is one culprit always used 93 Octane!

Can't try for a while ~ ruined the battery and don't have another one that size ~ was original battery too~ LOL

Does it start easily to begin or do you have to hold the key for an extended period of time? When the car stalls out, does the engine die instantly or does it start idling rough and slowly shutoff? Let's say you've started it, it shuts off, now if you wait 20-30 minutes to try to restart it, will it start easily then?

Last time I tried it turned over quite a bit ~ I'm sure from sitting for a LONG time ~ but eventually started ran about 5 minutes or so and just quitely stalled, no shaking or stuttering! NO, after letting it sit it will NOT start again!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry guys, haven't been on in a long time.... health has been detorinating and was in the VA hospital for six weeks for radiation treatments for prostate cancer. Looks as though this ONE will be sitting a LOT longer!!!

Sorry guys, haven't been on in a long time.... health has been detorinating and was in the VA hospital for six weeks for radiation treatments for prostate cancer. Looks as though this ONE will be sitting a LOT longer!!!

I have a life long friend who is going through the same thing, keep your head up man. I know it's hard... Please keep in mind that I only live a few hours from you, so if you ever need anything don't hesitate to contact me... And if you ever have to part with your TGP I would be VERY interested... :)

I have a life long friend who is going through the same thing, keep your head up man. I know it's hard... Please keep in mind that I only live a few hours from you, so if you ever need anything don't hesitate to contact me... And if you ever have to part with your TGP I would be VERY interested... :)

And if adam is not interested I would like to be second in line.............

I'm willing to bet you should be able to simply change the fuel filter,drain a few gallons and add some seafoam or chemtool along with fresh gas to the car and it will start.

You might need to spray some ether/starter fluid in the throttle body to get it to fire off and stay running for a second but it should catch itself and begin to idle.

Probrably idle rough and smokey for a few minutes,and more than likely run like crap till you get good gas in it.

This is common at my dealership when people force us to install salvage engines,they always need help firing off and staying running but once we get em going the injectors usually start to open and all is well after it get's the gunk out.

Problem is that the gas separates and varnish's in the lines and filter,along with the fuel pump.

I've had excellent luck with the seafoam and ether to get past the varnish,but sometimes you can't help but install a new fuel pump and gas.

With only 2 years sitting though,shouldn't be a huge problem.

The battery is more than likely toast being 20 years old,if you want to try and save it then put it on a low (2-6 amp) charge for a minimum of 18 hours to get past sulfated plates and try again.

Next time,when you park it use Stabil or another fuel stabilizer and it will resist breakdown.

Hope this stuff helps,and good luck with your medical issues.

~Def

Agree with the above. After 5 years of storage my TGP would start, run like crap for a few seconds, then die. I just filled it with fresh 93 octane gas and after running a full tank through it, it ran awesome! Ran pretty bad during the initial hundred miles or so and didnt want to idle well, but by the second tank it idled smooth, ran good and then passed emissions. I did not have to change the filter or pump, though I am sure it wouldn't hurt. Old gas just wont burn well. It is that simple.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the info guys; much apprieciated! Kinda lost interest in THIS CAR as I have moved onto others and stay on that type of forum for the most part! I still have 23 cars; sold one; deposit on another, but the rest keep me pretty busy when my health allows!

Turbo V... especially a kind THANK YOU from YOU and I'll let you know IF I ever get some free time! Haven't even really thought about messing with it. ~At least it still looks new... was looking at it a few days ago and noticed the original tires still look perfect from 1989 ~ No Dry rot ~ kinda surprised about that and I've never had a flat or even a soft tire! When I opened the door still has the new Leather smell! I paid a lot of $ for this when I bought it... but hopefully it will one day be worth quite a bit, because of the rarity of the car and low mileage ..... I sure hope so!!!!

I had actually forgotten the NAME of this forum to get back on here ~ LOL ~ Signed up TGP forum today too!