Rare GM cars

GPdriver1986

supreme_style21: OMG!!! I would gladly have shot somebody for that thing!!! Was it the dark garnett red, or the dark saphire blue (only 2 colors they came in)? And $1,500?? That's crazy! I bought my first one for $1,700 which had some cancer (rust :cry: ) eating up the doors as most GMs of that era are prone to (especially A-bodies :x ). But I didn't care. I had to have one for the joy of saying I owned one, regardless of condition.

There was a red one on eBay a few months back. Only 40K miles :shock: :shock: I did a KBB check on it and it was only coming up as $3,500 retail. The guy was going around to various forums linking the auction. It bid up to $3k within the first few days, but then stayed there for the last few. I did some research on one of the guys placing a lot of bids on it. Turns out it's some guy named Gary Vass who owns Vass BMW (motorcycles) in St. Louis. He also purchased an '86 6000 STE stretched limo (no, that's not a type-o) one town over from me. It's the only one ever made, built by Hess & Eisenhert (sp?) I met the owners and they let me take some pictures. Young family with one cute kid. They wanted something a bit more practical.

In any event, I knew I was screwed if this guy wanted this car because he's LOADED. He has a TON of cars. Judgement day arrived. I waited till about 15 seconds left to hit enter on my $5,200 proxy bid. I figured that should cover things since it was WAY over what it was worth. I was winning at $3,650!! Hit refresh, still winning with 7 sec. left. Hit refresh with 2 seconds left, "you've been out bid by VassBMW". :shock: He must have put one massive proxy in, because he out-bid me with just one bid. Needless to say, I was crushed for quite some time after that one.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GPdriver1986

• supreme_style21

• PJB

• slick

are sunbirds 2.0L turbo or turbo convertibles rare? I was also reading on j-body.org that in 1995 (I believe) GM made a few sunfires with burgandy cloth or interior.

Here is the exact quote from j-body

Rare models

In 1996, 95,783 Sunfires were made (66,000 coupe and 29,783 sedan). Of those only 263 were made with the GT trim with red interior...I have one (black/red) this was only done for the 1995 and 1996 model years.

So as you can see only 0.27% of the total 95,783 Sunfires made in 1996 were GT trim with red interior...I would consider that rare.

The only thing rarer is the aqua/sea foam green interior that I have only seen in a picture once but I also confirmed with the workers at Lordstown that this car did exist....not sure how many were actually built.

There also a white vinyl interior on some of the third gen convertibles, Sunfire only.

I didn't realize those AWD STE's were that rare. Back home, last year, there was a CLEAN '89 AWD STE 6000 for sale.. only had around 88,000. Tag in the window was around $1,500. And damn, did I mention it was clean? Looked like she just rolled of the line.

i remember seeing an AWD 6000 in the forks last summer. it was in sad shape but it was cool saying i saw one.

it sat in the lot next to radioactive when it was on washington.

i thought i could come up with a rare find but i have been unable to.

Monty

The only thing rarer is the aqua/sea foam green interior that I have only seen in a picture once but I also confirmed with the workers at Lordstown that this car did exist....not sure how many were actually built.

I saw a white 4 door Sunfire at the car auction a few months ago with that color interior. I think it was a '96. Id never seen one like that before. It had bluw decals and emblems on it too.

Its was the Electra that was a T-type, also there was a Somerset T-Type, Skyhawk T-Type, Century T-Type :)

Those all had T-Type versions, but so did the LeSabre from '87-'89 (my lil' sister got one as her first car a couple years ago and still has it). A little over 5,000 made for each of those years and only available in maroon, white, silver, and black (which looks very GNish :D ). In '87, it came with the "Grand National" seats, only being called that because they were 2-tone black and gray like the GNs. The Century GS actually DID have GN seats along with GN badgings. I've only seen one in person and a friend in VA owns one. I came VERY close to buying the one I saw. It had 88K on it, but the bastard wouldn't hold it for $700 till I could withdraw the money (had reached the maximum from the ATM) the next morning. Of course, that same evening a kid came buy with his dad and bought it :x :x

Hyeboy... It was that garnett red. I stopped and looked at it.. Couldn't believe how clean it was. I guess if I would have known it was that rare, I probably would have put forth a little more effort and bought it.

You've got pictures of a 6000 STE limo? Lets see them!

I didn't realize those AWD STE's were that rare. Back home, last year, there was a CLEAN '89 AWD STE 6000 for sale.. only had around 88,000. Tag in the window was around $1,500. And damn, did I mention it was clean? Looked like she just rolled of the line.

i remember seeing an AWD 6000 in the forks last summer. it was in sad shape but it was cool saying i saw one.

it sat in the lot next to radioactive when it was on washington.

i thought i could come up with a rare find but i have been unable to.

Monty

Yeah this one was in Alexandria last year. The only shape I ever see them in is sad.. sad shape. Rust definately takes it's toll up here on those older cars.

1988 Fiero Formula - 5,280 made (I only mention cause I have 1)

Fiero IMSA

1989-1990 TGP's

AWD- Pontiac 6000 - Very rare

1987 Buick Grand National

Aerovette

ANY Indy Series car I.E. ?? Beretta , 88 Cutlass Supreme , 84 Fiero.

Buick Wildcat II

V8 (305) Lumina

AWD Beretta

V8 Beretta

GMC Cyclone / Typhoon

Reatta's I really liked!!!!

Whatabout that Caddy with the factory optioned Infered HUD?

1987 Corvette Indy Concept

1978 Silver aniversery addition Corvette

It's Not a factory GM but the Olds Aerotech started out as one of Bob Norwoods creations. The Norwood A-12 was the first Aerotech. It had a 1200 hp DOHC V12 with 3 spark plugs and a throttle body/per cyl. It weighed 2700 lbs , and had a carbon fiber body. It was advertised as having a 0-60 time in the 3 second club, and topped out @ 300+ MPH.

Can you imagine when most of us are going to be in our 40's or 50's (Well at least me because I'm 17 but most are in the 20's) these cars are going to be in car shows and most of us are going to show our children the cars that we used to drive.

Can you imagine when most of us are going to be in our 40's or 50's (Well at least me because I'm 17 but most are in the 20's) these cars are going to be in car shows and most of us are going to show our children the cars that we used to drive.

:lol: Dad.. don't drop us off at school in THAT car! Everyone else has normal cars! I'm walking!

:lol: Dad.. don't drop us off at school in THAT car! Everyone else has normal cars! I'm walking!

rollin

Monty