94 olds vert neverending project thread

94 olds vert

I have an idea for you.

See if you can get some LED lights for your plate. I have a friend that did that to an unmentionable car (H***a) and it looks SWEET.

Seriously!

I could do that. I will see how this blue bulb looks first. But I really want a 3rd brake light with led lights in it.

I'm making one... in fact a few........

• 2 weeks later...

My parking lights stopped working...the right one. So I take it apart and the plug for the bulb was all cracked up, so

that needed to be replaced.

Since George cleared his, I liked it and did the same.

1994cutlass209.jpg

1994cutlass214.jpg

1994cutlass210.jpg

1994cutlass211.jpg

1994cutlass212.jpg

1994cutlass213.jpg

Just as I told Psychomatt (before most of your's time on here), he had a white vert and did the same. Looks like a Raccoon.

you're telling me this looks bad? :wink:

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

That was with the front side markers, both rear side markers, and third brake light blacked out. I loved it.

I got really lucky and got some matching leather for my interior. The first thing I want to do is the center arm rest.

This is what I am going to do, I am going to leave the vinyl on the sides, and just replace the top with the leather.

Then for the foam, I might take one of those memory foam pillows and cut it to fit. But it looks like the factory foam,was

molded to fit, and might be hard to replicate. So we will see.

1994cutlass216.jpg

1994cutlass218.jpg

^ Matches pretty good.

The foam, I have looked online and they to steam it, so I will try that and see what it does.

1994cutlass220.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What I did today, Ran it for the first time in a month. Moved it out of the garage. Wanted to drive it really really badly,

but there was a lot of snow on the roads.

1994cutlass225.jpg

1994cutlass224.jpg

1994cutlass223.jpg

Thanks to Matt, I now have a perfect center console.

1994cutlass222.jpg

Wow, that came out really good! Did you did the sewing yourself? That will be a huge improvement for the interior, that armrest is always the first to go. Nice job!

Wow, that came out really good! Did you did the sewing yourself? That will be a huge improvement for the interior, that armrest is always the first to go. Nice job!

I completely Failed at the sewing wish I could sew. I was lucky to find one in perfect condition.

But it does look a million times better.

I completely Failed at the sewing wish I could sew. I was lucky to find one in perfect condition.

But it does look a million times better.

Hey man that was a nice come up on the console lid. I've been looking for one since I first got my car. Your car is coming along really well. :high5:

We finally had a sunny weekend day where I had some time to get my Cutlass out and get a couple things done. And I figured what the hell, I can post my stuff in this thread too.

The radio buttons on my steering wheel were really bad and it took me 6 months of looking on ebay and the junkyards to find a good airbag with the buttons. I paid $30 + $15 for shipping on ebay, but that is OK. It is one of those things that you look at when you drive and it really bothered me.

th_IMG_5773.jpg

I had a "oh shit" moment when I saw the wires for the buttons were different colors. But it works just fine.

th_IMG_5772.jpg

I found an aftermarket power antenna on a Buick Park Avenue (?) at the junkyard. This brand of antenna comes with 6 different adapters for different slopes of the rear fender. I only had the Buick one which is not a perfect match to the Cutlass. So I had to turn it a little. But it still beats my old antenna which was stuck in the up position and slightly bent. And it works!

th_IMG_5775.jpg

I like the top of the antenna.

Now I know how to replace the buttons, you need to removed the whole thing. Thanks!

I tried once at the junkyard with a screw driver to pop them off just the buttons but I broke them. LOL

I am still looking for a red one...

Now I know how to replace the buttons, you need to removed the whole thing. Thanks!

I tried once at the junkyard with a screw driver to pop them off just the buttons but I broke them. LOL

I had some experience with this from changing my turn signal switch. But I'm going to write this up because it is not obvious --especially at a junkyard with limited tools.

There are four screws that hold the airbag onto the steering wheel from the back. You need a Torx T-30 for these screws.

They are a pain in the ass because you cannot see what you are doing. Also there are things on the steering column that leave you little room to work for the top two screws.

Don't even try it with a L-shaped torx wrench. You will be there all day.

Buy a T-30 socket if you don't have one. Take the socket only in your fingers and start with the bottom two screws. Use your fingers to feel when the socket is correctly in the head of the screw. (There is a gap between the screw head and the rubber on the back of the steering wheel that the socket head can fit into. The resistance feels right, so you think you are turning the screw, but you really are not. That is why you need to feel with your fingers and the socket.) Once you are sure the socket is in the screw head, snap the ratchet into the socket and crank it until the screw comes out. Repeat for the other bottom screw.

To get to the top screws your best bet is to shift the car into neutral, turn the steering wheel 90 degrees, put it into park and turn the key back so that you can lock the wheel turned 90 degrees to the right.

Now one of the top screws is above the steering column and one is below it, and in this position there is nothing to get in the way to prevent you from using a ratchet using the same method I described above for the bottom screws.

The two top screws are longer than the bottom screws and will not fall out of the steering wheel like the bottom two did. You can pull gently on the airbag part to see how close the top screws are to releasing.

Additional comments:

I used an air ratchet when I did this at home and I highly recommend it. It made it much, much easier.

I know turning the steering wheel 90 degrees at the junkyard could be a problem....you might be able to find a decent price on ebay too and save yourself some work. Prices for old airbags are all over the place -- some people want $10. Others want $200.

Finally, Lookin' good again. Now, Need to lose the backed out corner lights. Maybe tomorrow if I have a snow day.

1994cutlass234.jpg

1994cutlass235.jpg

1994cutlass236.jpg

Sigh...Its leaning to the right, need to fill them tires up.

You could always use some 'tint' or 'smoked' Lamin-X film on another set of the corner lights. Same effect, but light would get through.

I just don't like the blacked out look, maybe if my car was black it would look better. I might try to make a clear set...

But IDK if I will like that either.

You could always use some 'tint' or 'smoked' Lamin-X film on another set of the corner lights. Same effect, but light would get through.

I just don't like the blacked out look, maybe if my car was black it would look better. I might try to make a clear set...

But IDK if I will like that either.

maybe if i can perfect making clear corners i could make some for ya :wink: haha

and would u be getting rid of those black ones? i'd be interested in them if you are.

maybe if i can perfect making clear corners i could make some for ya :wink: haha

and would u be getting rid of those black ones? i'd be interested in them if you are.

I would use the back ones to practice on. But if your going to make some, I could ship 'em to you.

There cannot be used "legally" they don't let any light pass.

I would use the black ones to practice on. But if your going to make some, I could ship 'em to you.

exactly what i was thinking haha

Very nice did you ever think about taking your car to car shows,cruises cause that would be pretty cool to see at a show.

I plan to all summer long, I am actually pretty excited to. I do see to many driving around where I live. When ever I drive

it I always get a lot of attention.