1995 - 3.1L vs. 3.4L Engine: Any differences in what you need to look for?

djrobnyc

If I'm looking to buy a 1995, and have it inspected by a mechanic before purchasing, is there anything I would need the technician to look for, specifically in each car? Meaning - are the 3.1L cars more likely to have a certain problem as opposed to the 3.4L equipped cars? Are there any other components which are different between the 2 that I should have checked? Thanks!

Whoooo mercy...Where do I begin?

There's a LOT more to go wrong on a DOHC car (3.4) then a 3100 car.

If you want a cruiser that you don't have to CONSTANTLY maintain, then go for the 3100 car.

If you want something with a little more power but at the cost of CONSTANT maintenance. then go for the 3.4 car.

Really, all the differences lie under the hood on the 1995s. The only outside differences are a lip spoiler and DOHC badging.

I haven't done a single thing other than regular maintinence to mine in over two years. Not single problem, never ran bad, never failed to start etc. Like Jay said, if you want something to just roll around in, go for the 3100 (and swap the tails and spoiler in :mrgreen:). If you want a little fun in your drive go for the DOHC.

I have two 3.4s and maintain them properly. I haven't had a serious problem with either. As with any engine, or any part of the car for that matter, proper maintaince is the key. Take care of it, and it will take care of you. Let it go, and see what happens.

Tom

I have two 3.4s and maintain them properly. I haven't had a serious problem with either. As with any engine, or any part of the car for that matter, proper maintaince is the key. Take care of it, and it will take care of you. Let it go, and see what happens.

Tom

3100's are much more forgiving in the maintinence department, so if you're one to put off oil changes and such I would stay away from the DOHC.

The 3.4 car you were looking at, Rob, sounds like it was neglected and will end up costing you more down the road.

I've put a LOT in my 3.4 car and it STILL isn't running quite right. I've got my wife yelling at me to sell the damned thing and I can't seem to find a damned buyer. :roll:

Yes, the 3.4 requires a bit more of a watchful eye. However, it is not as horrible as most people seem to think that it is. If your willing to do work yourself, repairs can be just as cheap, and even cheaper, than repairing the 3100.