ok - VIN 'T' vs. VIN 'V' block

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

is the 'V' engine block really stronger? and no opinions please - i'm just looking for facts and besides i'm just curious. and what's the internal differences besides the block? is the crank *really* different? the connecting rods? does anyone here REALLY know? so far i have not seen a definative answer to the differances of these two motors as far as the short block goes (besides minor deck hieght difference). i remember Mick seriously doubting GM would go so far as to use a different crank or block in the TGP, and some others just seem to think they are stronger, because other people said it was or whatever and it's just nice to think their 'V' engine is stronger. either way, i hope it's stronger since i have a 'V' engine myself.

curious joshua

Here we go again

Well the fact is no one really knows.

I didn't waste the time to check the crank for hardness or tear down another '90 3.1 just to see the differences.

From what I can tell, and this comes from taking motors apart at differing times.

The crank is different from a regular 3.1 of the same time period. All cranks now are the same with the possible difference that the crank has been hardened. Casting numbers are irrelevant here.

The blocks appear the same. I've never seen any mention of a stronger block.

The rods are the same

The pistons are different. They used Mahle's with the reinforcing steel band.

Really not that much different. If you get a similar 3.1 from the same year and its not a GM Goodwrench motor, it will be weaker overall.

Guest TurboSedan

i wonder how you could tell the difference between the cranks - maybe the 'V' crank is heavier or something? could a machine shop compare the two and tell which was better? i myself wouldn't bother buying a VIN 'V' block, i'd just use thicker head gaskets. and if you're rebuilding anyway just get lower compression pistons.

thanks for the info Chris.

joshua

i wonder how you could tell the difference between the cranks - maybe the 'V' crank is heavier or something? could a machine shop compare the two and tell which was better? i myself wouldn't bother buying a VIN 'V' block, i'd just use thicker head gaskets. and if you're rebuilding anyway just get lower compression pistons.

thanks for the info Chris.

joshua

(From memory) the TGP has a 981 crank.

The Vin V block already has the extra oil passages drilled, unlike the Vin T block.

Thats the problem, they ALL (3.1's) had a 981 crank. Its the post casting process that is different. The TGP crank definitely differed in that it had rolled fillets. Other cranks of the time didn't.

You could have the crank checked for hardness. That would tell you if its been treated.

Chris