• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kwk39018

• tdvs

• slick

• GOT2B GM

HID conversions are illegal, and strickly enforced in Europe, but they are made in Germany.............strange :willynilly: Also have more confidence in the quality of something made in Germany than in say....China.

99.99999998% of the "retrofit" kits are made in China and they're all the same kit with a fake sticker on them (i.e. Bosch, Philips, etc.)

HID conversions are illegal, and strickly enforced in Europe, but they are made in Germany.............strange :willynilly: Also have more confidence in the quality of something made in Germany than in say....China.

99.99999998% of the "retrofit" kits are made in China and they're all the same kit with a fake sticker on them (i.e. Bosch, Philips, etc.)

As I mentioned in the last thread about this, I must really be missing something.

My girlfriend, my sister, my regal, and my Bonneville have an HID kit, and I've got my second set in the mail for the Bonneville's fog lights. When I place one stock bulb on one side and an HID bulb on the next side, the HID light by far surpasses the light output and visibility of the standard halogen bulb. The difference is unbelievable.

As far as them being illegal, I see hundreds of people with them each week, and have never been pulled over for them, nor has my sister or girlfriend.

At $60 shipped for an HID kit, I'm really not sure how they're not worth the additional visibility. I adjusted my head lights so that I don't blind people as well, and luckily my fogs in the Bonneville are projectors that can be adjusted to light up below a certain angle so those don't blind people anyway.

You may be able to adjust them down, however, with the added light output at the not accounted for angle's on the stock bulbs, you still get some scattering effect from them. The light output on these "HID" kits is, true more intense, but not in the stock form. A true HID is designed to fit behind a well designed projector, that has sharpt cut-off lines to direct the light.

[me=digitaloutsider]sighs at another uninformed HID thread.[/me]

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Thank god.

And, I used to work for a lighting company, one of the best in the business. You never have optics on the lenses with true HID/Xenon lamps. The optics are built into the projector themselves. The optics on the lense will scatter the light, all over the place. I can 100% guarantee you that if you would take them to any testing lab, like the one I worked at, and tested them to pass SAE or FMVSS standards, you would fail miserably.

Exactly.

I can't even count how many retards I've encountered on the highway that have thrown in off-the-shelf HID kits and I'd LOVE to turn around and beat the piss out of them when I pass them on the highway. From their perspective, sure the road is probably lit up well and you can see things just fine, but in the eyes of other drivers, its blinding, dangerous, and enraging. They seem to think they're the only one that counts.

Thank god.

And, I used to work for a lighting company, one of the best in the business. You never have optics on the lenses with true HID/Xenon lamps. The optics are built into the projector themselves. The optics on the lense will scatter the light, all over the place. I can 100% guarantee you that if you would take them to any testing lab, like the one I worked at, and tested them to pass SAE or FMVSS standards, you would fail miserably.

Exactly.

I can't even count how many retards I've encountered on the highway that have thrown in off-the-shelf HID kits and I'd LOVE to turn around and beat the piss out of them when I pass them on the highway. From their perspective, sure the road is probably lit up well and you can see things just fine, but in the eyes of other drivers, its blinding, dangerous, and enraging. They seem to think they're the only one that counts.

Stock hids do it to.So then every one should get rid of there hids?

When people come at me with those things on I just turn my brights on. Whether those lights are in your low or high beam socket, they're brighter than my high beams. :mad:

I think that's the idea, though if they're properly set up they shouldn't be blinding you. I painted the bottom of my reflectors flat black on the regal so that they don't reflect light up into peoples' eyes on the road, and now there's a very distinct line across the light beam where light doesn't shine as much. I know people just like you who would flash me a high beam each time I drove around, but that stopped after I adjusted them properly and did that painting.

Thank god.

Exactly.

Stock hids do it to.So then every one should get rid of there hids?

No they don't.

I disagree, I was driving through Indian Hill the other night (land of the rich near Cincy, Bush comes here for dinner) and I passed numerous Caddies and BMWs that blinded me with their HID's it was not very pleasant. I can remember back when we 1st got our 2006 DTS at the funeral home everyone flashed us for having our brights on when we had low beams

Since I put the HID's in the bonneville, (6 months ago), I haven't had a single person flash me for blinding them.

Since I adjusted the HID's in my regal and painted the bottom of the reflectors (10 months ago), I haven't had a single person flash me for blinding them.

So I honestly don't see where the problem with using an HID kit is, if you do it properly. Driving behind my fiance's mom (who hates HIDs), she noticed a huge difference in how bright they were at her eye level after I blacked out the bottom of the reflectors.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks pretty badass. Are HIDs in the turn signals also? Don't wanna sound dumb, just looks like it in the pic.

that would be a no sir. it looks like that because the HID are so very bright. its cool man, if you hadnt asked, you wouldn't have known.

Since I put the HID's in the bonneville, (6 months ago), I haven't had a single person flash me for blinding them.

Since I adjusted the HID's in my regal and painted the bottom of the reflectors (10 months ago), I haven't had a single person flash me for blinding them.

So I honestly don't see where the problem with using an HID kit is, if you do it properly. Driving behind my fiance's mom (who hates HIDs), she noticed a huge difference in how bright they were at her eye level after I blacked out the bottom of the reflectors.

What you're not getting is there is NO proper way to retrofit gas HIDs into housings made for filament-driven bulbs. You can keep pretending all you want that the laws of physics don't apply to you, but it doesn't mean you're right. Countless lighting experts (like Daniel Stern posted on the last page) have written articles about HID retrofit kits and why they're a bad idea. They're banned in other countries for a reason: they're stupid and unsafe.

That looks pretty badass. Are HIDs in the turn signals also? Don't wanna sound dumb, just looks like it in the pic.

Those are fog lights.

I just saw some on a honda that was an aftermarket for sure. Its not like I got night blindness from it, they were bright. It did not "dazzle" me :lol:

I know they can actually see where they are going, so that outweighs the night blinding effect. It is just not the norm and mostly older people get pissed off by it I think. I want to do this to one of my cars and see how it works out.

Those are fog lights.

Okay, since what I referring to originally were those after all. Come on, I'm a lumina guy. Same spot in the lumina are turns, SO, I guessed. Anyway, so they must be HID Fogs then right???