HID Headlights

tdvs

Saw a thread on this a while back, but can't find it now, so here we go again. Main bottom line guestion. Is there a way to convert the squat, minnie, quad headlights in my '95 CSV to HID? Old thread also contained a web sight, but only added confusion. Pic showed a "controler" and 2 bulbs??? Haven't changed a headlight yet, but thought mine are sealed beam style???

Can someone shed more light :lol: on this subject?

Thanks, Tom

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kwk39018

• tdvs

• slick

• GOT2B GM

There are plenty of online retailers that sell direct replacement HIDs. You basically plug the box into the exsisting wiring plug and install in your headlights.

With the mini quads they are indeed a sealed beam, so you have two options. The first is to just cut off the bulb socket on the back of the light and and use some clear silicone to hold the new bulb in place. The second option is to purchase aftermarket headlights that have been made specifically for use with regular headlight bulbs. These have been made so you can insert any 9006 bulb securely in place and be able to remove it at any time. I don't remember the link off the top of my head either, but they were listed for the 93-97 camaros which use the same mini quads.

MOST EXCELLENT :high5: Just the info I was hoping for :biggrin: And at prices I can afford. :biggrin:

I love this sight...........Thanks all :high5:

Would also like to change all my external bulbs to LEDs. Local custom parts shop has the 3057 LED replacement for $21+ each. Any web sights with good quality LEDs at a better price?

Thanks all, Tom

[me=digitaloutsider]sighs at another uninformed HID thread.[/me]

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I found that mostly untrue. My beam is not scattered and does not blind people either. Whether it is legal or not who cares. I have had mine over a year and not once have they been questioned.

Well mini quads are the most unsafe headlight i have ever seen.I did a bulb swap and still cant get enough light on the road. HID's are the only way to go.Its worthless to drive the car at night.I rather have bright "illegal hid headlights" than stock lights.

Well mini quads are the most unsafe headlight i have ever seen.I did a bulb swap and still cant get enough light on the road. HID's are the only way to go.Its worthless to drive the car at night.I rather have bright "illegal hid headlights" than stock lights.

Eh, just run with brights on :mrgreen:

Lol my Halogen fog lights reach out as far as my stock head lights, I need to do the swap and soon now that it gets darker sooner and the deer are out here in SW Ohio. I see at least 2-3 on the way to school every day

X2 on this. I replaced my H4351s and the road is still dim compared to my other vehicles. I may do a HID replacement, but I'll get some help with aiming and installing.

Lol my Halogen fog lights reach out as far as my stock head lights, I need to do the swap and soon now that it gets darker sooner and the deer are out here in SW Ohio. I see at least 2-3 on the way to school every day

My girlfreind was driving at night last year and hit a deer, with 100watt fog lights and a bulb swap.We still cant see.As soon as i get the car back on the road my next project will be hid swap.

I've **Always** bought my kit from one ebay seller, and they've been excellent. The seller is mydepots. I've bought 4 kits from them already and they've been great. $60 shipped per kit. Beat that.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mydepots/

Just ordered a set of HID fogs for my bonneville's projection fog lamps, since I already have HIDs for the low beams.

:lol2: :lol2: WET BLANKET :lol2: :lol2:

Like these the best so far because they also include the headlight housings.

HID conversions are illegal, and strickly enforced in Europe, but they are made in Germany.............strange :willynilly: Also have more confidence in the quality of something made in Germany than in say....China.

Tom

Thank god.

And, I used to work for a lighting company, one of the best in the business. You never have optics on the lenses with true HID/Xenon lamps. The optics are built into the projector themselves. The optics on the lense will scatter the light, all over the place. I can 100% guarantee you that if you would take them to any testing lab, like the one I worked at, and tested them to pass SAE or FMVSS standards, you would fail miserably.

Thank god.

And, I used to work for a lighting company, one of the best in the business. You never have optics on the lenses with true HID/Xenon lamps. The optics are built into the projector themselves. The optics on the lense will scatter the light, all over the place. I can 100% guarantee you that if you would take them to any testing lab, like the one I worked at, and tested them to pass SAE or FMVSS standards, you would fail miserably.

If they fail miserably, won't be the first time I've wasted money on a hair brain scheme, and won't be the last. At least there are no mods needed, plug and play, so changing back won't be a problem.

Tom

http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

Do these, and be happy. More light output, same power consumption. You will have to modify the plug ever so slightly (a  box cutter knife will work perfect).

Excuse my ignorance, but the top pic doesn't match the bottom two. Or am I missing something?

Which one will fit the mini CSV headlight housing?

Tom

I can't quite remember which bulbs are the aftermarket replacement, but a quick search should do the trick. However, IIRC, they are 9005 and 9006.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=55609.0

Checked out the Corvette sight you left on the old post. I'm impressed. You win. I would be happy with that.

Not cheap, but way less than the Hid swap I was ready to jump on.

Sincere thanks, Tom