intercooler upgrade

Marcus18

I was thinking instead of putting a front mount intercooler(which think about the pain of trying to get the piping up front) why not take the old cooler and weld a sheet of aluminum on both sides and put water jackets in them. then put a small radiator up front and a electric water pump.

pros: the best type of intercooler. easy to route around front. already have the stock cooler.

cons:electric pump takes some power. added weight.

any thoughts?

I was thinking if I put a t3/t4 on it that it might be the way to go.

marcus

what are the intercoolers made out of? if they are made out of steel you cant weld aluminum to it, but if they are made out of aluminum the welding is possible, i say you should try it, but if you are worried about your weigh, compensate! take out the back speakers and the carpeting in the trunk and the spare tire and jack and everything, but personally, i would leave the spare tire and jack. but just ditch weight from other places, like the carpeting in the trunk and the rear speakers and everything that you dont need

If it were me, I'd upgrade to a thicker Spearco that fits in place of the stocker. :wink: That's what I'm doing when I put my T3 Hybrid on. It should work fine for anything that you (or even I) will be doing with the car...unless you do a lot of long distance road races :shock: :shock: I've never been a fan of front mounts....especially since it's become a standard ricer item. :roll: I don't really have an opinion on your idea either..since I don't understand it :oops:

If i were in your spot I would get a true water-air IC that fits in the stock spot.

Overall, the air-air IC is more efficient, the air-water lagging behind slightly, after all it is a air-water-air IC. The good thing about an air-water is that for track use you can put ice into the system which is where the the air-water IC pulls ahead.

Guest TurboSedan

i'd like to get a custom front mount IC, remove all A/C (more room & less weight :) ), and then my TGP radiator. then i'll have a 'window' where the stock TGP intercooler was for the plumbing. i probaby won't do this until i get a bigger turbo and custom crossover made up for it.

joshua

I had the same idea of removing the a/c to free up room in fornt for my front mount. With the a/c condensor out of the way, it leaves a lot of space for piping.

Do you know if any 3.1's had a/c delete options?

It's made of aluminum. I could put a hatch on it to empty a bag of ice in it.

that would be some freaky cold air. If I went with a front mount I would find a a/c condenser that was just as wide as the radiator then there would be space for piping. I was just thinking it would be cheaper to make it a air-water than to buy one(if you have the tools and know how to use them)

40 bucks for a radiator(used)

30 bucks for aluminum(just a guess, I can get it for free)

100 electric or pully driven water pump (just a quess)

40 for hoses

time

time

$210

with ability to add ice in line

all kits probably start at 300 or more

marcus

Guest TurboSedan

good luck finding a used TGP radiator for $40, but if you are talking about a regular (wider) radiator from a DOHC W-body car (best choice for OEM fit but still not as good as a TGP radiator) than $40 sounds about right. i'll be selling my TGP radiator on ebay soon.

joshua

not a tgp radiator. just any radiator that fits in the spot I want it to fit.

don't care what car in comes off of. the junk yard out here charges a flat rate for all radiators.

marcus