• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmoore4294

• Night Fury

• slick

• 88red4cyl

There may be. The car runs absolutely fine. Of course the intake gaskets on my convertible were leaking with the car running ok. I'm gonna head up to auto zone and get a few gallons of antifreeze and bleed the system and see if that helps any. I could use some anyway. The guy who owned it before me kept up on maintenance and what not cause he was himself a mechanic.

Bleed the system like Chris said, and if that doesn't work the next thing I would try and replace is the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor). It's incredibly easy to replace, and it was maybe $15 when I did it. If you still have a problem after that you'll want to check your fans to make sure they turn on as they should. Let us know how it tuns out.

Please don't tell me the only way to bleed the system on the 3100 is from the bleeder screw on top of the water pump, cause the head of that screw just fucking broke off. I went and got 3 gallons of antifreeze to fill it up and bleed it. The fans turn on cause when I got back, they were both running like crazy trying to cool down the car. :lol: If there is another way to bleed the system let me know. Thanks.

Well. Turns out the guy who put the new thermostat in for me was ignorant in the ways of adding COOLANT afterwards. I was short a gallon and a half of coolant. Runs perfect now. Heat and everything. If I had any brains about me I'd drive to his house and kick him square in the nuts. :twisted:

Read two posts back. What I assume to be the only bleeder screw on the 3100, just broke as I tried to open it. If there is another one somewhere besides on top of the water pump, let me know. Thanks.

I don't quite remember, but isn't there a bleeder screw on the passenger side of the engine, right above the valve cover? Or am I thinking of something else?

Or, worst case scenario, let the car cool back down, take the radiator cap off, start it up and warm it back up, heater on full blast, and look for air bubbles. Slightly squeeze the upper radiator hose to force air to the cap.

Read two posts back. What I assume to be the only bleeder screw on the 3100, just broke as I tried to open it. If there is another one somewhere besides on top of the water pump, let me know. Thanks.

Yes, there should be one on the thermostat housing itself. I've never bled the cooling system on a 3100, so i'm not sure if there is a specific order you need to follow to bleed it.

Yes there is one on the driver side near the motor mount and valve cover, and also one on the passenger side. But if the screw breaks off just loosen the brass section that the screw screws into, and bleed it from that or replace it

Ok. I found the one on the thermostat housing and bled it from there. Added more coolant, let it heat up bled it again to be sure and topped it off. Everything is working as it should now. I'm still a bit heated over the fact that the cause of this was so simple yet it didn't get done. Of course I should've known better to check it once I got it back.

Glad you got it figured out despite breaking the bleeding screw. Just remember when you open up a system like your brakes, or cooling you ALWAYS SHOULD BLEED the system when you're done.

Welp. This is it. Car finally blew the head gasket. I was coming home from work, and halfway it was running like shit and overheating. So I barely made it the mile and a half home, let it sit for a while. Went out and put a gallon of antifreeze back into the radiator, then checked my oil, and loe and behold, IT WAS MILKY!!

Welp. This is it. Car finally blew the head gasket. I was coming home from work, and halfway it was running like shit and overheating. So I barely made it the mile and a half home, let it sit for a while. Went out and put a gallon of antifreeze back into the radiator, then checked my oil, and loe and behold, IT WAS MILKY!!

May be the intake gaskets instead of the head gaskets... But if the car overheated, the head gaskets are probably shot now anyway...

Yeah, it overheated. And I drove it for a good mile or so stuttering and sputtering to get it home, only to find out that I was also driving that mile with antifreeze in the oil. Won't even turn over now. It froze up.