No way.. seriously? Is this the end of 4T65E #3?!

digitaloutsider

Okay, backstory: for the last month or so, the car has been acting quirky, but I've just chalked it up to a bad PCM tune and the back that it's a hobbled together mess of a car. Basically, every time I hit about 35-40 MPH or so, the TC would engage and the car had a slight shake and increase in RPMs, but again, I attributed this all to a bad tune.

Tonight I figure I'll go out and actually retune the car with a basic DHP 1.5 bin file and see where that got me. Dump the file and try to start the car.. nothing. Security light. No crank, PKII is stopping the pump. Okaaay.. makes no sense, but no big deal. I'll just go in HPTuners and repogram the VIN, VATS, etc. Reprogram was successful. Try to start the car again. Nothing. What the hell?

Pull the battery for 30 minutes or so. Connect it and attempt to start the car. Nothing. Go into HPTuners, change the VATS signal to PWM and delete the related DTCs. Car starts, but we've got a security light. Again, makes no sense, but whatever. I go out to take the car for a drive. It started out driving fine, but the second the TQ engaged, it was a noticeable "bang". During decel, the car shudders violently. I figure the PCM must be toast.

Drive 30 minutes out to BFE to pick up my spare PCM. Plug it in, reprogram. Hey! Starts right up! No security light, nothing! Pull it out of the driveway and start gradually going down the street. The moment the TC engages.. BANG. Same thing. Same shudder, but on the way home the pump starts whining something fierce.

So... sounds like I've somehow successfully killed 4T65E-HD #3 in my car unless you guys have any ideas. Please say you do?

Yeah, I was thinking possibly the torque converter clutch solenoid, but it doesn't explain the horrendous pump whine.

True forgot about that. My transmission is noisy, I believe it a 4T60E it sounds at times like a power steering pump kinda. But it's on the wrong side of the motor for that and you can here it with the hood popped it's not loud but the TC or sumthin is loud in my monte. Note it has about 133xxx on it and the trans hasn't been touched since the assembly line.

x2, with the way it shudders, I would say torque convertor as well.

Does it even lock up, or not? And, if it locks up, and you accelerate slowly enough to keep it locked up while accelerating, do you have any shuddering?

That sucks that the original tranny lasted so long, and then the other two have failed so quickly.

When the torque coverter got bolted up to the flexplate did you use the correct length of bolts? At school the other group put together a Dodge drivetrain and put bolts that were a few mm too long and they distorted the inside of the torque coverter where the clutch mates up. It burned out the torque coverter clutch in a few thousand miles.

After a good bit of research and some driving it, we have come to the conclusion that the TQ clutch solenoid is bad, and once it engages the TQ it does NOT want to disengage.

i'm sure shaun will chime in with more specifics.

I flashed to DHP's 1.5 bin file, which always ran great on the car before. Tried flashing back to my stock HPTuners file, which still isn't better.

It's finally throwing the DTC for TCC solenoid stuck on.

Yeah, fuck it. That's it. The tranny is toast.

Went out to try and drive it up to the gas station for a soda and to see if letting it sit had any effect on it. Nope. Put it into reverse. BANG. Put it into drive and we have no forward gears. Backed it up into the driveway and that's where she'll sit. End of 4T65E #3 and likely the end of this piece of shit car.