turbo cammed 3.1L project

Mach 5

its funny how everything works in the automotive world. I wanted to get rid of it only to re fall in love with it all over again and want to do more with it.

This is going to be the new setup:

I have purchased all of the parts -in the mail- for this conversion and its going to be fun doing it.

Vehicle

1989 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

3.1L w/ comp 260 grind- .473 lift w/ 1.6 ratio rockers and 212 @ .050 - engine has 20,000miles and chassis has 116,000mi- I left it with stock compression 8.9:1 so I could do this at some point

this is the kit out of the turbo grand prix.

What kind of power will this setup make and how hard is it to do? Any tips and info is greatly appreciated

Oh and Brian, I think I can do a meet sometime in September. I will let you know. I think I still have your number.

Pics will be put up when I get this in the mail.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• intern8tion9l

• mfewtrail

• Addicted To Boost

i'm not so sure how that cam will affect a turbo motor, but considering the stock motors made 205HP and more torque than that, i'd expect that at a minimum.

i wouldn't have went with the old flat-tappet motor, but you do have easy cam options.

a good chip that allows for more boost will do wonders, as will a properly sized turbo/intercooler.

i belive i have seen a dyno showing a good 270lbs of torque from a chip alone, but i'm not guaranteeing that....

Here's a link to turbosedan's numbers:

http://www.tgpforums.com/index.php/topic,3669.0.html

325+ ft-lbs to the wheels is pretty sick.

This was a NA 3.1 and a TGP setup with a MBC essentially. That's if you want to go with all TGP stuff. Turbo is the limiting factor in my opinion. T25 is really small. Yeah, I know the gen 2 intakes aren't great, but nothing a few more psi can't solve.

Look at Kuntzie's car. He's getting ~400whp out of a gen 2 3.1.

As far as how hard is it?

I did it 2 years ago on my car, here are my thoughts.

1) If you want to use all the tgp stuff ie intercooler, radiator, crossover, turbo, etc, you better have access to a parts car. Everything will bolt up, but the little things add up. IF you want the tgp side mount intercooler, you need the tgp radiator, and therefore the tgp radiator support and the tgp fan, then you need a different coolant reservoir etc (just an example). Adds up fast. Everything will be plug and play with a minimum of actual fab work, not too hard.

2) If you just want the minimum turbo stuff, rear manifold, crossover, turbo and downpipe and fab the rest, it's more involved obviously, but you can get away with less TGP parts. Run a FMIC instead of the SMIC, keep your radiator, rad support, fans, etc and run your own intake piping. Not the whole list, but you get the idea.

I went for the complete TGP style so it looks factory, but without a parts car, it nickle and dimed me to death. For my total cost, I could have easily bought a couple TGP parts cars.

What does "Run a FMIC instead of the SMIC" mean?

All of the parts for the conversion are in the mail. The intake and intercooler I may have to tinker with and the coolant reservoir is leaking anyway so i will need a new one.

Im going to check out that link.

thanks

i don't know who does on here other than me, but LOTS of people on the interwebz does it.

60V6 has a few (dave/ben/john)

might be a few others on FTV6...

I got the turbo kit in the mail. I still need the rear manifold, and I need to figure out any wiring and oil/ coolant lines. Im going to try using a Front Mount Intercooler with the stock radiator.

I will put up pics tomorrow.

If you wanna get tuned you should get the laptop, tunerpro, and moates adapter for obd1 tuning and wideband O2 sensor so that turbo v-sick can actually tune your car over the interwebs.

i made 302 whp and 409wtq on a stock tgp setup with a bigger turbo.

im at 396whp now, and going obd2, i strongly suggest it, just use a 96 grand prix 3100 wire harness to make things easiest.

im still on a flat tappet setup aswell.

I have the 60degreev6 chip but its not very good. I think its the one from moates and its tuned right now for the cam setup but the speedo is off and it idle hunts. Would this one work for the turbo setup?

Where can I get this check valve?

Oh and I started working on the lines today. Im going to use the oil pressure sensor fitting w/ a T fitting for the turbo line and going to weld a bung on to the pan. This oil cooler, those (2) 1/2in lines coming off of it go to the return for the pump/ heater by the valve cover? Also, the cooler line off the turbo- return goes to the pipe by the valve cover but the inlet for the cooler, where does it come from and where can I borrow this from? I heard it comes directly from the block.

I got the map sensor at work so now I got that figured out. Found out there it was different

I still need:

-rear manifold

-oil/ cooler lines to be figured out

-change the fuel pump- using Airtex #E2310 60-95gph

-#22lb fuel injectors

-intercooler setup to be figured out- have factory and an aftermarket- about 28"

-trans check valve

-Change spark plugs and wires for turbo apps.

I remember that with your video and you were breakin axles. That was freakin awesome! Did you ever hit 12's yet. Last time I checked you were in low 13teens spinning them.

I plan to keep this OBD1 for now until I know everything works as planned. Remember that this is the vin T motor and a 440T4 not HD so Im going for low boost. The engine has a little over 15,000mi since rebuild.

Are any of these the parts for that valve? Found on rockauto.com

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # AV7T {T-Series}

$6.24 $0.00 $6.24

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # AV7

$9.68 $0.00 $9.68

ACDELCO Part # 214998 {#12562568}

VALVE,SECD AIR INJN CHK 2 HOLES, STAMPED 12562568

$15.30 $0.00 $15.30