Grand Prix fire kills . . . . (Disturbing, horrible death)

Breakdown

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• GnatGoSplat

• Breakdown

• GPX

Yeah, I agree. Something doesn't add up right. Like the firefighters leaving the car alone... Doesn't someone usually stay with the vehicle until it gets towed. If the woman was able to spot the body from a distance with her high beams on, why wouldn't a firefighter see it? I could understand if they didn't see it at first because the car was engulfed in flames and smoke, but after the flames are put out, how could you not see it up close, if the woman could see it from a distance?

I can see there being an inquest, however, if it is found not to be GM's fault (and by that, I mean that it was nothing defective from the factory) then the cause of the fire should be published. Who knows, maybe there was an aftermarket remote start that was incorrectly installed that started the fire.

As for the locks...If GM's did unlock when the handle was pulled, then you can guarantee that there would be stories published about someones kids playing around in the back seat of a lumina,without seatbelts on, when all of a sudden they pulled the handle and fell out of the car and died. It would be GM's fault at that point for not having the types of locks they do right now.

How exactly would a remote starter cause a car to start fire....especially under the hood....

x1000 on manually unlocking the door.

Well, we have had a remote start unit catch fire from being improperly installed. Granted, that was in the passenger compartment, and not under the hood. I just used that as an example though. I was going to use an improper stereo install as an example, but being that it was on older guy's car, i assumed that it would still be stock.

Only reason i used something like that as an example is that IF the fire was caused by something aftermarket, then there can be absolutely NO blame placed on GM, or the vehicle for that matter.

As for the locks...If GM's did unlock when the handle was pulled, then you can guarantee that there would be stories published about someones kids playing around in the back seat of a lumina,without seatbelts on, when all of a sudden they pulled the handle and fell out of the car and died. It would be GM's fault at that point for not having the types of locks they do right now.

The Ford I used to have that could be opened from inside with the doors locked only did that on the front doors. Rear doors needed to be unlocked to open from inside.

Anyway, yeah, first thing I thought of when reading the article is the manual lock. Even if for some reason it's broken or doesn't work quite right (like the one in my Cutlass), he could have scooted over to the passenger side and used the manual lock on that door.

you might recall that this is the same company that offered a braking system that would not work if it for some reason did not have electrical power...

What car/braking system was that?

The Ford I used to have that could be opened from inside with the doors locked only did that on the front doors. Rear doors needed to be unlocked to open from inside.

ATTENTION ATTENTION!

GM is now using the the pull door handle to unlock feature!!!! The 2010 Camaro is so equipped.

PULL UP THE FUCKING PIN! Jeez... this sucks and all, but no power = unlock it yourself!

I even verified it.

Car running, gear in drive... doors automatically locked. I pulled the pin up to unlock it(manually) and it opened fine. Did it several times.

No shit... even brake the window if you have too.... maybe he didn't want to get out - maybe the family should look in to that

You cannot break the window.

They are stronger than that.

You will break your arm before you break the window unless you have a blunt object to strike the window with.

Sounds like he might have been drunk. For the record the interior locks in my '93 Cutlass (the manual ones) barely worked manually and required a lot of effort, the power locks always worked fine.

FWIW, I saw on TV or somewhere that it's a good idea to keep a spring-loaded punch in your car in case you crash into a lake and the power windows quit working.

That would probably work to get you out of a burning car that by some stroke of really horrible luck, none of your manual locks work.

PULL UP THE FUCKING PIN! Jeez... this sucks and all, but no power = unlock it yourself!

I even verified it.

Car running, gear in drive... doors automatically locked. I pulled the pin up to unlock it(manually) and it opened fine. Did it several times.

No shit... even brake the window if you have too.... maybe he didn't want to get out - maybe the family should look in to that

You cannot break the window.

They are stronger than that.

You will break your arm before you break the window unless you have a blunt object to strike the window with.

Sounds like he might have been drunk. For the record the interior locks in my '93 Cutlass (the manual ones) barely worked manually and required a lot of effort, the power locks always worked fine.

FWIW - I was watching a blooper reel of a reporter here at our station talking about breaking a car window to steal a purse, she was demonstrating on a junkyard van window. WITH A HAMMER, she attempted to break the window not once, not twice, but FOUR TIMES and could not succeed. I'd imagine that breaking it with your fist would shatter bone before it would shatter glass.

Who doesn't have something in their car that will break a window?

Honestly, I don't keep anything loose in my car except a cheap umbrella, a window shade, and only in the winter, a plastic ice scraper. Oh, and also an iPod. I don't think any of that can break a window. I REALLY hate clutter.

Who doesn't have something in their car that will break a window?

Honestly, I don't keep anything loose in my car except a cheap umbrella, a window shade, and only in the winter, a plastic ice scraper. Oh, and also an iPod. I don't think any of that can break a window. I REALLY hate clutter.

Jumper cables and club in the trunk, that's about it for me. Long way back to get those things.

Interestingly enough they did a car simulation on Myth busters and they didn't survive sinking the car into water, by the time the pressure equalizes allowing you to open the door, you die.

If you shatter the window you could get sucked out so quick you could be gashed from head to toe, and bleed to death. Don't drive the car into a lake. If you do, get into the backseat, because the front will fill up with water first and you'll be able to keep air longest at the back and try and get out through the door.

That reminds me of how much a death trap DeLoreans are.

The insurance adjuster who came and looked at the GTO said he used to have a DeLorean, but he sold it because he had a near-death experience in it. The fusebox inside the car decided to start smoking while he was in the car, but luckily there was still power to the door locks. The locks on the DeLoreans can only be operated with the switch, there's no manual lever or anything. Good luck trying to get out of the windows too.

Interestingly enough they did a car simulation on Myth busters and they didn't survive sinking the car into water, by the time the pressure equalizes allowing you to open the door, you die.

Hmmm, I thought I remembered one a few years ago where Adam is sitting in a white Ford Taurus that they sank in a pool, and he was able to survive long enough for it to fill with water and then he just opened the door and got out. Or maybe that was some other show and I have it all messed up in my head?

I still remember reading a news story several years ago about 3 or 4 women in an SUV that crashed into the lake. One of the women was level-headed enough to call for help on a cell phone... but instead of calling 911, she dialed a friend. Needless to say, they all died. Law of natural selection again.

I even verified it.

X2, my dad had a fit when he found out that the doors wont unlock with the car in drive. Mainly because he hates autolock doors, but I quickly showed him that the manual unlock works just fine.

I'm one of those that doesn't have anything in my car that'll break the windows, ice scraper (plastic) in the winter, and iPod at all times. I do have a breaker bar and socket for my lug nuts but I keep that in the trunk and there's no way I'd have access to that with my subs behind my back seats.

maybe the body wasnt in the car when the firefighters put out the fire. maybe the girlfriend or whatever put the body there afterwards as part of a big concpiracy or something hu did we ever think of that huh did we!! LOL use the manual locks i dont care how drunk you are if your able to drive your car that far and pull off the road you can pull up a lock.

idk, my friend has an 05 GP, and I was sittin in it the other day tellin her the story, and I sat there and locked and unlocked the doors manually like 5 times, sayin "How hard is this?!?"... stupid people deserve, wel....

I hate to say this, but I thought it was a badly written article about an idiotically tragic situation. The driver had to have been wasted and all the surviving relatives and the firemen must be morons.

'Nuff said. :leaving:

I hate to say this, but I thought it was a badly written article about an idiotically tragic situation. The driver had to have been wasted and all the surviving relatives and the firemen must be morons.

'Nuff said. :leaving:

QFT~!

ok, what does QFT mean. I can decipher most lingo, but I don't get QFT. I'm 25 and you jerks already make me feel old. I used to be able to build a computer from scratch.. now I'm surprised when I can actually turn it on. What the hell happened?

ok, what does QFT mean. I can decipher most lingo, but I don't get QFT. I'm 25 and you jerks already make me feel old. I used to be able to build a computer from scratch.. now I'm surprised when I can actually turn it on. What the hell happened?

Ha, ha, ha. I'm so old I say that instead of LOL :lol: I had to google it to discover what it means. It means Quantum Field Theory. No, ha, ha, Quoted For Truth. Thanks Buck.