Paint Idea

91LuminaEuro

Im getting very tired of my car looking like shit with the sun faded paint on the hood, roof and trunk. However i do not have the $$$ to fund a full re-paint. Also for the most part the fenders, quarters and doors arent in horrible shape. Its just the top half of the car. I have already started blacking out parts of my car, grille, all trim, wheels. I also replaced the factory rd pin stripe with a black one.

My idea was to paint the top half of the car black, from the pinstripe up. Following the line of the stripe the whole way down the car. I did a quick photoshop to get an idea of what it would look like, dont mind the shitty job its just for a quick idea. Also, i do not have a current picture since the wheels were re-finished so i photoshopped those. They turned out great, i sanded them down to the bare metal and used wheel paint and clear on them.

Let me know what you think.

n35104578_32343184_6297.jpg

Hey nice stock color!!! (NOT, I dont like my color)

That picture pretty much what my car looks like now, but with 2 more doors, bronze x-laces, and much more patchy paint. I dunno, I think you could do better than that. I think the step up by trunk isnt siting well with me.

What might look better is like a silver dividing stripe that thickens right where you have the step up.

or rattle can the whole thing. Thats my plan for this spring.

I thought about rattle canning the whole thing but it would irk me because the door jams wouldnt match, and to make them match would be too much time and money and basically a huge pain in the ass.

The step up in the back is how the original pinstripe goes, and i was trying to stay with it, but i kind of think the silver thing you mentioned might look kinda cool. I'll photoshop that and see how it looks, thanks for the input!

And yea, i dont understand why our cars fade so much, ive seen many other colored W bodies and their paint doesnt go to hell nearly as quick as ours, is this a defect in the paint? Or just poorl maintained vehicles? And i know part of my car's issue was that it was a florida car all the way until 2000 or so.

I definately don't want white, maybe a silver...i'll work on seeing how that would look. although yout original silver stripe in the back looked pretty sweet, so if i decide to go black i'll use your idea for that. thanks!

I agree that with normal convention you would want the dark color on the bottom, however the whole point is painting the top because its the part of the car that needs the paint. So i'll have to come up with a few more ideas on paint colors and see how they look.

I think if I was to piss can it I would just scuff it and hit it with duplicolor base/clear black. but I would do the whole thing black and get the door jambs too. It would not be too bad to pull the trim/seals/panels.

Of course it all depends on how much you love that car because it will look like hell in a few years. thing is it will still look better than if that faded paint flakes off.

Yeah, im debating now because i was told i can get ahold of a paint gun and a small car port to turn into a paint booth... so i may do the whole car..... or maybe just the roof.... i dono

Anybody have experience painting a whole car on their own with a paint sprayer? (an air one an actual automotive sprayer)

Let me know what you guys think...

cool, ill check it out!

Im lookin at using Duplicolors ready to use line of paints. No mixing they sell everythgin ineed primer, paint and clear and its suppose to be quick, easy and fairly nice looking!

So my next question is anybody have any experience with that product?

Im looking into Duplicolor's deep blue color...maybe adding metal flake. Changed my idea, im not so sur eon the pinstripe and grille and junk.

SO here is my questions.

Nice blue car.What color do i paint the:

-Rear Spoiler

-Grille

-Pinstripe

-Add a racing stripe of some sort?

Or do i leave them all body color?

I hope this all pulls through im kind of excited to make this happen.

Do it all the same color, there should be no question about it.

Don't be shy about painting it yourself. I used the rattle cans on my hood and grille almost three years ago and it still looks great. I was even able to wet sand it with no problems. Here is a picture I just took last week.

SANY0811.jpg

That hood and grille look great!! About how many cans did it take for the hood? I have an extra Lumina hood that I need to paint.

A "buddy" was doing it for free and never finished it. Looks like I got what I paid for.

Yeah, that hood sure does look fantastic!

If im panting the car at all, im going to use a spray gun, (im semi-new in the fact that i dont post often because im busy however my dad is a mechanic, and i help out at his shop when i can) He used to do body work some 20 years ago but stopped but he still has a few different spray guns and they still work. So im gonna go with something duplicolor to spray the car.

However your hood and grille look awesome for a rattle can job!!

Im still un-sure, i may leave the grille and rear spoiler black and (if i can get a z-34 hood) paint the louvers black. The side trim, the black rubber piece thats in the bumpers and on the sides, i painted it solid black because i hated that red stripe. New Question:

-Remove it from the sides of the car and paint it body color on the bumpers

-Leave it all there and paint it all body color

-Try to remove it all?

LMK what you think!

how about something like this

5.jpg

Craigs Z34 is hawt!! I see it about everytime im down in Mansfield going to my parents house..

And for the record, he still does have it, last time a pic of his was brought up, we didnt know if he so9ld it or not