*UPDATE* WORTHLESS CAR!!!

jmoore4294

Ok, so I haven't had the car for long, and apparently this is the only thing that the previous owner did not replace, and that is the thermostat. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. It wasn't hard on my LQ1. Now I have the 3100. What am I looking at here in terms of difficulty? Should I take it to the shop, or can I do it in a day with basic hand tools?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmoore4294

• Night Fury

• slick

• 88red4cyl

basic tools can do the job. however, the throttle body needs to be separated from the plenum, or the plenum must be lifted for access. also, with the 3100 (and any sideways stat) i drill i tiny hole to prevent airlock at the t-stat.

So it is possible to replace it without pulling the TB? I know the air cleaner assembly will have to come off, that is no big deal. Since you didn't pull the tb, was it difficult?

Chris is right, it is possible without taking the tb off... When I changed mine last winter, I only took off the air cleaner box... It really sucked, but probably took less time than taking off and reinstalling the tb...

Would have been much easier pulling it, especially if you have big hands.

Then I may be in trouble. I'm trying to get this done with as little money as possible since I don't have much to throw around, and I kinda need a car to get me to work and back.

Stants come with a tiny hole... Mine did anyways...

if yours has a hole, no drill hole needed.

Nah. If I can do it, you can!! :lol:

but you also lost a bolt! <3

Not too hard. if you pull the throttle body, expect to need a $10 gasket *or make your own from a $2 piece of gasket board material*

Well. I ended up letting a friends dad do it. I didn't even think to ask her, but we were talking, and I mentioned it, and she asked her dad and he said he'd do it for $30 if I went and got the thermostat. Not too bad, and at least he knows what he's doing. He used to be a mechanic, not exactly sure what he does now though.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. So I'm still having overheating problems. It was ok for about a week and a half after the thermostat was replaced. Now it's back to doing the same shit. It gets hot, like pegs the gauge kinda hot, then rapidly cools back down then gets hot the rapidly cools back down. Would a water pump be causing this? I'm sure I need a new one. I do have a coolant leak somewhere. What about air in the system? I have no heat. Even with coolant flowing. Plugged heater core? But the heat was working without a problem until I had problems with it overheating.