'93 GP Running Rough - Clogged Cat?

GP1138

I'm seriously starting to suspect the '93 is out of time, it starts up just fine but it acts like it's missing on two cylinders. I've replaced coilpacks and plugs, wires are in the right place and plugs that came out (PLATINUM AUTOLITES) were black and sooty. The odor of raw fuel is prominent after shutoff.

What are some symptoms of timing being off on these motors?

You replaced the coils, but did you replace the ICM?

No, I guess I didn't figure on it being bad more than the coils... It was too much of a bitch or I would have pulled it off the '94 DOHC before it departed. :bash:

Put a vacuum gauge on it. Hook it up anywhere past the throttle body. It should have about 18 inches of vacuum at idle. It it's got close to that you're valves are opening and closing at the right time. If it's not there's a problem. When the timing belt jumped on my GTP a couple weeks ago, I put a vac gauge on it and found it was only pulling 12 inches at idle. Knew right away it was out of time (just put the new belt and tensioner on today actually).

No, I haven't had a second to work on it the past few days. When Thursday afternoon comes along, I might have time, but I won't have an ICM. Maybe I'll see if I can rent a vacuum gauge.

Took this out around the block again today, and it's still got a miss in the idle, manifesting in a poot-poot in the exhaust and dying at stops/no power.

Today I noticed that what sounded like a possible lower engine knock when warm is actually the catalytic convertor rattling with the poot-poot of the exhaust. The only way I can describe this is it sounds exactly like a light lower-engine knock. I might put up a video.

Sounds kind of like a clogged cat. Thats what my Z24 did, had a knocking sound and had a huge power loss. I had only straight pipe from the cat back at the time and it would also get very quiet at the same time it would lose power. If I was coasting to a stop at idle and hit a bump it would instantly get louder and had more power when I took off, but as soon as I took off it would plug back up, get quiet and lose power again.