Windshields

Spilly

Today I got quoted on a new windshield for the Regal, $179 installed. Is that a good deal?

My insurance doesn't cover it so I gotta pay out of pocket.

Whats the going rate on windshields for the 1st gens? Hopefully will have it done on Friday, makes me happy that I'm finally starting to make some progress on this car.

Not bad installed. Don't know what rates are for installation, but last year I bought a brand new one for my Z34 from Auto Value, (Pilkington brand WS) and it was like ~75 bucks. But we have a different discount rate at school than a shop or business gets, so I don't know what it would retail at.

about 5 years ago, it cost 300 for the monte...

$500 deductible, $300 for the parts/labor.........insurance is a real pain in the ass.

Make sure that they are NOT USING CHINESE GLASS.

Almost all the low-dollar quotes--and maybe some of the high-dollar quotes as well--will be for cheap crappy Communist Chinese windshields.

The windshield on my '93 Lumina was PERFECT when I bought the car. Within six months it had chipped; cracked the full width of the glass; and it has a BILLION tiny pits in it that make driving into a sunrise or sunset hellish.

No gravel roads; no sandstorms. Just CRAPPY CHINESE GLASS.

the black 94(95 clone car) had a windshield put in at glassmaster 3 years ago. still perfect to this day... :dunno: I would not hesitate, though I would prefer PPG glass... and I'm not paying for HUD galss even though the 95 has a HUD....

Make sure that they are NOT USING CHINESE GLASS.

Almost all the low-dollar quotes--and maybe some of the high-dollar quotes as well--will be for cheap crappy Communist Chinese windshields.

x2

The price you were quoted is excellent, but only IF they use quality glass, and don't do shoddy work on the install. Make sure it's a reputable shop you're taking it to.

I would not hesitate, though I would prefer PPG glass... and I'm not paying for HUD galss even though the 95 has a HUD....

I have installed a HUD into several GPs that didn't come with it, and have found the lack of a "HUD windshield" to make very little difference. It's a tad harder to see in the sunlight, but it is still visible. At night, the difference is basically non-existent.

I have installed a HUD into several GPs that didn't come with it, and have found the lack of a "HUD windshield" to make very little difference. It's a tad harder to see in the sunlight, but it is still visible. At night, the difference is basically non-existent.

exactly, and do you really NEED a HUD? you do have a guage cluster, which should suffice during the day.

exactly, and do you really NEED a HUD? you do have a guage cluster, which should suffice during the day.

There's another issue with that. If it's bright out, I usually have sunglasses on while driving, which I've found makes the HUD damn near impossible to see through. Maybe it's just my glasses, I don't know.

You're on the money with the HUD glass, D.

there is still debate out there about the nature of HUD glass. the gen 1 service manuals say they are just "clarity checked glass". some people say they are different

I'd prefer to get better glass, but since the "chinese"???? glass from glass masters works fine.... in fact, I'll have to check the brand I got next week.

RE: modern HUD glass. I went to the dealership down the street and looked at the new corvettes. they do indeed have different part numbers on the glass between HUD and Non-HUD cars. (yes, the same # between similarly equipped vettes) I need to find a polarizer to check them for polarization.