aftermarket head unit won't fit any ideas

npfd

Hi all,

So recently we decided to swap out some speakers and put an aftermarket head unit in the '97 Olds CS, and we had made a plate to mount the head unit. But after putting all the connectors on and we tried to fit it in but it won't as the connector on the head unit is on the leftmost side in which the chassis, metal and plastic get in the way. I was wondering does anyone have a workaround for this? I would think cutting the metal and plastic not really a good idea... How do you guys usually fit aftermarket units in?

Thank you

on my Olds I used the mounting kit that positions the head unit as high as possible. It clears the internal bracing pretty well that way, but it still can't hurt to trim some of it back.

Get the GM dash kit that has the build out plates in it. Its basically a piece you snap into the front of the kit that makes the radio stick out more. But even with that you still may need to cut that metal and plastic out. Its not a big deal, ive done it many times. Just be careful you dont cut and of the wiring back there.

Thank you dudes, what we did was reverse, or flip the mounting plate we made and the radio fits now. But it does look odd having the head unit stuck closely to the climate controls while there is more gap at the bottom.

• 2 months later...

I just finished a console head unit install on my 94 CS, I soldered in new wiring from where the old unit was and put it down below the ash tray, it's just a plain front loading deck, but the great part is the cd's come out 1/8th inch above the shifter if you do it right, and it looks a hell of a lot better than having it stick out in the stock location :)