New Track Times

90TGP

Well, I just got back from the track tonight. I made it to the 2nd round of Eliminations for the Sport Compact class [classes designated by size of motor and tranny] during the Summit Racing Street Wars series at Quaker City Raceway. I raced during the evening with 60-75 degree temps. Last time at Quaker I was running between 75-85 degree temps in the afternoon.

My car ran MUCH better times then the last time I was at Quaker. My car ran .5 seconds faster then before. Here's a list of my time slips and 60''s.

New Timeslips

1)2.354

2)2.314

3)2.290 (Best 60')

4)2.307

5)2.363

6)2.446

1)15.164@89.64

2)15.150@89.46

3)15.090@89.64 (Best Time)

4)15.139@89.64

5)15.245@89.29

6)15.660@91.28 (Best Speed)

Old Timeslips

1)15.538@87.21

2)15.574@86.87

3)15.652@86.87

4)15.536@86.54

5)16.504@78.95

6)16.477@82.42

7)16.576@82.27

8)16.340@83.64

9)16.405@81.08

As you can probably see, I need new tires for better traction [i'm running R-Rated PepBoys tires and spin pretty good off the line] and more practice to knock my times down even more. Any helpful tips?

Heat soak baby :x , nothing worse than sitting for a long time at the track idling, murder on any turbo engine, just read the tests I posted here on intercooler temps, we already make heat when boosting, worse when the entire intake is already heat soaked. Further tests that I did not get much into posting is how long it takes for the intake to cool down after a hot run, or same idling for long periods of time! When you get to the track (early) then I suggest you let the engine cool with the hood up for as much time as you can/1 to 3 hours, during that time talk with all the other drivers/car owners as that is half the fun anyways, they are as obsessed with cars as you and me :rocking: . When you get ready to get back in line, get there now then shut off the engine, start it only to move then shut it back off, when you are about 2 from the line start it up and let it idle to equalize the temps, do use the burn out box, a burn out will only use a few bucks worth of rubber and helps makes them stick better, and will give time for the chip to be ready for your next pull/run. As for your 60 foots, I had a local TGP owner who was beat by a 3100 Grand Am, he called me to ask what happened, I ask him to come by and we can check things, no problems so I say show me how you race, he floors it and smoke the tires for 30 feet, then I swap places with him, I brake torque just a little then mash the pedal soon as the brake is off, then about 1/2 to 3/4 of a second I let off the gas just a little knowing that is the time the turbo will light up and smoke the tires, then hearing the tires squawk just a little know its about time to mash the gas again, best to practice this on a back road so there is no distraction from the adrenalin of the drag strip, pay attention and find the feel of when you will lose traction, play with it to learn how to manage the boost ramp up, and by the way, my G-Tech showed I knocked off 8 tenths off his ¼ run buy just managing the launch 8) !

Other things, somewhat depends on your tires or anyone’s, 24 to 26 psi front, full max in back/40 or more. Make sure your W-Body rear calipers are not dragging at all, they like to freeze. 1/4 to 1/3 tank gas, ditch the heavy monster stereo system, you can listen to other people’s stereos, you have no choice most the time anyways :yak: .

Those are a few

Good luck!

Jeff M

I have always made sure everthing was nice and cool but people have told me that if i had treaded tired i needed to go around the water pit because water would get in the tread and then i would take it all the way down the track, i dont know though??? Its just something i heard, but the next time i go to the track I will do that thing Jeff was talking about where you can feel the boost ramp up and you know it will make the tires spin so you let off real quick, i will be out on the 26th so i will let you guys know what happens!!!

Interesting, a good thought for sure! If you can spin them fast enough the centrifigul force will sling some of that out, and enough heat from spinning the tires to make them sticky should help dry them out as well, but if track officials/rules are there because they are not sure you will do these enough and maybe leave some water/trac-bite down the track then you might have to just drive around the water and do a dry burn, duh :? !!

Jeff M

I think I get what he is saying, hes saying that when you do a burnout your rear tires just run throught the water, and since they are not spinning all fast like the rear ones are...the water just stays in the tread and you track it down the track, but I guess as long as you have traction with the wheels that the power is going to...you should be fine.

You can kind of blame the track too. Been to Quaker City and as tracks go, it's one of the worst I've been too. They held the 01' J Body Bash there and no one was getting decent traction.

Went to Bandimere in Denver, CO. and never heard as much of a chirp from street tires there. They use some sort of spray on the track launch pad to aid in traction for the high HP guys and unless you are running bicycle tires on a 300 HP car...you STICK to the track! They don't permit street tires through the water box there, there either. 8)