Questions about new carpet for a Wbody. Update on pg. 4 (1/19/09)

blackbombshell95

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blackbombshell95

• 5speedz34

• slick

• Andrew

Dunno why holes would have to be added in a JY carpet, although there must have been something different about it :dunno:

BWT, the link was really just to show the tool, not to describe its pupose... just too lazy to actually attach the image :lol:

I got a question on my headliner removal. I have a dinky light in the center middle of my ceiling. After removing that what else is needed to pull the headliner? I want to cover it in black suede.

I take it that the headliner is adheared on?

Just redid my headliner last week, havent had a chance to post pics, but i did it in some sweet paid wool fabric.

This is all on my lumina:

The center light is actually held on with things that resemble push nuts, only the post is smooth. Youre gonna have to get in there and deform the push nut so it will slide off the post. Make sure you interior electronics fuse before doing this (this is my most blown fuse in my car). You will be able to get them back into shape by flattening them back out. Leave this till last, so it will hold up the rest of the headliner while you dissassemble everything

You gotta pull the shroud off the rear window brake light thats 1 or 2 screws.

2 plastic push rivets on either side of the brake light, just pull em out.

remove the b pillar plastic before anything else around the doors. open a door and get under that edge and pull it out, there is a black plastic thing holding it in on the bottom, you might be able to push down and unhook it, i just pulled straight out. I dont think youd be able to fit it back in anyway.

unscrew the hooks in the rear and also get the screw that has a cover on the c pillar. The last thing holding this piece on is a plastic tab that just pushes in to a metal grabber bracket. Just pull it out perpendicular to the tab (you might be able to see it since you already pulled off the b-pillar cover)

open the front doors and get the a pillar covers. same tab as the c-pillar covers. I dont remember if this was the only thing holding this one on.

Sun visors and clips, unscrew em. Once everything is out it should just fall off the roof

WATCH OUT for your rear view mirror. I knocked it off doing this.

You might have an easier time getting your headliner out since you have a coupe and bigger door openings. I actually had to bend it in the middle. to get it out my rear door. The material is like a foamy thing with resin & not quite fiberglass on the top and bottom reinforcing it.

GOOD LUCK with getting the foam off. I spent the most time on this step than any other. I had success getting the foam off in mostly a single piece with a mortar tool sliding between the foam and actual headliner. I finished everything up with a dremel and brass wire wheel to get the remaining bits of foam off.

use a really good spray adhesive on BOTH parts. (Fabric and headliner)

Corey, once you get the carpet in and everything, I'd like to know how the ACC brand stuff went. I'm in need of new carpet for my TGP.

Also, just a heads up, they say to unroll the carpet, and let it sit out unrolled for a while. Better yet, when your installing, use a blowdryer to help stretch it out a bit.

Corey, once you get the carpet in and everything, I'd like to know how the ACC brand stuff went. I'm in need of new carpet for my TGP.

Also, just a heads up, they say to unroll the carpet, and let it sit out unrolled for a while. Better yet, when your installing, use a blowdryer to help stretch it out a bit.

Ty for the heads up. My understanding is that the carpet can be a bit too big so trimming is involved..... and you think it might need a blowdryer to stretch it out? I'll let you know how this one goes. They list 4dr and 2dr as the same carpet mold for a 95 grand prix. Should be interesting.

What i'm really worried about is the holes I need to cut to make room for the seats and shift linkage. I would be pissed if I messed that up.

Just measure and use your old carpet as a template and you should be fine. Also make sure you transfer the factory insulating carpet that is glued underneath the molded stuff over. Or dynomat it.

• 1 month later...

Update. I got the new carpet in a few weeks ago. I don't like the fact that the carpet is less than half the weight of the factory carpet. Plus the time it would take to cut the holes out, I don't have patience for that.

Here is what I did, I gutted my whole interior. Took the factory carpet to a detail shop for shampooing. I got it home and let it dry for 3 days. And I applied my first 3 coats of Sem Satin Black paint. And it turned out great.

Thanks for the suggestions and for looking. :high5:

note: The forum is only showing half of the pictures so i'm including links above the photos for a more full view.

Here is my gutted interior

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/blackbombshell95/IMGP2396.jpg

IMGP2396.jpg

Factory carpet on the ground.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/blackbombshell95/IMGP2398.jpg

IMGP2398.jpg

A picture of the thin aftermarket carpet rolled up which I will be selling cheap.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/blackbombshell95/IMGP2399.jpg

IMGP2399.jpg

I did remove my headliner/visors and paint them black. The photos don't do justice, the headliner is a deep black.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/blackbombshell95/IMGP2407.jpgIMGP2407.jpg

One last before picture of the old carpet

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/blackbombshell95/IMGP2394.jpg

IMGP2394.jpg

This is the almost final result. This photo is after the shampooing and first 3 coats of paint. After a couple more days the carpet will get 3 more coats. With cans of SEM retailing for $15, takes me 1 1/2 cans for 3 coats. So $45 to paint the carpet in just materials.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/blackbombshell95/IMGP2425.jpg

IMGP2425.jpg

I was wondering how well that paint would work, I know its what GM uses for interior paint. Yours turned out great!!

Thanks.

For the folks who have used Sem products understand its quality. Body shops use this type of paint if they refinish interior trim pieces. The paint is flexible and is a permanent bond to material that you are painting. Most custom car shops use SEM. And thats how I learned about it. I buy it online because its cheapest. But its also available locally at autobody paint stores.