TGP Driveability Issues

Addicted To Boost

It has a hard time idling when you first start it, but after that, just driving around it runs decent. It has almost a bog if you accelerate slowly, but if you step on it somewhat, it picks up and accelerates fine. The worst part about it is that it is much slower than it should be. Top end is weak and the no 2-3 shift at WOT are the most noticeable issues.

Also yesterday I got on it hard and it ran up to about 115 at WOT, then acted like it does at the WOT 2-3 shift.. like it was hitting fuel cut. I let off a bit, then I'm pretty sure it shifted into OD.. then I rolled back on the throttle to WOT and it just cut out again. This car really feels like it lost its balls.

One other issue I don't think I mentioned is the boost gauge will freak out and be all over the place when cruising at a steady say 35 MPH.. it will be all over the vacuum part of the gauge, and spike up to 0 a few times, then settle down after a few seconds.. Sometimes the tach will move up and down slightly as well while its doing this.

It doesn't do this at highway speed anymore like it did 2 years ago, and it doesn't shake the whole car like it used to, but since I gave it a full tuneup, the issue still hasn't gone away and this car is getting slower and slower.

I really don't know what it could be.. I don't abuse my car and rarely drive it very hard, like I said, when it was stock I had no problem getting over 30 MPG with it, now its doing all this and struggling to get 20.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• AWeb80

• Crazy K

• slick

The cat looks to have been gutted.. there is a really shitty weld around the perimeter of the cat.

The fuel injectors are fairly new with ~3k on them, replaced in 2007. C302 Yellowtops.

Really, I'd start be actually metering each sensor. So what if it is new, what if it is bad?

I'd start with the O2 sensor. Let it warm up, then read, DC voltage, what the O2 sensor is putting out.

Hell.... your car will run without most of the sensors hooked up. I'd go around and unplug each sensor, one at a time, until you see a change. Unplug one, no change, plug it back in and go to the next.

have you tried operating/starting the car with the TPS unplugged?

Do you have any "suspicious" coolant activity? could you have an air bubble that traps behind the t-stat when you have tried to start it? (affects the temp sensor reading) Has the two wire temp sensor been replaced?

is your crossover good?

The crossover is a Jeff M. unit.

The other day after driving it hard, it was dumping some coolant on the ground from the overflow reservoir, but other than that, the gauge stays fairly steady between 190-220*. The temp sensor has not been replaced, however I do have a new sensor here for it.

I haven't tried driving it without the TPS unplugged. What should that do if its working correctly/incorrectly?

The crossover is a Jeff M. unit.

The other day after driving it hard, it was dumping some coolant on the ground from the overflow reservoir, but other than that, the gauge stays fairly steady between 190-220*. The temp sensor has not been replaced, however I do have a new sensor here for it.

I haven't tried driving it without the TPS unplugged. What should that do if its working correctly/incorrectly?

you won't seen anything over half throttle as the car won't give you enough fuel to do so, but the car can be driven.

Jeff M unit or not, it can still be bad.

Do as Ken and I suggested, start unplugging sensors, one at a time, take it for a quick drive, and see how it acts.

My car has some of the same issues as yours. It bogs down at lower speeds, but if i give it like half throttle its fine. Its got pretty much no balls at anything past half throttle. I get pretty shitty fuel mileage (usually around 20). And its idles rough. The vacuum lines are a complete mess thanks to the previous owner. Im going through and fixing that this weekend. Maybe your problem is vacuum related. We seem to have similar problems and im 99% sure my numerous vacuum leaks are causing them.

I've replaced every vacuum line on this car already, I'm 100% positive there are no leaks.

I just went out and drove it, 1/2 trip with the TPS plugged in, the other half with it unplugged, and it runs exactly the same with it unplugged. The only difference was it wanted to idle at 2500 RPM in park with it unplugged.

I just replaced the MAP sensor with a spare I have sitting here and reset the computer and did an idle relearn, and it still drives the same. It idles better now though, despite a random intermittent light misfire and the boost gauge stays farther down in the green during normal driving, instead of rising to 0 so easily.

Jeff M unit or not, it can still be bad.

There are no leaks on it, I can't smell exhaust under the hood, and its pretty quiet under the hood. I'm pretty sure its not leaking.

I did a compression test last summer when I replaced the plugs, all cylinders were at 160 PSI.

good.

my 93 vert was running like crap... turns out it had a bad prom. got another prom to try?

my 93 vert was running like crap... turns out it had a bad prom. got another prom to try?

I tried swapping out the ECM with a spare I had sitting here, no change.

I swapped out the Hot Tune chip for the stock chip, and it will now shift 2-3 at WOT.. and its not really any slower, just seems to be pushing about 7# of boost vs ~13#.

Think my Hot Tune chip is bad?

I read this on TGPforums as well:

I am getting about 32mpg with the 5 speed, Before that about 28mpg. I would GUESS that it's fuel related. The ford injectors and known for clogging up and the end result is poor fuel economy and slight misfiring at idle... :icon_sad:

I wonder if my new injectors are bad already? :willynilly: This car does do a lot of sitting.

Actually I think they are made by Bosch.

I'm not too happy about the chip.. that was EXPENSIVE

they are bosch injectors.

is Kenny the guy who made it? have you contacted him?

My TGP doesn't get driven much and I have ZERO problems out of my three year old Ford/Bosch injectors that have only about 2,000 miles on them. I've pulled 150-200K mile Bosch/Ford injectors out of various cars before and none of them were clogged. One set I pulled only gained 2-3cc of flow on average after being ultrasonically cleaned + flow tested...they were REALLY clean at 166,000 miles.