getting more bass out of my convertable.....

jayman

was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how i'd go about achieving more bass out of the car while the top is down, other than better more powerful subs. it sounds great with the top up but i was wondering if anyone had some tricks for box positioning or something? ive got a pioneer deck infinity speakers all around its definately killer on the highs, and 2 12 xplod subs in a sealed box mono

thanks

Its REALLY hard to get good bass out a convertible with the top down. Bass neds something to resonate off of and with the top down there really is nothing. What direction do you have the box facing? Its best to fire it towards the trunk lid that way the bass is bouncing off that. You could also try a ported box. Or of course bigger amp/subs. I always thought a custom enclosure in the back seat would sound real good in one of those cars. But then you lose the backseat and it probably wouldnt be cheap to have built.

Its REALLY hard to get good bass out a convertible with the top down. Bass neds something to resonate off of and with the top down there really is nothing. What direction do you have the box facing? Its best to fire it towards the trunk lid that way the bass is bouncing off that. You could also try a ported box. Or of course bigger amp/subs. I always thought a custom enclosure in the back seat would sound real good in one of those cars. But then you lose the backseat and it probably wouldnt be cheap to have built.

ive got them facing up at the trunk lid for now. otherwise they don't fit in there with the top down.lol i also tried a ported box as well but i found the bass wasn't that clear. im thinking an upgrade in power would be in ideal way to go. something a little better quality. im thinking solobaric kickers, friend of mine had them in his jetta and it peeled the paint right off the roof! lol

ive got them facing up at the trunk lid for now. otherwise they don't fit in there with the top down.lol i also tried a ported box as well but i found the bass wasn't that clear. im thinking an upgrade in power would be in ideal way to go. something a little better quality. im thinking solobaric kickers, friend of mine had them in his jetta and it peeled the paint right off the roof! lol

Sony Xplod and Solobaric Kickers? It really doesn't sound like you know much more about car audio than what's available at your nearest Best Buy. Anything Sony I've heard in car audio sounds like complete crap and is terrible quality, and Solobaric kickers are SPL subs, and are severely overpriced. They won't work as well in a sealed box. Both of those are underpowered and overpriced subs. What kind of amp do you have powering those subs?

There are many other much better brands you can go with when it comes to car audio that will give you much better performance and quality for the same price.

That being said, how much are you willing to spend?

I have 2 Kicker L5s in my TGP right now. They are loud as hell and sound great on rap, but on most other kinds of music they sounds kinda shitty. I listen to alot of trance music now so i got new subs that are going in soon that will hopefully have better SQ. Kickers would still be better than the Sonys but if you listen to anything other than rap i dont think you will be happy. Also keep in mind Solobarics like big ported boxes, sounds like you are having a hard time fitting a smaller sealed box in there.

You probably need to talk to an ol' boy over on gmwbody.com that goes by Tijuana_no. His car (1993 CS convertible) CONSISTENTLY wins SPL competitions.

Sony Xplod and Solobaric Kickers? It really doesn't sound like you know much more about car audio than what's available at your nearest Best Buy. Anything Sony I've heard in car audio sounds like complete crap and is terrible quality, and Solobaric kickers are SPL subs, and are severely overpriced. They won't work as well in a sealed box. Both of those are underpowered and overpriced subs. What kind of amp do you have powering those subs?

There are many other much better brands you can go with when it comes to car audio that will give you much better performance and quality for the same price.

That being said, how much are you willing to spend?

you are correct..lol i suppose mayeb a grand or so would do me jsut fine for a decent amp/sub combo. ive got a JBL amp i got from a used website for 50$ ive had it for a year or so and its now just crapping out. any reccomendations would be appreciated

$1,000 for a sub and amps will have you needing 0/2 gauge wiring to the battery and maybe even a beefier alternator.

slick, what would you recommend? its been a littl while since i've researched the latest in car audio.

Ive always seen bandpass boxes used in open-air cars. Id try that. i have a 400watt rms kenwood sub and a 400 watt rms amp that may or may not make it into the gp.

I have 2 Kicker L5s in my TGP right now. They are loud as hell and sound great on rap, but on most other kinds of music they sounds kinda shitty. I listen to alot of trance music now so i got new subs that are going in soon that will hopefully have better SQ. Kickers would still be better than the Sonys but if you listen to anything other than rap i dont think you will be happy. Also keep in mind Solobarics like big ported boxes, sounds like you are having a hard time fitting a smaller sealed box in there.

Let me know because even though i listen to rock, i listen to just as much techno, dance. Id like to go with something thats gonna sound go inside and be heard outside.

Let me know because even though i listen to rock, i listen to just as much techno, dance. Id like to go with something thats gonna sound go inside and be heard outside.

why?

so he can have his shit stolen, that's why. there is absolutely no purpose for having your subs heard outside your car. it makes you look like a showoff idiot and annoys the hell out of everyone you pull up next to. nobody cares to hear your bass, as they probably don't hear much of the rest of the music since it seems bass is all you care about.

its tacky and stupid to go around bumping your bass so everyone can hear. even if they could hear your music, I doubt they'd want to as they have their own.

spend your money on better stereo speakers, a better stereo amp, and sound dampening. high amounts of spl are useless.

its amazing how much money and time people spend to try to impress people they probably don't like anyway.

Annoying as hell when some pencil dick goes through your neighborhood at 1:30 AM and your house is rattling...

I'm about to shoot that dumb bastard...

oh whatever, Its probably just some young kid having fun and enjoying life.

the neighbors brats wake us up every morning with there bubblegum pop music and bouncing on the trampoline and it is annoying as hell but whaddaryagonnado?? wait for them to play for 10 minutes then go back to bed grandpa. :lol:

bass in cars is about 1/1000 as annoying as short pipes on a harley or turbo deisel trucks with 6" exhaust.

high amounts of spl are useless.

Unless you compete in SPL competitions or just plain like alot of bass....not everyone has the same taste in music ::)

I used to bump my system everywhere, but now i turn it down if im sitting at a light or going through a real populated area. But i do most of my driving in the country where there are very few houses and most are off the road anyways. So really whats the harm in bumping the system then? No point in having subs if you keep the volume down all the time.