rust spots under gas lid cover

tommyz34

Hello, welcome to the forum!

This is a very common issue with Montes and Luminas from that body design. If you pay attention to other MC or Luminas in parking lots many of them have rust below the gas door. I really don't know what can be done to prevent this or stop it from getting worse other than never driving the car in the rain :lol: The rust is from when the water goes into behind the gas door there is a drain and it rusts the metal from the inside out. I guess the only way to truly fix it would be to cut that area out and repair it. My white 96 Lumina doesn't have this problem but that panel was re-panted by a shop before I bought it due to the paint peeling and it is rust free.

oh and we need PICS!!!!

Mine's rusting in the spot on both sides now. The only way to fix it is to cut out the bad areas and weld in new sheet metal. I'm keeping mine at bay with regular coats of black Rustoleum.

My 1996 Lumina has had the gas lid side repaired with new sheet metal however the other side is just starting but I keep oil and rust paint fired in there, seems to work perfect

What they rust there!!!!!! ? lol :mrgreen:

My 98 Monte Z34 has it too.......Its just little bubbles for now.

You can cut it out and reweld new metal, but Ive seen it come back.

Theres foam in there that usually is soaked with water that you should take out.

• 2 weeks later...

My 00 lumina is exactly the same, surface rust under the fuel door and paint is peeled.

Look at the malibus, at least some of those were recalled for that. I seee nearly every one with that same problem

And beware of the rust on the driver's side quarter window surround. Mine's pretty bad there now too. I sanded it down to pure metal and it just pops up from behind.

And beware of the rust on the driver's side quarter window surround. Mine's pretty bad there now too. I sanded it down to pure metal and it just pops up from behind.

Mine has that starting also. The early 90s saturns rot out there also

Mines doing it on the passenger side :frown:

• 1 month later...

Next week im cutting my rust out and rewelding in new sheet metal even though it will probably come back... I have it really bad on the drivers side and its just starting on the passenger side. Im just going to give it a shot.

thats so weird, because my old man's 97 monte has not had a problem with any rust anywhere, and she has been outside all her life, and just rolled over 150k miles a week or two ago.....

I will keep my eyes out though.

there is another thread around here that is nearly identical to this.

Both the lumina and the monte carlo are extremely common to this problem.

The malibu and cutlass(j-bodies) both had the same problem also but it was actually recalled.

Why the luminas and montes arent is beyond me

I cut out the sheetmetal from a junkyard Cutlass Supreme a few weeks ago and took a photo of it. The reason for the rot is not only because GM applied a sponge in between the sheetmetal, but also because it was done without much thought. Note how the two fuel filler cutouts are different sizes. A smaller sponge should've been applied tightly around the diameter of the fuel door cutout in the outer sheetmetal, but instead was affixed to the larger sized inner, allowing for a perfect reservoir (just above the sponge at the bottom of the photo) to collect water and rot out your panels while you sleep! lol

3947532831_5013029ece_b.jpg

Anyway, i removed the remaining sponge material from the inside of the sheetmetal i cut out from this much less affected low mileage car and smeared silicone over the entire piece (allowing it to fully cure) before i slapped it on my Cutlass. Try to rot that, mother nature.