Bad front end shake, I need help diagnosing it UPDATE! Shifted belt!

5speedz34

In the past 3 weeks I have noticed that I have a real bad shake, I'm pretty sure its in the front end.

Here are the symptoms: Starts at around 15 mph, becomes the worse at 35-40 when the whole front body shakes. I get some shake in the steering wheel but its MUCH more in the body. The whole car shimmies. The faster I go the less I notice it but the whole car shakes quite a bit on the freeway.

I need an alignment, everything is in spec but Belle Tire doesn't know what the fuck they are doing. Newer tires (maybe I have a shifted belt?) When I take my hands off the wheel the wheel travels left and right just a bit. I was thinking maybe a wheel weight fell off but I would think that I would get a shake in the wheel.

I almost wonder if the tire is loose on the hub, that's almost what it feels like. I know there is nothing I can do until I jack it up and look at it.

Here's whats new:

Tires (used but straight)

Driver's side wheel bearing

Rack

Driver's side cv shaft

Inner and outer tie rods.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm going to be calling Belle Tire tomorrow and tell them I want another alignment for free since they don't know what they're doing. I will have them look at the front end at the same time though.

Did you ever rotate your tires like you said you would when you talked to me on the phone about it?

No I haven't had a chance too.

Like I said it's really bad at lower speeds and it's definitely worse at higher speeds but I think it's getting drowned out by road noise, tire speed, etc.

gotta be a tire problem. I'm thinking shifted belt too. You can try at least jacking up the rear off the ground, manually spin the wheels and watch the tires for a deformity.

gotta be a tire problem. I'm thinking shifted belt too. You can try at least jacking up the rear off the ground, manually spin the wheels and watch the tires for a deformity.

This weekend I will take a look at it. What would spinning the rear tires do for me? The shake is definitely from the front end. I'm down in Detroit and I don't have a driveway nor do I have a jack. How bad is it to drive like this? I don't plan on going far but most of my driving is highway and it feels like the car is about to separate itself.

My other question; can I get an alignment like this?

I would think an alignment is a waste of time if you have a bad tire. I know it sounds nuts, but it could just be out of balance. Rotate the tires and see what happens. Before doing this I think the previous suggestion of jacking the car up and spinning the tires might show an obvious tire defect (check front and rear).

That's what I figured. A weight could have fallen off, but I'm not getting a shake in the steering wheel as much as I'm getting a shake in the body. Who knows though I've never driven a car with possible missing weights.

does it get better when you remove your foot of the gas?

Umm not really.

What I have found is that when I'm moving slowly (0-20 mph) every revolution of the tire pulls or pushes the wheel to the right. So if I'm rolling.....every revolution I feel a yank in the wheel to the right and a pull or push to the right. It does the opposite and pulls or pushes to the left in reverse.

My roommate and I where on the expressway coming home and heard a loud pop (engine back firing, or like a tire popping). He and I both got scared since it was from over our heads (the sunroof was open). I thought I blew a tire but I wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure it was a backfire from another car. :lol: :willynilly:

Next Friday and Saturday I have to work and I will be pulling the tires to check them out. This weekend I was at my apartment.

UPDATE!

I've been trying to look for it every time I park, well today I found it!

Its shifted across and there is a huge bulge in my sidewall. So my question is how dangerous is this?

IIRC he told me that they are decade old goodyears of some sort.

Ya they have DOT codes from the end of '97. IIRC-Uniroyals of some sort.

This sucks.....because I wanted new tires around x-mas but my dad refused to "put any money into this car." So I had to settle for some used tires my friend had, these tires where good until now.

I'm going to speak to my mom later today because I don't need a fucking blow out. The last time I waited on doing something my ball joint broke on me. Maybe a payment plan to her will convince her.

I found a set of Generals that I like. $82 a piece on Tire Rack, the regional big tire place around here quoted me $440 mounted and balanced which is a good price for these. They said they will have to order them though and it will take a day or so to get there. Good thing I live a mile from campus( I bike), I'm going to limp the car home on Thursday and throw my spare on for the time being (my wheel well is filled with water so nothing is in it.) :lol: Hopefully sometime next week I will be getting new tires.

If anyone has any recommendations for tires feel free!

What size rim? 16?

Yes.....225/60/16

You really can't beat the performance of those tires for the price. Granted they may be low tread life (55k) but with proper care I think they will outlast the life of the vehicle.

Tony, I think your more concerned about money than performance at this point, get your priorities straight.

If your really in a pinch, go to Walmart, and get a cheap set of tires put on. Hell..... most of the tire places always run deals on there cheap tires if you buy 4 new ones.

Honestly its gona be tough to beat $440 for 4 new tires mounted and balanced of any brand or kind. Even wal-marts good year vivas are still about that for 4 out the door.

Tony, I think your more concerned about money than performance at this point, get your priorities straight.

If your really in a pinch, go to Walmart, and get a cheap set of tires put on. Hell..... most of the tire places always run deals on there cheap tires if you buy 4 new ones.

I agree with you, but I don't think you can get 225/60/16's for cheaper than $80 at Wal-Mart. I would consider Viva 2's but I don't want to get stuck in the snow. Let me check Wal-Marts website.

EDIT: I would consider Wal-Mart but I seriously rather not support that company, plus I know how shitty the quality of employee is there. EDITx2:Alright, I checked Wal-Mart's site and Viva 2's (I think they carry cheaper tires in the store, but I know anything below Viva 2's are absolute crap) are $80 a piece. I'd rather spend the extra $2 a tire for the Generals. If I shop around for the General's and get a lower price, Belle Tire will price match.

for what its worth Viva2s being as cheap as they are are a pretty alright tire for how little you pay. Shaun had them on the regal for 2 winters and that car just plowed right through it all, they were alright in the rain and dry pavement too, nothing "OMG amazing" but not a bad tire at all.

with my firestone card, I had 4 new firehawk indy 500's installed on the car for $360+tax. granted, they don't make these tires on a 16" rim, but you get the idea.

for what its worth Viva2s being as cheap as they are are a pretty alright tire for how little you pay. Shaun had them on the regal for 2 winters and that car just plowed right through it all, they were alright in the rain and dry pavement too, nothing "OMG amazing" but not a bad tire at all.

No I agree they aren't terrible but read my edited post. I can't remember the cheapest set Wal-Mart makes, I think it's Douglas. They're made in South America somewhere and are about $60 a tire if they are even made anymore. Those are absolute garbage and I refuse to run them.

$82 a tire is tough to beat in a 16" and the quality of the tires I posted.