Making my header/Logs....FINISHED !!!!!!!!!!

AWeb80

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AWeb80

• slick

• RobertISaar

• Brian P

like I said......it's taken me a while to learn the correct wire speed and power to get a good weld.

i learned how to MIG before i learned how to ARC. lets put it this way: figuring out wire speed and power with a MIG, yeah kind of frustrating, but nothing compared to getting a shitty arc welder to do half the job a MIG would do. MIG is a helluva lot faster too, at least for me

I've always just practiced with the same type of material, in scrap, on the side before I went at the project. Usually took me about 10-15 minutes to find the right settings, then i'd be on my way.

I did a lot of the welding on that feeder you seen of mine.

BTW, make a grinder your best friend!!! Haha.

good news.

I looked at the stock rear mani and decided it's not worth the time to make a rear one, when for stock, and on a stock 3100, a custom rear mani isn't worth the time....the stock one isn't all that bad. Besides, if I made a custom one, I'd have to make a custom DP as matching up to my 2.5" one now would be a HUGE PITA.

Now, i'll have a custom front Mani and X over.....those 2 things are where the real bottle neck is...not to mention the stock DP....but, if all goes well, I should have everything fab'd and welded up this weekend.

I'll get some pics w/ measurements tonight to show what I'm going to do.

here is the flex pipe.

IMG_4052.jpg

the stock flange on the ball and socket fits snugly inside the Xover pipe...so I'll flare it out and weld the 3 bolt flange and it should work great. The 3 bolt flange fits right over the pipe too.

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

I'll port the inside of of this a bit...I can' be opened up a 1/4" or so

IMG_4049.jpg

You can see how the stock rear manifold angles down and really the only port that doesn't flow too well is the middle one....but it's still angled a bit. The openings of the ports are decent size, I'll go through them and open up the inside of the log as much as I can. and even on the downside where the downpipe connects is over 2" which isn't bad, but I'll open it a bit too.

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

with a good flowing front mani and bigger X over and slightly ported rear, it should flow nicely w/ my 2.5" DP on there.

using the stock rear mani really takes the stress off becuase I had no idea how I was going to design a rear mani to bolt up to the front and fit a DP in there all w/ the small down pipe area to work w/ on the firewall.....

if it were me, I'd make two logs just like the front mani, then fab a custom xover which also serves as a Y pipe. Think something similar to the TGP exhaust mani setup, only instead of the exhaust being routed to a turbo, it goes straight to the downpipe. The biggest problem with these manifolds is how the two banks merge together. Your style rear manifold is alright, but it's also prone to cracking.

Also, you said you got that flexpipe locally? I need a 2" one just like that to fix my gf's Elantra. Let me know contact info if you have it!

worked on porting and smoothing the downside of the rear manifold (where the DP bolts on)

BEFORE

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

30 Minutes later

Not quite done...but it's all I had time for today.

Had to use a holesaw to get down inside and take off some of the deposits from where the rear manifold hits the opposite side of the collector....

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

Maybe I missed it, but are you looking to mass produce these? Seems like a lot of time and work, but once you have one to work off of, the rest should be easy to make.

The bits and tool I used for porting the rear mini.

Good Ol' old school Craftsman die grinder.....130psi for a few hrs. and it's a good 12 years old.

IMG_4097.jpg

OK, got the rear mani ported and ready to go.

Here is the entrance toe the rear mani from the X-over.

Nasty looking.........

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

I opened it up a bit.... :high5:

IMG_4074.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

Here is teh DP side of the manifold....

a reminder how NASTY and small it was........

IMG_4061.jpg

DONE!!!!!

I spent lots of time here. I forgot to measure what it was.....but I bet I took out nearly a 1/4"...

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4094.jpg

finally, the ports them selves....

They all looked pretty much the same.

IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

I didn't open them much, as they are not too bad already, I just smoothed everything out and opened it up down stream as much as possible..

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg