Frame Brace???

RobertISaar

Strut tower end? I got one out I could measure. Parts catalog may list a size too.

I'm at work right now... I'll be checking the parts catalog when I get home.

Yes, the frame brace bolt on the strut tower end... if you feel like measuring that would be cool.

I work at a pretty large automotive and industrial supplier, can get nuts bolts clips fasteners and pretty much whatever ya need. If you need anything let me know and I can roll some numbers around. I'd love to put together a list of every single plastic clip in these cars and what the supplier's part number is. We buy from Auveco, pretty much THE manufacture of trim retainers.

OK... parts catalog indicates it is a M8x1.25x25 bolt.

That seems like a plenty standard size... the hardware store should absolutely have a suitable replacement.

EDIT: For further reference, the other 2 frame brace bolts are indicated to be M8x1.25x20

I guarantee you any good hardware store will have them.

Actually... now that I think about it... I 100% guarantee a decent hardware store will have them... it's exactly the same size as the TGP's turbo-to-downpipe bolts, so I might have one already... assuming I have not misplaced my extras.

drill... i keep stepping up sizes and then trying to get the rest of the bolt to break too.

Using a drill bit as a reamer is poor practice.

Better to drill a small pilot hole--say 1/8"--and then drill once, for real, with the final drill size.

Using a batch of bits, each one small increment bigger than the previous one, is very hard on the bit. They'll go dull fast due to too much pressure on the outer-diameter part of the cutting edge.

The "proper" method is to examine the final drill bit you want to use, and then pop the pilot hole with a bit "just" larger than the WEB of the final bit.

and i did anti-sieze EVERYTHING(WD-40)

You've already been told about that. I've been using Loctite C5-A/Permatex Copper-based antiseize for the last couple of years.

31163.jpg

Before that, I used Permatex 80071 4-ounce brush-top.

Edited by Schurkey

11501193 BOLT, HEX W/CON SPR WA, M10X1.5X40, 9.8, GM6174-M (F/END SH MET DIAG BR)

Measured mine to verify, that is the correct size.

That is interesting... I got my M8x1.25x25 measurement out of my parts book for 1989-1990 Grand Prix.

I have not verified this on my car yet, but it's what the book says.

Where is your measurement from?

I find it hard to believe that different years would have different bolts in that location... but this is GM...

I know the heads are 1/2 in but the lengths im not sure about. The one closest to the firewall is longer than the one at the front for some reason, and make sure you grease those things up, your tower strut too. I use the same grease they use for the heavy equipment and havent had a problem. I put that shit on evurythang!:D

That is interesting... I got my M8x1.25x25 measurement out of my parts book for 1989-1990 Grand Prix.

I have not verified this on my car yet, but it's what the book says.

Where is your measurement from?

I find it hard to believe that different years would have different bolts in that location... but this is GM...

Could be I'm misunderstanding what's actually needed?

I was thinking this was for the brace that goes over the battery. 1 larger bolt in the rear on the strut tower, 2 smaller ones on the core support. Are we talking about something else?

Could be I'm misunderstanding what's actually needed?

I was thinking this was for the brace that goes over the battery. 1 larger bolt in the rear on the strut tower, 2 smaller ones on the core support. Are we talking about something else?

Correct... we are thinking of the same thing, we are just getting conflicting info from the parts catalogs for some reason...

Correct... we are thinking of the same thing, we are just getting conflicting info from the parts catalogs for some reason...

It might vary based on year, I looked up 95 Monte as that's what Rob was looking for since I didn't think you had mentioned which car you were wanting one for. However, I measured the one from my TGP using calipers, and it's exactly 9.91mm thread diameter, 40mm long threads. I didn't double-check the pitch, but those seemed to match the part in the catalog so I assumed that's the correct size even for a 90. Is this for a TGP? I can check again just to see if it says anything different.

Actually my missing one is on a 94 GP... I guess I just assumed that all 1st gens had the same size bolt in that location.

I spend all my free time last night trying to extract the old ruined bolt... so I forgot to check the size of the remaining good bolt... and I also forgot to compare the 94 to the TGP... I will do both of these things tonight.

I absolutely believe you, M10x1.5x40 sounds more believable... I will update this thread tonight with my comparison between the 94 and the 89.

I tried a set of those... the bolt head is way too far gone for those to work.

I drilled a hole in it last night... so tonight I will be using an easy-out with a tap handle. That should make short work of it.

Oddly enough, you're right. For 94 Grand Prix, I'm showing:

11515757 BOLT, HFH, M8X1.25X25, 21.8THD, 18 O.D., 10.9, POR (AC Delco #11515757)

That's what it says for 89 Cutlass and 90 Grand Prix as well. But I'm pretty sure the parts catalog is wrong. It says the 2 front ones are M8X1.25 as well, and those are definitely much smaller than the strut tower one. I think the 95 Monte size is correct for all W's and parts catalog has a mistake.

i really need to acquire calipers/mics... i have a machinist ruler in english/metric to get rough mesurements, but i don't like the idea of rough measurements on a fastener.

Oddly enough, you're right. For 94 Grand Prix, I'm showing:

11515757 BOLT, HFH, M8X1.25X25, 21.8THD, 18 O.D., 10.9, POR (AC Delco #11515757)

That's what it says for 89 Cutlass and 90 Grand Prix as well. But I'm pretty sure the parts catalog is wrong. It says the 2 front ones are M8X1.25 as well, and those are definitely much smaller than the strut tower one. I think the 95 Monte size is correct for all W's and parts catalog has a mistake.

You are correct... the parts catalog absolutely has a mistake.

I checked it against my 89 and my 94 cars... they both use the same bolt and it is the M10x1.5x40 size.

Adam weld that for brace up for ya?

:lol:

:leaving:

dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting burned in a thread and don't find out till 3 years later......I'm gonna knife you in the taint in Toledo. :showoff: