Can this be fixed or is it worth fixing?

Dark Ride

TGPBumper.jpg

the bumper is broken in that spot, can it be fixed or is better to try to find another one

TGPHood.jpg

the lip is really rusty on an otherwise perfect hood, I'm guessing this will have to be replaced

Door.jpg

the door needs repainting someone keyed it hardcore and they just painted over it, but it didn't even match, but my ground effects brackets rusted away, where is the best place to buy these, I'm guessing I'll have to buy universal ones and cut them to fit.  I can just drill out the old rivets and put new ones in can't I?

Thanks,

Mitch

I think your doors will be fine with proper prep, but that hood is just too far gone.

What should I do for prep, it looks like just surface rust. I've seen the inside of the door and it hasn't rusted through. I figured as much on the hood.

doors look pretty solid, maybe the bumper cover... how does the underside of the car look?

underside of the car isn't perfect the lateral links need a good sandblasting, the old fuel tank leaked, the straps are shot, but where the trailing arm bolts to is actually alright. so do you think I'd be better off to try to get a new rear bumper cover, or i heard you might be able to plastiweld it.

Also where is the best place to buy those universal ground effects brackets would any parts store have them, because the nearest body shop is outrageous.

You can try and plastic weld it the bumper. Doesnt hurt to try instead of trying to find another bumper. I'll let you know how my uncle plans to fig my fog lights. But I think its gonna be plastic welded, then fiber glassed.

I think your doors will be fine with proper prep, but that hood is just too far gone.

What should I do for prep, it looks like just surface rust. I've seen the inside of the door and it hasn't rusted through. I figured as much on the hood.

I'm by no means a body expert, but I would sand it down, make sure you get down to the bare metal and POR15 it so it quits rusting. Then go on prepping how you normally would. If the rust isn't anything more than surface rust, you don't need to POR 15 it.

id hate to see the underbody on that thing

x2 That looks like a hell of a rust bucket from just looking at those pics. But if you take your time and do it right, you should be able to get it all taken care of as long as the underside and frame structure isnt compromised.

I know I could repair most of that and repaint the car.

would I want to after doing my car? thats another question.

I repaired my valence with 1/4" metal screen and bondoglass behind it and worked really well. so that bumper would be repairable without welding it but you would obviously have to remove it.

I would get a new rust free hood, and a good j/y bumper cover. Door should be ok.

Because of the multiple layers of steel in the hood, you'll never get it so that the rust won't come back. Been there, done that with my Z.

Honestly, I dont think you will get out of it what you want if you put all that work into it and fix it up... There are alot of things that I see need fixed that you havent mentioned like, louvered hood w/louvers - $150, B4U paneling - $50+, Bumper cover - $50. If anything needs work under the hood, thats even more cash out of pocket, plus getting it repainted.

Keep at it, Mitch, the end result is something you can always be proud of. :cool:

Honestly, I dont think you will get out of it what you want if you put all that work into it and fix it up... There are alot of things that I see need fixed that you havent mentioned like, louvered hood w/louvers - $150, B4U paneling - $50+, Bumper cover - $50. If anything needs work under the hood, thats even more cash out of pocket, plus getting it repainted.

Whew thats $250.. not too bad really. Considering I have put a good $1500 into mine, not including original purchase cost. It is definitely worth it though!

I'm sorry, I should've said that I have both the louvers, I just need to fix the other one, and all the ground effects that are in surprisingly good shape. Engine runs solid. I just took all the ground effects off to see how bad the rust was underneath. I am replacing most of the interior however, it was shot and I never liked the tan, no offense to those that do.

Keep at it, Mitch, the end result is something you can always be proud of. :cool:

Whew thats $250.. not too bad really. Considering I have put a good $1500 into mine, not including original purchase cost. It is definitely worth it though!

Thanks, Nick Its nice to hear someone tell me that it is worth keeping.

I'm sorry, I should've said that I have both the louvers, I just need to fix the other one, and all the ground effects that are in surprisingly good shape. Engine runs solid. I just took all the ground effects off to see how bad the rust was underneath. I am replacing most of the interior however, it was shot and I never liked the tan, no offense to those that do.

Well, in that case, I think it is definately worth working on and fixing up... You will still need a new hood and I have a red bumper cover to spare if your close to NE. I also hate tan.

I'm sorry, I should've said that I have both the louvers, I just need to fix the other one, and all the ground effects that are in surprisingly good shape.  Engine runs solid.  I just took all the ground effects off to see how bad the rust was underneath.  I am replacing most of the interior however, it was shot and I never liked the tan, no offense to those that do.

Well, in that case, I think it is definately worth working on and fixing up... You will still need a new hood and I have a red bumper cover to spare if your close to NE. I also hate tan.

I think I may have found a hood and bumper in a junkyard 10 miles from my house, but i appreciate the offer.

Here is what the other louver looks like

louvertop.jpg

louverbottom.jpg

I figure I'll sand it down and get a good surface and use some JB on the back side since you won't see it, and its stronger than bondo.

I think it just looks bad because it needs to be washed. As long as it runs well, I'd replace the hood and possibly front bumper. Everything else is just cosmetic and can be done whenever you can afford to

what is that on your trunk? it looks like your gutter fell off you house and landed on the trunk. I'd do a body transplant from a good donor IF the rest of the car is perfect.