94 cutlass front struts.

rockfangd

Ok so i just sold my 94 cutlass a few weeks ago and i got a call stating it sounds kind of funny.

So i get the car and start to jack up the front end and I found it funny that the car was going up but the tire wasnt. The spring was extending. So i pulled up the boot and found that the strut cartridge nut ripped out of the spindle threads and all :eek: The nut was all the way at the top of the cartridge with the threads from the spindle still on it. I could be wrong but i think the spindle is bad lol.

I will update tonight. I went and got a new one

that nut popped loose on the 95 sedan after my brother slammed a curb hard enough to pop a tire and bend a rim..... he had a local shop take it and screw it back in without an issue...

well I have been really busy lately but I still have to post a few pics of the knuckle.

I went to my local junk yard and found a 1999 Chevy Lumina and pulled the knuckle complete with the strut, got home and found out the hard way that the knuckle is very slightly different than the cutlass where the brake caliper assembly mounts.

The cutlass mounts closer to the hub than the lumina, almost .5 inches, But the only difference in the whole thing is that the lumina rotor is flatter and wider, and the cutlass rotor is thicker and narrower. :willynilly:

Why do they have to make these such stupid changes lol. So i ran with it and figure that when the front brakes have to be changed either we can get 2 different rotors or swap the other knuckle to match

well I have been really busy lately but I still have to post a few pics of the knuckle.

I went to my local junk yard and found a 1999 Chevy Lumina and pulled the knuckle complete with the strut, got home and found out the hard way that the knuckle is very slightly different than the cutlass where the brake caliper assembly mounts.

The cutlass mounts closer to the hub than the lumina, almost .5 inches, But the only difference in the whole thing is that the lumina rotor is flatter and wider, and the cutlass rotor is thicker and narrower. :willynilly:

Why do they have to make these such stupid changes lol. So i ran with it and figure that when the front brakes have to be changed either we can get 2 different rotors or swap the other knuckle to match

DANGER!!! you just left the car with un-equal braking!!!!

Aren't you aware that sometime during the 95 to 96 model year they changed the size of the front rotor to increase braking capacity?

the rotor and knuckle are the only parts that were changed.

Aren't you aware

Not all of us have an encyclopedic knoweledge of car manufacturing minutiae, Ken. We're aspiring though, dammit! Maybe one day we'll all reach your level!

RockF, I'd say wait for a rainy day and try a few panic stops on wet ground in a parking lot or something. That's where uneven breaking can really make a difference.

Aren't you aware

Not all of us have an encyclopedic knoweledge of car manufacturing minutiae, Ken. We're aspiring though, dammit! Maybe one day we'll all reach your level!

RockF, I'd say wait for a rainy day and try a few panic stops on wet ground in a parking lot or something. That's where uneven breaking can really make a difference.

I tried everything to get it to pull and nothing is different. Honest