service video on DVD? anyone have it?

jpmtotoro

First off... hi everyone! My name is JP and I picked up a 95 triple white vert a little while ago and I'm in the process of slowly bringing it back to life. It's such a large, awkward vehicle... but still, there is something endearing about it.

Long story short... I ordered a black cloth top from EZon recently and will have some coworker/friends of mine put it on. They have done lots of convertibles (we work at a tier 1 convertible company), but they haven't done THIS PARTICULAR vehicle. So... I'm expecting this to be fun (on the same magnitude of having your wisdom teeth taken out or a very square kick in the crotch).

I saw that a user made DVD copies of the service video for this. Does anyone have a copy of this? I would LOVE to get my hands on one. I think this would help out immensely.

Also, has anyone else taken a fairly active role in installing a top? If so, I'd love feedback about possible pitfalls I should avoid. Apparently I need butyl tape, but I'm not sure what size. I also have access to air-powered staple guns if necessary.

again, i'm not doing it myself, but my friends do the sebring, solstice, corvette, and viper tops. so i think with a little help, they can figure this one out, too. but the service video would help immensely, i believe.

thanks!

JP

I do, I actually have it for sale in one of my threads. I know I have most if not all of the other stuff with the whole kit he had, too. Lemme see if I can dig it up (99% sure I know where it is)

that's fantastic. i'm next to the pontiac silverdome, so you aren't too far away at all. i'll cross my fingers... the current top is the ORIGINAL. it's not in AWFUL shape, but it's not that nice, either. i can't wait to get the black cloth top on it. it won't be a "triple white" anymore, but i think it'll look better. much easier to care for as well.

Booh! White with White looks so much better!

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

And yes, I found the kit (I had the DVD right next to my computer). The only thing I used from the kit was 2 of the 8 peg sleeves, so there are still 6 unused ones, plus the cups and retaining washers.

well, they don't make white cloth so... black wins! :) plus i'll have tinted windows, so the whole top half of the car will be black, basically. although yours does look nice as well. especially with the blackened tail lights... where did you get those?

i'm not exactly what was included in "the kit" so i'm not sure if I need any of those other components. i'm just assuming the "cups" are the pieces that the guide pins fall into at the headliner. i could definitely use some of those i think.

since yours is all white... what have you done to keep the seats white? the leather on the driver's seat was never cleaned, so it's dingy. it needs to be whitened. the leather feels alright and isn't too worn out at all. no cracks or tears... it's just not white.

JP

I had a graphite interior, but I actually got rid of the car about two months ago :sad: I definitely want another, specifically a '94 white/white/graphite (my favorite combo). If the guy who has it now still has it for sale in a few months, i might see if he'll sell it back (although it does have a black top now :sad: )

do you have the means of making a copy of the DVD? if not, i could bring my laptop up and rip a copy in 10 minutes. i MAY also be interested in a cup kit... i suppose i'd just have to see what exactly it contains, and then look at my convertible and check the condition of those parts.

well, they don't make white cloth so... black wins! :) plus i'll have tinted windows, so the whole top half of the car will be black, basically. although yours does look nice as well. especially with the blackened tail lights... where did you get those?

i'm not exactly what was included in "the kit" so i'm not sure if I need any of those other components. i'm just assuming the "cups" are the pieces that the guide pins fall into at the headliner. i could definitely use some of those i think.

since yours is all white... what have you done to keep the seats white? the leather on the driver's seat was never cleaned, so it's dingy. it needs to be whitened. the leather feels alright and isn't too worn out at all. no cracks or tears... it's just not white.

JP

i have a white interior, and i tried a few things. bleach and water worked best but i stained my carpet. but the second best was mr clean and water but the eraser would probably work better

JP

i have a white interior, and i tried a few things. bleach and water worked best but i stained my carpet. but the second best was mr clean and water but the eraser would probably work better

That's what I used on mine.

do you have the means of making a copy of the DVD? if not, i could bring my laptop up and rip a copy in 10 minutes. i MAY also be interested in a cup kit... i suppose i'd just have to see what exactly it contains, and then look at my convertible and check the condition of those parts.

Well, I wanted to sell the whole kit, since I basically haven't even touched it. $30 is what i have in my FS thread, I think it was like $45 or $50 originally

30 bucks with a copy of the DVD? yeah, i think... set it aside for me. send me a PM and we can figure out payment and shipping. might be easier to just meet somewhere.

no bleach for me! :biggrin:

mr. clean and water... or an eraser? or is there an "eraser" product i should be looking for?

well, I just bought a copy from psych0 along with some other stuff, so... i'll see what i can do. if the video is actually USEFUL, i'll see what I can do for the rest of you.

as for the mr. clean erasers... i found some at the grocery store today and tried them out; they didn't turn my seats WHITE, but they did make them considerably WHITER. There was a definite glaze of "ick" on the driver's seat that I couldn't remove before, but these seemed to work well. only downside is they fall apart so damn quickly! i wish the seat would be whiter, but I think the leather is just more worn and will never be as white as the other seats in the car (unless other owners have some other tricks to try!).

anyway, i'll see what i can do about the video. cross your fingers!

• 1 month later...

i finally received the video! and i've been able to make another copy of the DVD. it's a nasty video by today's standards, BUT i think it's quite informative. worth seeing if you plan on replacing your own top (although i'll admit, it'll probably just kill your dreams and you'll decide to pay to have it done).

on the bright side, it shows you how to track down leaks in the seals and fix them. could be useful for some people.

if i make a rip of this movie, it's still probably going to be like... 100 or 200mb at least (much better than the original 2Gb DVD, though). then, i could upload it to someone. but does anyone have a website that could host this? OR another option... if i sent someone an avi or mpg version of this movie, would they be willing to upload it to youtube perhaps? i think it has to be split into 10-minute segments, but it could be done.

feedback? i'd like to find a solution that doesn't involve me making copies of a DVD and making trips to the post office (evil, dreadful place).

JP

im not much for computer crap like but i would most definitely be interested in a copy

if you sent me an email with an attachment i can try and rip it to disc but no promises

i can copy it, no problem. issue is, if i make an mpeg or something of it, it'll be quite large, and it will need to be hosted somewhere, so others can download it (way too big to email). or maybe someone with a youtube account could post it there. i just need some form of electronic hosting/distribution. i don't know if this forum itself would be willing to host it, but probably not. depended on what their monthly bandwidth allotment is :)