Top doesn't got down - troubleshooting checklist / procedures?

jeremy

Alright, here goes. I picked up my '95 knowing the that top didn't go down. Previous owner claimed that it worked last fall without a problem, but didn't work come spring. He said that he never looked into the issue at all.

All I know is that when I push the down button, nothing happens. I know that there can't be too many components that are involved in this process so does anyone have a troubleshooting checklist or a how-to procedure to properly locate the non-function item(s) ??? ...I know that winter is coming quickly, but I would ideally like to see if I can get everything functioning properly now so that I don't have to deal with it in the Spring.

Thanks in advance!

it is likely a corroded top relay, as any water leakage nails the relay which is oriented upside down below the top mechanism area.

the 95 uses the same relay to operate the top as many W-bodies use for their door locks.

speaking of which... i still need the door lock relay for my car since I put it in john's vert. the lock relay is located in the wiring channel on the driver's door sill in a 95. vert is probably the same. and many j/y cars will be the same.

the top relay is accessible by yanking the rear seat and looking in the substructure under the motor.

Now who was bitching that I know too much? :willynilly:

alright, after rereading Ken's post and doing some digging, I found the other relay....it is a different p/n but appears to have the same wiring diagram on the front of it....swapped the relays but still nothing at all.....

....what is the next recommended step to finding my problem?

I've seen different part numbers, but opening them reveals the same guts.

can you hear the relay clicking?

did you try the top relay in the lock harness?

I kind of figured that based on the diagram that they are direct swaps....I still don't hear any clicking at all from the top relay. I of course didn't check the top relay in lock harness :willynilly:

here's a wrinkle in everything for you Ken.....i tested the power lock buttons for the first time today .....neither side button works for either lock/unlock, and the power mirrors don't work either....the power windows work and the power locks do work with the key fob.....

here's a wrinkle in everything for you Ken.....i tested the power lock buttons for the first time today .....neither side button works for either lock/unlock, and the power mirrors don't work either....the power windows work and the power locks do work with the key fob.....

actually... I test drive a car like that... but I don't know what would cause it. Is that with or without the known good relay plugged in.

I have service manuals, so i can look into it...

that's with both relays plugged in the way they were when I got the car....I really have no way to test them individually......I did grab another relay out a j/y car this weekend that I will try in each location to see if I get any different results at all but I won't be able to do that until this weekend....I have no idea if the locks/mirrors/top are related at all of if it is just a big coincidence :shrug:

Dumb question, but all fuses are good, right?

I checked the interior passenger side fuse panel and all appeared to be good....I haven't looked at the fuse panel under the hood yet though

fuse 7= automatic door locks

Fuse 19 = power lock switches

fuse 32 = RKE module power

RKE works,

power switched don't work.

question:

does the car autolock and unlock the doors?

remove the lock switch cover on either side and probe the orange wire going to the switch to ground with a test light or voltmeter, to see if there is power. result?