Gen. 1 W-Body Chassis vs. Gen. 2 W-Body Chassis

dbtk2

What is the difference between the Generation 1 chassis and the Generation 2? Are all of the aftermarket Gen. 2 sway bars, trailing arms, strut tower braces, etc.... compatible with the Gen. 1 or not? If not, are Gen. 1 sway bars, trailing arms, STB's, etc... available for the Gen 1.

i thought the Police package Impala front swaybar fit the firstgen W-Bodys. Or at least that's what I heard.

Yeah, thats that GMPD strut bar everyone is getting.

Dbtk2, Addco makes a 7/8in rear sway bar. The biggest front sway bar there is (to my knowledge) is the FE3 34mm bar. You can make a rear strut bar, I did, its pretty easy.

Robby

No, the sway bars don't fit gen 1 W-bodies.

The police package sway bar you heard about is probably the LUMINA police package bar, same as the one used on all 3.4 DOHC W-bodies (and also all B4U Grand Prix's).

The GMPD strut bar only fits because it's a simple bar with 2 holes on either end. All the aftermarket gen 2 bolt-on strut bars do NOT fit.

No, the sway bars don't fit gen 1 W-bodies.

The police package sway bar you heard about is probably the LUMINA police package bar, same as the one used on all 3.4 DOHC W-bodies (and also all B4U Grand Prix's).

The GMPD strut bar only fits because it's a simple bar with 2 holes on either end. All the aftermarket gen 2 bolt-on strut bars do NOT fit.

Oh, I meant strut bars and I bet 90TGP meant the same thing

Robby

wasn't there something about TGP front sways being smaller than the 91+ FE3 cars front sways? something like 30 or 31mm compared to 34??? I guess I'll measure my cousins 34 mm GTP bar that's still sitting in my garage and the one on the TGP if I get a chance to sometime to rule that out for good.

I don't know if he is on the boards or not, but Joe Grenda recently did this mod and he stated the 34mm upgrade is not worth it. The difference in handling is negligible with stock rubber bushings. However, upgrading to urethane bushings did make a difference.

So go bar hunting if you wish. However, as I understand it, the 34mm bar is difficult to fit with urethane bushings and won't provide much improvement.

I don't know if he is on the boards or not, but Joe Grenda recently did this mod and he stated the 34mm upgrade is not worth it. The difference in handling is negligible with stock rubber bushings. However, upgrading to urethane bushings did make a difference.

So go bar hunting if you wish. However, as I understand it, the 34mm bar is difficult to fit with urethane bushings and won't provide much improvement.

When I had my subrame replaced, I was able to get one with the 34mm bar (I had stock FE1 bar). I already had my front STB at the time, and the 34mm bar (with rubber bushings) made almost zero improvement. Now, my front and rear STBs combined did tons for the car

Robby