Quick cat size question UPDATE: Exhaust installed, video

digitaloutsider

Does anyone know off hand what inner/outer diameter the cat on the TGP is? I'm guessing it's 2.25" but I don't really have a clue. I'm getting the mandrel bent exhaust put on tomorrow and I need to know if I have to pick up a cat. Thanks!

Pretty sure its 2.25, but its been a couple years since I've swapped the cat on it.

Is that Marks Mandrel system? I have mine that has to go on the TGP as well

Putting mufflers on it?

I'm going to add an 18" resonator in the stock 93+ location, and go mufflerless. Should sound good.

I'm gonna run mufflerless as well. I have a resonator, but there's really nowhere to put it. I think I could put it after the 90 degree bend (excuse our filthy floor, we had tons of people over this weekend):

1.jpg

it doesn't look like it'd work right after the cat with the way it bends up to meet the cat and all:

2.jpg

I just ordered a vibrant 18" ss resonator for my 2.5 aluminized system. I will probably hold on to the 3" ss system for a while until I decide which car to put it in.

what brand and length did you go with? and where did you get it? I paid $76 shipped from sfx but they are taking forever to get it to me.

I will be going mufflerless at first to see how it is. but I don't know what tips to get yet. pretty sure I won't be using stock though. I gotta experiment with the cheaper system I got first. got lucky and only paid $115 for it but I'm sure it will be several hundred before it's all said and done.

The exaust system that I gave with you is 2.5" aluminized. Not sure if you knew that or not, but I wouldn't bottleneck the system with a 2.25" cat.

EDIT: Granted that the downpipe does limit the exhaust flow, I'd go with 2.5" for everything. IIRC, there is someone working on custom crossovers for the TGP's with larger downpipes.

Yeah, I know it's a 2.5 system, but with the 2.25" downpipe and the fact that I don't plan on every upgrading it, I don't feel it's worth the extra cost. I just want something a little nicer under the car for now.

Sweet! I have to get on this myself.

I have a Vibrant 18" SS resonator and was planning on putting it beside the gas tank like yours.

I also have a 2.5" cat, and a 2.5" electric cutout for before the cat. I plan on wiring it to a factory performance sound switch using a relay.

I'm going to buy some 2.5" OD aluminum tubing and have my cousin or uncle TIG weld 4" lengths of it to the back of the factory tips, coping out the old inlet and material blocking the new 2.5" inlet.

The tips will slide into the 2.5" piping and be clamped on like stock.

Got the new exhaust on. I can stay two things; A.) the exhaust was certainly not designed with TGPs in mind and b.) it was not designed for use without mufflers. There was a lot of modification required to make it fit right, and in the end we just said fuck it and aligned the pipes so aftermarket straight tips will line up right. The stock TGP tips are angled/bent to make up for how wonky the stock mufflers fit. So basically that means my stock tips are sitting about an inch and a half too low, but whatever, fuck it. It's on the car now and I just need to find some good aftermarket tips.

The video really doesn't do justice. It sounds great in real life.

Sounds nice! It doesn't seem as loud as I thought it would be.

I'm not so sure I like the sound of the 3400 starter now.

Sounds good for not having any mufflers on it. I know it must sound much better in person, recordings never give it justice, i know, because mine sounds much better in person as well.

I know when Mark did the design for those, he used the lumina as a test platform, that is probably why it didn't have the right placement for the TGP.

On another note, the car looks like it is in awesome shape.

Has the same tone as mine(black), but I'm sure it's louder since yours is catless. Looks like someone put 2 of my old videos up on youtube, I saw them on the sidebar after watching your video.

We ended up putting the resonator after the 90 degree bend because the length of pipe they used there was not long enough to clear the monoleaf. Without it, the exhaust split directly under the spring. The left side of the exhaust (the part that connects to the Y) had to be custom fabricated because it's designed to be used with stock W-body exhaust components, not a mufflerless setup. This would probably be a lot easier to fab up if you're not dead-set on having the stock tips.

I'll try and get some good pictures tomorrow. The ones I got tonight didn't come out well.

Got the new exhaust on. I can stay two things; A.) the exhaust was certainly not designed with TGPs in mind and b.) it was not designed for use without mufflers. There was a lot of modification required to make it fit right, and in the end we just said fuck it and aligned the pipes so aftermarket straight tips will line up right. The stock TGP tips are angled/bent to make up for how wonky the stock mufflers fit. So basically that means my stock tips are sitting about an inch and a half too low, but whatever, fuck it. It's on the car now and I just need to find some good aftermarket tips.

The video really doesn't do justice. It sounds great in real life.

Awesome! I can't wait to hear it in person. :mrgreen: