LQ1 Alternator Installation & Brace needed? (was: Alternator Bolt)

spiderw31

The back bolt attaches to a bracket and is just a brace. The FSM states this.

Let's see the rack, frame and pretty much everything else is in the way back there. I ended up unbolted the brace and taking it out with the brace attached. I would reattach it just don't overtorque it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• slick

• spiderw31

• GOT2B GM

I never put that bolt back on when i did the alt on my cutlass. I remember using about 2 feet worth of extension and a swivel socket to get that bastard out from underneith. Wasn't too difficult once i figured out how to attack it.

I dread my alternator failing. I don't look forward to having to do that job at all...

That is exactly why I'm doing mine now while it is an easy task, in spite of the fact that it has not quit yet.

I dread my alternator failing. I don't look forward to having to do that job at all...

That is exactly why I'm doing mine now while it is an easy task, in spite of the fact that it has not quit yet.

You're asking for trouble there. :lol: What if you get a factory dud??

You're asking for trouble there. :lol: What if you get a factory dud??

Yeah, thats always possible, but its not like the one that was on there was perfect either though. The voltage seemed to drop without all that much load on it, and the bearings were starting to whine a bit.

You need to pull the axle.

With the cradle lowered you CANNOT get the Alt. back in. Maybe the 91-93 alt. Maybe if you lower the both rear cradle mounts and the passenger side you could clear the frame. YOU NEED TO PULL THE AXLE.

Just follow slicks how to thread on LQ1 alt replacement. It is FTW.

Oh I'm sure it is, but when I've already got the top end out of the way for other reasons, pulling the alt in 10 minutes from the top is definitely FTW!

Congrats.

I'm telling you it won't fit. You told me you spent a few hours finding out how to shoe horn it in there. I'd rather pull the axle and be done with it. After I torn the boot on my inner tie rod I pulled the axle.

PS-Dinunzio has the 91-93 size alt too.

Yep, I had no issue pulling mine out with the axle in.

You had a 94+ alt in your car.

You need to pull the axle.

With the cradle lowered you CANNOT get the Alt. back in. Maybe the 91-93 alt. Maybe if you lower the both rear cradle mounts and the passenger side you could clean the frame. YOU NEED TO PULL THE AXLE.

I really don't get what your saying here. According to your posts, your saying it's not possible with the 94+, however my car had a 95 swapped engine into it, and I had no issues.

The very first time was a learning experience on how to take it in and out, with just dropping the cradle. Afterwards, it was cake walk.

91-93, no issues. I had a 95 engine, which is obviously different, in my 93, and never had to pull an axle.

Slick why are you being a dick? We talked on the phone about this.

I'm telling you on the 94+ style alternators you need to pull the axle. Simple as that. The cradle doesn't lower enough to give you the space you need.

Everyone's car in this thread has the smaller style alternator.

Larger.

What I dislike is the fact that the FAQ is locked and I can't comment at all on it.

EDIT: The cases are different between the 91-93 ALT's and the 94+ Alt. The 94+ is bigger. It will not clear that's what I'm saying.

Chris, did you have a 94+ alt in your car or the 91-93 alt in your car?

Yes, I had 94+ alternator's on my vehicle, and I had 91-93 alternators on my vehicle. In fact, I distinctly remember swapping plugs at one point because I switched from the one style to the other. Both came out EXACTLY the same.

Also, I want to know what is so different between a 93 and a 94 car that the cradle doesn't drop enough??

Slick why are you being a dick? We talked on the phone about this.

I'm telling you on the 94+ style alternators you need to pull the axle. Simple as that. The cradle doesn't lower enough to give you the space you need.

Everyone's car in this thread has the smaller style alternator.

About 3 months ago.

And I told you, the first time I did it, I had to figure it out. Afterwards, I could get it in and out no problems. You have to rotate the alternator in the hole before it will come out. Once you have it rotated, it will slide out with plenty of room to play. I've told you this several times.