Grand Prix fire kills . . . . (Disturbing, horrible death)

Breakdown

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• GnatGoSplat

• Breakdown

• AL

What? It's terrible yes, but how exactly does not having electrical power impede you from pulling the lock open right there on the door sill? I'm serious, does pulling it up not unlock the door? I can't imagine that GM would make such a grievous, basic mistake in designing that.

I'd also imagine though, that panic would take over.

What? It's terrible yes, but how exactly does not having electrical power impede you from pulling the lock open right there on the door sill? I'm serious, does pulling it up not unlock the door? I can't imagine that GM would make such a grievous, basic mistake in designing that.

you might recall that this is the same company that offered a braking system that would not work if it for some reason did not have electrical power...

I'm not positive of that fact, would like to hear from Buck.

Otherwise doesn't make sense.

well i do not know about the Gp but the impala, malibu, monte carlo, and others around that year had the inside lock at the rear of the doors unlike the older ones right at the handle. And GMs doors will not open when the handle is pulled with the door(s) locked. Why i do not know, i believe every ford and chrysler product uses that technique to where when you pull the handle it unlocks the door. What a terrible way to go, i do believe that situation is very possible

I would think you would be able to manually open the door from the inside, but GM can't get a brake these days (especially if this is true). Gotta feel bad for this guy's family since he died so close to home.

PULL UP THE FUCKING PIN! Jeez... this sucks and all, but no power = unlock it yourself!

I even verified it.

Car running, gear in drive... doors automatically locked. I pulled the pin up to unlock it(manually) and it opened fine. Did it several times.

Darwin FTW... I mean, ya it blows that this happened, but shit, just unlock the door manually....

Indeed! If you take the risk of driving a car, it's your responsibility to know your car and to be prepared!

I can see there being an inquest, however, if it is found not to be GM's fault (and by that, I mean that it was nothing defective from the factory) then the cause of the fire should be published. Who knows, maybe there was an aftermarket remote start that was incorrectly installed that started the fire.

As for the locks...If GM's did unlock when the handle was pulled, then you can guarantee that there would be stories published about someones kids playing around in the back seat of a lumina,without seatbelts on, when all of a sudden they pulled the handle and fell out of the car and died. It would be GM's fault at that point for not having the types of locks they do right now.

Maybe in his state of panic he just didnt think of it, some people get like that when under extreme duress.

My thoughts exactly. Panic does strange things to people.

How often do you manually unlock the doors when you're so accustom to it being done for you automatically?

Tom

strange it was after a party, alcohol may have been a factor. alot of these " strange" deaths seem to be related to drugs or alcohol. now some ambulance chasing attorney will try and sue GM.

I can see there being an inquest, however, if it is found not to be GM's fault (and by that, I mean that it was nothing defective from the factory) then the cause of the fire should be published. Who knows, maybe there was an aftermarket remote start that was incorrectly installed that started the fire.

As for the locks...If GM's did unlock when the handle was pulled, then you can guarantee that there would be stories published about someones kids playing around in the back seat of a lumina,without seatbelts on, when all of a sudden they pulled the handle and fell out of the car and died. It would be GM's fault at that point for not having the types of locks they do right now.

How exactly would a remote starter cause a car to start fire....especially under the hood....

x1000 on manually unlocking the door.

"She then drove over to where he'd been, to see if he was still at the Super Bowl party and he was not there. She drove to his house, expecting to see him there and he was not there, either. She returned to the fire scene and the firemen had departed. She put on her high beams and she could see Bob, slumped through the centre console (inside the car)."

Am I reading this wrong? The fire dept put out the fire, then left the burnt car alone, then at which point she came back, simply turned on her high beams towards the burnt wreck and saw a dead body in the car? That makes absolutely no sense. Maybe they do things differently in Canada?

PULL UP THE FUCKING PIN! Jeez... this sucks and all, but no power = unlock it yourself!

I even verified it.

Car running, gear in drive... doors automatically locked. I pulled the pin up to unlock it(manually) and it opened fine. Did it several times.

No shit... even brake the window if you have too.... maybe he didn't want to get out - maybe the family should look in to that

"She then drove over to where he'd been, to see if he was still at the Super Bowl party and he was not there. She drove to his house, expecting to see him there and he was not there, either. She returned to the fire scene and the firemen had departed. She put on her high beams and she could see Bob, slumped through the centre console (inside the car)."

Am I reading this wrong? The fire dept put out the fire, then left the burnt car alone, then at which point she came back, simply turned on her high beams towards the burnt wreck and saw a dead body in the car? That makes absolutely no sense. Maybe they do things differently in Canada?

In Canada you call 911 and all 3 fire, ambulance and police are required to show up.

Story sounds a bit fishy to me.