BIG MAJOR HUGE PROBLEM!!!

kadoi

okay im taking out my crank sensor and have it halfway out..THEN IT BREAKS RIGHT IN FREAKIN HALF :shock: :evil: Please i need some serious help what am i suppose to do to get that out...it broke off about a 1/4" into the hole..please anyone help

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kadoi

• Jeff M

• god910

• Dotcutnup

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is no reply since it was a topic discussed so often before, and using the Search feature gets to those posts. While I am here, and as I recall, it happens sometimes to owners, if you can get a needle nose pliers in there to pull on something that is the best, or try and turn/loosen with a screw driver just don’t push it in further (yet). Not sure since it’s a magnetic sensor (small magnet) if using another small magnet on the end of a rod (they have fishing-for-parts tools like this for mechanics, and Sears has them) would match the polarities, and get a strong enough hold. Last thing to do is break it up with a screwdriver and stuff it into the block, then drain the oil, the plastic parts will get stopped by the oil pump pick-up screen, or the filter which is the next thing the oil hits, as for the magnet, it should (?) drop and stick to the side or bottom of the pan, even if it attaches to the crank which will sling it off first high revs you hit.

So, let’s hope the first suggestions do it! Good luck. All that is asked of those who like to help is if you found a better trick than these and if you can, let us know, and also let us know if you got it done.

Jeff M

Thanks alot ...but i dont think that i can get needle nose pliers into the hole since it is a little to far down in there...and where it broke off at the magnet isnt even showing but i will try that just in case...but the last option sounds like what im going to have to do....that sucks...thanks again...

You are welcome. Oh, that far in, it sounded like it was coming out, but not so, did you try to rotate the sensor body first before pulling it out, if so then the O-ring should be dislodged and a metal bar or even a 3 inch 3/8 socket extension might attract the magnet enough to let it come out, if so let us know, even though its only a few that have had your problem, its serious enough as you know to find a way to be successful one way or another! GOOD luck!

Jeff M

yeah at first all i could do was rotate it...and it rotate it pretty easily...so what i am thinking is that it was broke before i even started....and i got the o ring out but that was it....im going to try the magnet thing since i got one of those that get dropped bolts or whatever

YES, that is the tool I was referring to. If you got to the O-Ring then that is about 1/3 of it unfortunately, the rest of a solid body and the magnet is at the bottom, but a pretty strong magnet. Just take your time and persist at it.....idea, spray some contact cleaner in the hold, get the end of the sensor clean this way, then apply some 2 step epoxy (not One-Drop stuff) to the end of the sensor (not on the sides of the hole!!) and a bolt to the glue, let it cure then do not bend it at all just pull straight out, let me know if that works!

Jeff M

Yea I was sure happy to think of it, know a few owners that could of used it (if it works), but there will be more. Another thought is JB Weld makes a Quick Epoxy (5 minutes) and to put the epoxy on the end of the bolt then place on top of whats left of the sensor, hold if to 5 minutes (daydream of it working to kill the time) or so then lets hope, again don't bend over the bolt, only pull out, maybe a little twist, even pushing it back in a little to make sure its not cocked in sidways some. Once you get it out, let us know if it was haning all the way out/expanded for some reason over the years, would be interested to find why these are so difficult, no I don't want one of mine to do it just to fine out :) .

Good luck

Jeff M

so jb weld 5 min epoxy? sounds good...I sure hope this works...and would my crank sensors being this old and now changing it help the way my car runs....since it was throwing a knock senors code....but I had a crank sensor handy so decided to change it to see if that fixed the problem

Crank Sensors are a good to replace, not so to get out, but that is why I like to get them now and not after more age has set in (and they are cheap!!). The knock sensor as you know is right above the crank sensor (to the side a bit), and I have heard of some going bad but no feedback as I recall, on the outcome of those helped. For me I had a guy who had a doggy running engine, come to find sometimes right away, sometimes after some running the knock retard would just shoot to 7 degrees, and always 7 degrees, and stay there. So check the connection and replaced the sensor as it’s easy to do, no fix, then check the wire for contact or breakages all the way to the ECM, and not close to any area that could cause interference, no problems there. Swapped the ECM with known good, nope. Not much left to do and since he likes to treat his baby right and already replaced the ignition module, coils, wires etc, I went with replacing his knock wire with a shielded one grounded on one end (to avoid creating a ground loop!), fixed the problem and no reoccurrences in 3 years. So unless you have a constant knock/engine damage that is all I can suggest for now, I already have many email commitments to lengthy fixes I need to get to, been waiting for a few weeks on these, some longer that I don’t like to remind myself on.

Jeff M

so jb weld 5 min epoxy? sounds good...

JB-Kwik is the name of the fast acting JB Weld. I am sure you already know...but a friendly reminder, don't rush the curing time and make sure you use contact or brake cleaner on the remaining sensor or this will screw you for the next attempt...hopefully not needed!! :wink: Good Luck man!! 8)

No BS...excellent idea Jeff!

yeah just got back home from school...want to thank everyone for being such a big help....I mean i dont have the experience to think of these things and you guys are life savers....boy that was gay lol :lol: but anyways im going to go get both the jb weld and the epoxy stuff and if the jb weld dont work ill try the other...i well let you know if it works...and if it dosent ill be back again with some more help wanted. thanks again

yeah thats right....how old are you man...im going to be out in tucson this summer with my car maybe we can hook up and race em....how fast is yours in the 1/4...yeah it is suprising....i think that my mom would probabaly take my car away if she new what it was :lol: :lol: 8)

Hahaha man, i am 16 too...When are you coming to tucson and what for??? That would be awesome for us to meet up somewhere, yea the same goes for my parents, my dad test drove the car when it was at 2 PSI...so it was sooooo slow, but not any more :twisted: I told him i was running 14's and he was like uh, what, in that car??? Let me know when you are planning on coming out and where you live now!

Yeah im planning to come out there either christmas break or spring break and im usually out there all summer. I live in muncie indiana right now but im suppose to be moving out there this summer. Yeah that would be awesome to meet up. My car runs 14's to and my mom is totally snowballed about how fast this thing is. But anyways the reason im usually out there is we have friends that live in pheonix which isnt to far away from tucson. Maybe well see each other

So when exactly are you guys planning on moving out here??? I use to live in Phoenix and i have family and friends there so i am sure we could meet somewhere up there if we had to! But that would be hella cool if you could move to tucson, any idea where you guys thought you might be moving??? Keep me updated as you would be the ONLY other person i know in tucson with a TGP!!! :D

lol...yeah man ive been looking forward to it too...i think that we would be moving in gilbert or something like that i cant remember but its like 30 min. away from pheonix. Yeah about me being the only one you would know with a TGP i live in muncie where there are four in just about a 30 mile radius lol...lucky me huh. :lol: :twisted:

well guys here is my update on my crank sensor issue...finally got some time to get the air compressor to it...havent tried jeff's idea just yet...but the air compressor didnt even budge it..i mean not a bit...i was wondering Chris how you usually hooked the compressor up to that breather valve. I was also wondering if i could just start the car up and if it would force it out? any in put would be greatly appreciated because im getting to my wits end..Thanks

okay another update. Went and got some super epoxy stuff says it will bond anything to anything and has a pull rating of 2 tons. So i got this and mixed it and put it on the end of a bolt. Got some duck tape and made a circle the same size as the hole to hold the bolt in place...put the bolt in and i am now letting it set. Says it takes 1 hour for it to be at maximum strength. Do you guys think this will work. And if it dosent are there any extreme measures i will have to go through to get it out. Thanks in advance for input. :(